Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jazzy01
Core Memory
Views: 2,614
Message 11 of 346

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Lenovo removed traditional deep sleep (ACPI S3 sleep state) in favor of a new, Microsoft-driven sleep state called Windows Modern Standby, aka Si03. See this article in linux forum: https://delta-xi.net/#056
vhopkins
What's DOS?
Views: 2,520
Message 12 of 346

I have the same issue.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,493
Message 13 of 346

@ vhopkins: Can you state your battery drain rate, so that we can get some statistics and comparability?

Run command-line "powercfg /sleepstudy /output c:\sleepstudy.html" as admin and check your battery drain rate as shown on my screenshot below (blue circle).

Capture.PNG

Meanwhile, instead of installing a rather old Win10Home and doing all the updates afterwards, I did a fresh installation with a installation medium with newest Win10Home 1803, installed the remaining microsoft-deployed updates, and then the available driver updates through Lenovo System update.

Again, I had a battery drain rate in sleep of around 1300mW. This time, however, not "Standard NVMe controller" but some network / wifi activity was listed as reason. This is kind of understandable, considering that the new "modern standby" allows some network activity in sleep mode.

Next, in Settings, System, "Power & Sleep" I changed the lowermost option "When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network" to "Always". Now, I have around 900mW battery drain and no suspicious activity at all (see screenshot).

Capture2.PNG

No Activators, no Offenders with significant wake time. So the summary sais that the Hardware is in "low power state" for 99% of the time, which sounds like a good thing. Nevertheless, I believe 900mW is still way too much for a modern PC.

Please let's collect some numbers for the battery drain, to get an impression.

Deamon615
What's DOS?
Views: 2,449
Message 14 of 346

I have a 6th Generation ThinkPad X1 Carbon and I'm having the exact same issues.  Unfortunately I can't run the sleep diagnostic becuase this is a work-issued laptop and I don't have admin rights, but what I've observed falls in line exactly with what everyone has described.  When I sleep the computer I can still hear the internal fans running and feel warm/hot air pushing out of the laptop in my bag.  Check a couple hours later and it's still humming along and blowing out warm air, even though it's asleep and not in use.  Really frustrating, will be following this thread hoping for a solution that I can point my IS team towards.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,438
Message 15 of 346

Maybe you can instead state how much battery you lose per hour in sleep mode, e.g. by putting the notebook sleep for at least 2 hours.

I think 0.3% / hour is considered ok, which makes 14 days of sleep until empty.

I have 1.5% / hour.

Deamon615
What's DOS?
Views: 2,426
Message 16 of 346

Mine is pretty significant - over a 14 hour period I go from 100% down to almost empty. So about ~7% per hour.
Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 2,423
Message 17 of 346

@Deamon615 wrote:
Mine is pretty significant - over a 14 hour period I go from 100% down to almost empty. So about ~7% per hour.

I am going to test mine tonight also. The other day I left mine unplugged at night and just closed the lid on my laptop. When I woke up in the morning the battery was dead and it would not start until I plugged it back in. Probably 9-10 hours or so. Never had that happen with my MacBook Pro. This is starting to remind me of FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily).

ejgallego
Punch Card
Views: 2,412
Message 18 of 346

It really defies understanding how Lenovo has not yet addressed this, it is by far the most critical issue we are all facing _for a bussiness_ laptop; I don't care if my keyboard light flickers or make noise, that's an annoyance but I can live with it, but sleep? That just kills my work day.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,382
Message 19 of 346

Hm... Now my initial problem is back and the device "NVMe Standard controller" causes drainy sleep phases with 1000mW to 2000mW drain rate. This is annoying!

rh78
Punch Card
Views: 2,335
Message 20 of 346

Running my X1C Yoga 3 exclusively on Linux (Fedora 28) and am seeing battery drain of 2 to 3W/hr (by the way this is the same battery drain I get when the the screen blanks after a period of inactivity without closing the lid).  This translates to around 3-5% battery drain per hour.  I have given up on modern standby and am using hibernation.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors