Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crblack82
Punch Card
Views: 3,994
Message 361 of 384

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

...and on the 7th run back to C6 - C8 sleep.

SoC Subsystems -> NoHwDrips.C6-C9 -> NoHwDrips.C8 -> NoHwDrips.INTERNAL_BLOCKER

...nail in the coffin -- back to s3 sleep state I go.
Ravenstein
Punch Card
Views: 3,119
Message 362 of 384

The OP mentioned issue still persist with my X1C6@Wx, with the BIOS 1.30 I observed 8% battery drain while sleep over night! But with my dual boot to MacOSx no battery drain! and the marked solution does not help my issue.

------

hereby the Wx output:

powercfg.jpg

The only solution I could think about is go hibernation in stead of sleep in Windows

---------

even worst than the battery drain in sleep mode, is the battery capacity degradation. after ~6 months's purchasing, my newly battery has only 90% battery lifetime with most time with power cord!

means that some settings in Windows 10 is wrong or in general Windows is a virus?

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 3,071
Message 363 of 384

Nope, that should work.... At least, that's the wanted S3 sleep state.

I don't think you charged anything with your laptop overnight...

"most time with power cord!" .... according to some people, thats the worst for a laptop battery, since it gets hot all the time. However, we do not have a choice to remove the battery on AC, so I think thats not the worst way of using the laptop.

I just looked it up in lenovo vantage, ... 58,61 Wh with full charge, 57 Wh planned...so it seemed, that I still have 103% of the battery lifetime. What was you starting value when you bought the laptop? 

NW_X1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,992
Message 364 of 384

First time posting here!

Another frustrated user with the Windows Modern standby. Had a rough time with it like you all and finally solved it somewhat with the Lenovo USB Selective Suspend Patch discussed here. Kudos to SomeOtherGuy!

Also found this setting (Smart Standby) in the Vantage, which combined Modern Standby and Hibernation. Probably this explains the symptoms you are having!

2019-02-03_21-25-52.jpgVantage Smart Standby

NW - Lenovo X1C 6th Gen

Ravenstein
Punch Card
Views: 2,891
Message 365 of 384

thanks for sharing your experience!
Just now I generated again battery report using "powercfg"
--------------------
   NAME                                           01AV431
  MANUFACTURER                       SMP
  SERIAL NUMBER                         xxxx
  CHEMISTRY                                 LiP
  DESIGN CAPACITY                     57,020 mWh
  FULL CHARGE CAPACITY          51,410 mWh
  CYCLE COUNT                            25
--------------
which means my battery degraded 10% below its design capacity after 25 times charging count and 6 months after purchase! what a shocking, my 6 years' old Ideapad U310 still has 87% initial capacity with the same very careful owner of me! what a contradiction!
I really worry next year of today what's degradation would be 20%?! 30%?!

PS: your mentioned 103% of initial capacity is wrong and impossible. You can never improve/increase the battery design lifespan. That's not logical at least.

my summary is S3 mode may work with Linux/MacOS, but not with Windows!

It may be Windows hidden threads override S3 pwoer management, that Windows override user's setting on stop auto update as they always do.

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 2,867
Message 366 of 384

@Ravenstein

PS: your mentioned 103% of initial capacity is wrong and impossible. You can never improve/increase the battery design lifespan. That's not logical at least.

It could also mean that the battery was designed for 57 Wh and actually has more than that. I guess they will aim for something like 58 or 59 Wh to ensure it has 57 Wh, .... so 103% can be possible. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,851
Message 367 of 384

@nicok wrote:

@Ravenstein

It could also mean that the battery was designed for 57 Wh and actually has more than that. I guess they will aim for something like 58 or 59 Wh to ensure it has 57 Wh, .... so 103% can be possible. 

It's not unusual for a new ThinkPad battery to show a Full Charge Capacity greater than Design Capacity for the reason you've suggested. From a marketing/support standpoint it's better to provide >100% initially than <100%. Imagine how a new customer would feel if their brand new battery held only 99% of the capacity it was supposed to hold.

waseem89
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,512
Message 368 of 384

Thinkpad x1 6 gen: extreme battery drainage during sleep mode

I have the issue that it drains significant battery when in sleep mode. it can reach up to 6% per HOUR, which is a lot, I ran sleep study in cmd and it says that I have 2 issues that keep active during sleep mode and drain the battery:

1: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC)

2: Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 (\_SB.PCI0.RP09

just to know: "Always on USB" on lenovo Vantage is off and 

Any idea what might be going on? 

Moderator note: post moved to existing thread.

Ravenstein
Punch Card
Views: 2,442
Message 369 of 384

Re: Thinkpad x1 6 gen: extreme battery drainage during sleep mode

@waseem89

@waseem89 wrote:

I have the issue that it drains significant battery when in sleep mode. it can reach up to 6% per HOUR, which is a lot, I ran sleep study in cmd and it says that I have 2 issues that keep active during sleep mode and drain the battery:

1: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC)

2: Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 (\_SB.PCI0.RP09

just to know: "Always on USB" on lenovo Vantage is off and 

Any idea what might be going on? 

Moderator note: post moved to existing thread.

you may check in BIOS setting on USB always-on, on the other side, I also have an assumption about the drain issue during sleep,i .e. due to malfunctional power management setting of Windows 10, it could even override BIOS setting on sleep/power management set by Lenovo.
also incompatible USB device connecting with X1C6 may also interfere S3/sleep power management, which will incur the battery drain.( so better disconnect any USB device while overnight sleep)

as I have written above, for my dual-boot X1C to MacOS, I have never issue for overnight sleep for any battery drop or even battery degradation(only at WinX).

Again, such a beauty of X1C, but with WinX is a value degradation and disaster!

I have seen a lot people in store platform (e.g. AMAZON) complaining battery drain! for me it is not battery drain, it is battery degradation, i.e. reducing its lifetime! So I am now avoid using WinX with X1C as much as I can.

@Moderator: this thread reported issue is far from solved, please revoke the [SOLVED] tag. Otherwise people are legitimated and also obligate to start a new thread with the same issue/topic.

digi7gang8
Paper Tape
Views: 1,151
Message 370 of 384

Thank God for this thread, it seems to have solved my issues.

Got a brand-new Lenovo Carbon X1 (6th gen.) for work. I had already checked to make sure it was on the Ubuntu whitelist of PC's that work well with Linux, so I was extremely distraught to learn that the fan kept working after closing the lid, and that after sitting overnight, the PC would be down to around 2-3% battery capacity.

The solution was to update the BIOS from the command line as described elsewhere, boot up into BIOS and changing the power setting from Modern (Windows 10) to S3 (Linux). I left the PC sitting overnight again, and woke it up to see a 7% battery decrease. This is a far cry from  the abilities of my last MacBook Pro, but it's good enough. Now I can move on with my life :-)

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors