Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jean-Paul_Paris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,720
Message 191 of 369

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Hello all, new X1 max option screen, SSD 6 gen.

same issues, with 20 pages can Lenovo forum moderator post DEFINITE solution to this problem?

customers should not be expected to debug Lenovo or W10 issues on the MOST BASIC requirements of a good laptop......Very low or NO power use when sleep mode.

Kind Regards,

J

lunaid
Paper Tape
Views: 1,483
Message 192 of 369

This is not acceptable from a 2000$+ laptop... Lenovo need to fix this ASAP by adding the S3 state to get a real sleep mode.

We just don't give a ... about having the laptop being able to receive notification like a smartphone. There is no screen to display it while the laptop is in sleep, so I just don't get the point...

I hate Apple, but I must admit that I regret to stop my choice on Lenovo. I thought this was a quality Windows machine, but it's not because they failed on such a basic feature and this is not acceptable.

Lenovo please fix this so we can fully enjoy our expensive machine !

zekeblue
Token Ring
Views: 1,440
Message 193 of 369

new windows update came today:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/4343909/windows-10-update-kb4343909

Says:
Addresses an issue that significantly reduced battery life after upgrading to Windows 10, version 1803. 

Don't know if it will help those experiencing the problem, but we should know soon enough. Smiley Happy

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
CvT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,427
Message 194 of 369

One other issue apart from the battery drain on X1C6 that really makes no sense:

You cannot have the display switch off without the laptop entering sleep mode... So while I always used to leave my laptop powered on at night while charging with the display off to synchronise all my data, I actually have to leave my screen burn in all night because it cannot be switched off. Off course modern sleep was supposed to enable synchronisation while sleeping, but only some undocumented Microsoft apps are able to use modern sleep functionality. I have not seen any mainstream software that supports modern standby yet. But then again I turned off all network connectivity in sleep to minimize the huge battery drain during daytime Smiley Sad((((((

Please fix it! Don't be like Apple and force your users to use their laptops in ways they dont't want to using software that doesn't exist yet.

zekeblue
Token Ring
Views: 1,416
Message 195 of 369

I just use a blank screen saver instead of having the display turned off.  No sleep unless entered manually.

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
CvT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,348
Message 196 of 369

So do I now, but your screen and backlighting are still on... Isn't it crazy that we have a laptop of which you cannot switch off the screen without sleep? How does everybody else do their backups? I have a 1TB SSD with critical work on it, so I want a daily backup when at home connected to a wired connection. Even Windows own backup solutions do not support modern standby, every backup used to crash and the only option I have found is to keep the laptop (AND SCREEN) on the whole night.
lastangel18
Punch Card
Views: 1,343
Message 197 of 369

@Cvt

Can't you use power settings to turn off the screen after X minutes?

CvT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,332
Message 198 of 369

On a normal laptop yes. But since the X1C6 is a modern standby laptop having the screen turn off after x minutes in Windows automatically puts the laptop to sleep (and crashes by backups). Windows power configurations options have different effects on laptops with modern standby than on normal laptops.

lunaid
Paper Tape
Views: 1,319
Message 199 of 369

I agree with CvT, I experimented the same issue while trying to sync my whole Google Drive and was not able to do it unless to keep the screen and the laptop open. Modern Standby is trying to fix something that is not broken..

Highlighted
zuccheroch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,128
Message 200 of 369

I downloaded the Windows update last evening and installed it. Modern Standby consumed ~460mW, which is not different from before. Well, not much different if you ignore the 2,000 mW sessions that are everyone else's fault except Lenovo's. I suspect the Windows update fixes the bug when you unplug your power at the same time you put your laptop to "sleep".

Which brings up a philosophical question, should we be saying "put my laptop to sleep" when it doesn't sleep? It's like kid that goes to bed but reads comic books under the covers with a flashlight all night. Then you as a parent have to deal with the consequences in the morning. Perhaps we should start saying we are putting our laptop to bed, but whether it sleeps or not really isn't under our control.

One issue is that Lenovo doesn't seem to care what their customers want in regards to S3. Modern Standby is a buggy, first generation implementation that has been foisted on the market without warning and virtually no software support. In this case Lenovo doesn't care about how business customers currently use their ThinkPads. Lenovo chose Modern Standby and they're not going to let customers force them to admit they were wrong. You like to leave your laptop powered on with the screen off? No! You want your laptop to sleep without turning on in your bag? No! You want to use backup software? No!

The silence from Lenovo on this forum says it all. Days pass with no communication from Lenovo. When there is communication, it is usually to reassure us that Lenovo is listening. There is no status update about what Lenovo is doing to fix the problem. After three months we still have no identification of the root cause of the problem. Or an admission that 400mW power consumption does not meet the design requirements of Modern Standby. Or even recognizing that some of us expected our laptops to SLEEP when we used the SLEEP command!

So Lenovo, what's the plan to fix this? Wait for the September Windows update and HOPE that Microsoft fixes your problem for you?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors