Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 835
Message 101 of 318

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Hi @MountainSilence, thanks for the tips.

Just find an update of "NVMe Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility" released on July 5th.
Have installed it to see if it improves.

I think if Lenovo believed that they have fixed the issue, it would be better that they also provides us some sort of guideline here to allows us test it.
dwpfister
Serial Port
Views: 812
Message 102 of 318

@pmidy - It was actually released in April according to the Drivers page..   When I ran an auto scan on the page today it was one of the drivers listed.  My machine now has all available updates/FW/drivers and I see no differnece in the fan or battery loss during sleep.  Attached Screenshot of what I saw when I did a scan today 

Cavman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 753
Message 103 of 318

Have an X1 Yoga 3rd Gen. It is almost identical to the X1 Carbon so keep checking the Vantage app (I check it once per day).

As for last night's "sleep" battery drain, it was MUCH better, but still not as good as it should be. 

Put computer to "sleep" at 5:07pm with 99% battery and "woke" it this morning at 7:27am with 92%. So I lost 7% over 14.5hrs or .48% per hour.  That is a HUGE improvement over the 2-3% per hour I was seeing before. Would only lose 1-2% per 12hrs with my prior MacBook Pro, but still a HUGE improvement. 

Ran the sleep report and did not have any HWDrip issue, nor any "RED" colored offenders in the report drawing power all night. 

Will check it again tonight to verify that last night was not a fluke.

Thanks to the Lenovo and Intel software engineers for continuing to work on this issue. 

absolut20
Punch Card
Views: 737
Message 104 of 318

I put my laptop into sleep mode last night with 95% battery. Woke up this morning, the laptop was warm and it was down to 48%. Unacceptable battery drain. All the latest drivers are installed. NoHwDrips still showing as the problem.

Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 706
Message 105 of 318

I have been having the same problems also. Never had these problems with my Mabcook Pro. Lenovo will blame Windows and Windows will blame Lenovo. We close the lid on our laptop before going to be bed only to wake up and find battery dead or close to dead

Yasseraa
Paper Tape
Views: 649
Message 106 of 318

I'm having the same issue. The battery also drains quickly when in basic use. Something in the software is causing this. Lenovo should really address this.

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 634
Message 107 of 318

Installed the latest “NVMe SSD Firmware", nothing improves. Battery drain is the same as before.

Hopefully, Lenovo will bring the fix to X1 carbon soon as they did for Yoga.
Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 625
Message 108 of 318

I am thinking the best solution is the box that this Thinkpad  came in. I have give it quite a bit of chances and time but the Costco return policy is closing in and Apple just announced the new MacBook Pro models today. With the X1 I don’t know who is at fault Windows of Lenovo for all these little issues here and there.

ThinkpadBoi1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 566
Message 109 of 318

I can confirm that this issue is still present on a X1 Carbon 6th with Windows 1803, BIOS 1.25 and all other driver + firmware updates installed.

Cavman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 110 of 318

Those of you with X1 Carbons should hang in there  a few more days if you can. I believe the solution is the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver - 10 [64] - V.17.4.76.300 (for the Yoga).  Hopefully, Lenovo will have a new Intel Thunderbolt driver for X1 Carbon holders soon.

This driver update has dramatically changed the way the X1 Yoga runs while plugged in (almost always silent now), and has drastically improved the sleep drain.

Last night (2nd night of testing), I put the computer to sleep at 5:18pm with 100% battery. This morning, I "woke" the computer at 7:20am with 93% battery remaining. 0.5% drain per hour. Still not as good as my old MacBook Pro, but significantly better than the 2-3% per hour I was getting before the most recent Intel Thunderbolt driver update.

Looked at the Sleep report and there were no "red offenders" and the "NoHWDrip" issue is completely gone.

Thanks to the Lenovo and Intel software developers for continuing to work on this. I do still believe that 1-2% drain per night should be the goal, but 7% over 14hrs is pretty good.

Best of luck to the X1 Carbon owners. Perhaps check the Lenovo website for driver updates each morning, apparently the driver updates typically take a few days to a few weeks to show up in the Vantage app for some reason.

Top Kudoed Authors