Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,061
Message 91 of 317

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Really?

I think Lenovo should clarify this to us.

Either this problem is caused by something faulty of the hardware design,  or it is a software isusse and can be fixed by software upgrade, Lenovo please provide us a solution SOON !!!

MountainSilence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 938
Message 92 of 317

They fixed it. I installed 3 recent updates yesterday and something is fundamentally better, here is my latest sleepstudy report: 

sleep.png

Note that I had long ago changed my machine to only stay in modern standby for 120 minutes then automatically hibernate to save the battery because of the issue, but during that 2 hrs my drain which has always typically been around 2,800 - 3,000 mW was now only 359 mW. I installed several updates off the site and I'm not sure which one it was exactly:

updates.png

I'm positive it was one of these 3, just not sure which one.

absolut20
Punch Card
Views: 929
Message 93 of 317

Let us know if its still working in 24 hours. Mine seemed to be fixed for a bit as well but then reverted to high battery drain in sleep. I believe I have all those driver updates installed already as well but still high drain.

MountainSilence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 906
Message 94 of 317

absolute20, two of those updates came out just in the last couple days, you would have had to install them literally a day or two ago. 

Cavman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 901
Message 95 of 317

I haven't checked the "sleep" functionality yet (will do that tonight), but I did install the Intel Thunderbolt Controller v17.4.76.300 this morning (July 11) from the Vantage app and the X1 Yoga is running MUCH quieter (fans haven't kicked on at all today while plugged in which is very rare) and seems MUCH better overall. System is silent now. 

Will report back on sleep tomorrow, but perhaps this Thunderbolt controller driver has been a mis-behaving app in the background.

Thank you in advance to the Lenovo and Intel software engineers for (hopefully) finding us a fix for the HWDrip issue.

absolut20
Punch Card
Views: 838
Message 96 of 317

Are you on a X1 Carbon 6th? That was what this thread is about. I don't see any updated drivers from the past few days for my laptop. If you are on X1 yoga its great if they fixed for you, hopefully they can apply the same fix for us. My drivers are all current as per their driver page (I check daily due to this issue).

dwpfister
Serial Port
Views: 783
Message 97 of 317

I didn't find it either for the X1 Carbon Gen6 but just installed the Automatic Driver Update on my machine (we run a corporate image and manage drivers out to our machines), and I do see 17.3.74.400 in the list of drivers to update - it's actually installing on my machine as I type this.  Will give a full report in a bit as I've had the constant fan when plugged in issue for a while.

dwpfister
Serial Port
Views: 764
Message 98 of 317

So my X1 Gen6 is on all the latest drivers and firmware (for TB, BIOS, and Intel Management), and I see no difference with the fan.  Going to monitor the sleep mode tonight and see if that's any better.

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 724
Message 99 of 317

Hi @Cavman and @MountainSilence, I didn't find any update on Intel Thunderbolt Controller for my X1 carbon 6th via the Vantage app or on Lenovo website. You guys are X1 Yoga users, right?

Can you confirm us that this really solves the HWdrip issue on your Yoga? Hope Lenovo will release a similar fix for X1 carbon users soon.

Hi @dwpfister, where did you get 17.3.74.400 update?
MountainSilence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 715
Message 100 of 317

@pmidy wrote:
Hi @Cavman and @MountainSilence, I didn't find any update on Intel Thunderbolt Controller for my X1 carbon 6th via the Vantage app or on Lenovo website. You guys are X1 Yoga users, right?

Can you confirm us that this really solves the HWdrip issue on your Yoga? Hope Lenovo will release a similar fix for X1 carbon users soon.

Hi @dwpfister, where did you get 17.3.74.400 update?

Yes, I've got an X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, but the insides seem to be very close to the same to the X1 Carbon 6th Gen.

Doesn't look like Lenovo has posted the same Thunderbolt driver update here for the X1 Carbon 6th yet, but keep watching for it as I bet it will show up soon. Easy way to check there is pull down the "release date" option at the top, select "last 30 days", then hit the "expand details" link and scroll looking at dates. I did this daily and it's pretty easy to know when something new pops up that way.

Potentially you can just download and install the same one for the X1 Yoga from here if you want to try it. Go to device manager and under "system devices" find the Thunderbolt controller, the one on the X1 Yoga is "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 15D2" so if it's the same the driver should certainly work.

So far my standby performance is still much better, still not amazing but way better than before.

Top Kudoed Authors