Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
zuccheroch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,969
Message 201 of 332

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

I downloaded the Windows update last evening and installed it. Modern Standby consumed ~460mW, which is not different from before. Well, not much different if you ignore the 2,000 mW sessions that are everyone else's fault except Lenovo's. I suspect the Windows update fixes the bug when you unplug your power at the same time you put your laptop to "sleep".

Which brings up a philosophical question, should we be saying "put my laptop to sleep" when it doesn't sleep? It's like kid that goes to bed but reads comic books under the covers with a flashlight all night. Then you as a parent have to deal with the consequences in the morning. Perhaps we should start saying we are putting our laptop to bed, but whether it sleeps or not really isn't under our control.

One issue is that Lenovo doesn't seem to care what their customers want in regards to S3. Modern Standby is a buggy, first generation implementation that has been foisted on the market without warning and virtually no software support. In this case Lenovo doesn't care about how business customers currently use their ThinkPads. Lenovo chose Modern Standby and they're not going to let customers force them to admit they were wrong. You like to leave your laptop powered on with the screen off? No! You want your laptop to sleep without turning on in your bag? No! You want to use backup software? No!

The silence from Lenovo on this forum says it all. Days pass with no communication from Lenovo. When there is communication, it is usually to reassure us that Lenovo is listening. There is no status update about what Lenovo is doing to fix the problem. After three months we still have no identification of the root cause of the problem. Or an admission that 400mW power consumption does not meet the design requirements of Modern Standby. Or even recognizing that some of us expected our laptops to SLEEP when we used the SLEEP command!

So Lenovo, what's the plan to fix this? Wait for the September Windows update and HOPE that Microsoft fixes your problem for you?

changsta2004
SCSI Port
Views: 2,929
Message 202 of 332

Well said my friend
jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,783
Message 203 of 332

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep (Yoga X1 too)

I have been monitoring this thread for some time, as for now over a month or two I have been experiencing this same problem with my Yoga X1 3rd generation, and yet to find a solution. There was some update pushed through System Udpate about 1-2 months that make this problem to start happening for me.

On 6/27, Jon_P from Lenovo said he would report back, but there has not been any further information from him. However, his last active session was on 8/03.

Attached are some graphs about what pwrcfg reports on my laptop. 

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Is everyone here in the mode of waiting to see if this gets magically fixed by a new update of a driver/firmaware/bios/OS?

Any other pieces of advise to minimize the impact of this?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,773
Message 204 of 332

In most cases, this is an issue with windows 10.

1. Search for and open “Power options” in the StartMenu.
  2. Click “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left side of the window.
  3. Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
  4. Under “Shutdown settings” make sure “Turn on fast startup” is disabled.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,761
Message 205 of 332

Thanks for the idea, but Fast Startup was already disabled:

Capture3.PNG

juandelia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,729
Message 206 of 332

Hi there!

"Under “Shutdown settings” make sure “Turn on fast startup” is disabled."

For anyone reading this. This is not the solution.

The drain is still happening with this option disabled.

The solution to this problem eventually should be to lenovo to make it possible to enable the old S3 memory sleep back to the game.

Thanks!
ThinkpadBoi1
Punch Card
Views: 2,561
Message 207 of 332

I am really regretting buying a Lenovo Thinkpad. I will look for a different vendor next time!

widerporst
Punch Card
Views: 2,511
Message 208 of 332

A laptop without a working sleep mode is useless, this is ridiculous. I've got the exact same issue with my X1 Yoga 3rd gen. Get your **bleep** together, Lenovo, and put a few engineers on the problem.

By the way, NoHwDrips.C8 doesn't show up anymore draining the battery, but now it's NoHwDrips.C10. No change in drain rate, though. Still about 3% per hour.

urfat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,428
Message 209 of 332

I have exactly same problem with my X1 Carbon Gen6. I actually, just found this forum by google search for X1 battery drain. I naively thought i wont find any solution, but it seems that there is huuge one, and Lenovo is just ignoring us.

Shame on you, i was proud owner of X1 Carbon G3/5 and now 6, but this time, it does not give me good feelings. Problem with battery, problem with sound quality. things getting worse.

kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 1,544
Message 210 of 332

Does this happen on X1 Yoga Gen 3 (kaby lake R) also?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors