Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrHouse1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,515
Message 1 of 45

X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Hi,

I purchased a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen (20KG) this week.

I have the issue that it drains significant battery when in sleep mode (connected standby).

I ran the microsoft sleepStudy (powercfg /SleepStudy) and identified that the battery drain in "modern standby" is still 1300mW. That equals 2.4% battery / hour, whereas the modern standby should get below 0.33% battery/hour.

As a result the battery is essentially empty if you charge in the evening and put the notebook into sleep over night.

The battery drain is dominated (~99%) by the entry "Fx Devices" - "Standard NVM Express Controller (\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX)", which has 100% active time (i.e., is active during entire standby period).

In device manager, I find the entry "Storage controllers" - "Standard NVM Express Controller", which looks fine and is a Microsoft driver in Version 10.0.17134.1.

I cannot find a more appropriate driver on the Lenovo page. The Lenovo NVMe firmware upgrade tool (if related at all) tells me that no FW upgrade is available for my model LENSE20512GMSP34MEAT2TA.

Regarding my System: I purchased the X1C without operating system, installed an existing windows 10 home. I installed all updates up to build 1803. I installed Lenovo System Update and installed all available items / drivers. Also I updated the BIOS from the Lenovo support page.

My questions:

- Do you also have this kind of strong battery drain in sleep mode?

- Do you also have the Standard NVMe Microsoft driver, or am I supposed to have a more specialized driver?

- Any suggestions / solutions from Lenovo?

Best

Joe

Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 1,448
Message 2 of 45

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

I got the same problem.

Guru
Views: 1,413
Message 3 of 45

I know this post was about a X1 Carbon 6th Gen.  I have a X1 Yoga 3rd gen.  Its similiar enough I will say that I have the same problem.  I made a separate post last week but no one responded on it.  I have turned off fast start up and turned off USB charging.  I still lose 2-7% day when i fully shutoff.  As I mention in my other post,  I had the same problem on my TP25 but when i turned off fast start up that fixed the problem.  But on the X1Y3 i still have same problem.  I saw on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8j2wr1/x1y3_battery_drain_issue_on_standby/

Other people are posting same issue on X1Y3.  I have tried leaving it on charger for an hour after it hits 100% thinking maybe it says 100 but its really 97% and thats why the next day it shows less battery but thats not the issue.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a kudo!
TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p
DrHouse1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,410
Message 4 of 45

Hi green5178,

thank you for your input. I assume, your issue may be related, as fast startup appears to be a mixture between hibernation and standby.

However, to keep the thread a bit streamlined:

Can you say what your discharge rate is in Sleep mode? Start command line as admin and type

powercfg /SleepStudy  /output "C:\sleep_report.html"

That will generate a sleep report on c:\, where you can see the discharge rates of your last standby periods. I think those periods might need to have a minimum duration of like 30 minutes to be logged. As I said, I have 1300mW wheareas modern standby should by 10x lower.

Also, does your sleep report also state, that NVMe standard controller is responsible for the battery drain?

Best, Joe

Guru
Views: 1,368
Message 5 of 45

Here is the sleep report you asked for in regards to standby.  I do not show anything in regards to nvme.

standby.PNG

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p
DrHouse1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,361
Message 6 of 45

You're drain appears to be 3x lower than mine.

If you click on one of the red table rows, you'll see the details of this sleep period where you can identify the "top offenders" of the sleep being deep and drainless.

For me that looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Guru
Views: 1,324
Message 7 of 45

Here are my top offenders.

off.PNG

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p
Guru
Views: 1,322
Message 8 of 45

Also based on the post I linked to above the other day from reddit I disabled thunderbolt in BIOS.  It looks promising.  I turned off laptop with 96% power last night.  This morning I'm still at 96%.  I'll confirm over the next few days if it reduces loss to 0 as my other laptops.  1% over a week would be ok for shut off but not 7% a day.  With that being said I dont think i should have to turn off thunderbolt to get power loss to 0.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p
DrHouse1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,309
Message 9 of 45

I disabled wake on Thunderbolt and the Thunderbolt port itself in BIOS without any effect.

Still very high drain in sleep of about 75% per day caused by Standard NVM Express Controller.

I think my issue is not related to yours.

Can anyone confirm my issue on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen?

Any input from Lenovo?

shakes1
What's DOS?
Views: 1,245
Message 10 of 45

I am seeing the same thing. I'm losing ~4% an hour during sleep. The sleep report hasn't been terribly helpful as there are almost no details provided by it for every modern standby session that has happened over the past few days. There is no data on top offenders or even data showing the amount of battery drain, I only know it's been about 4% an hour by checking the battery meter myself when I resume from sleep.

Top Kudoed Authors