Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

Same thing, nearly 5% drain an hour!

Screenshot attached below

zaphot
SCSI Port
Views: 1,589
Message 22 of 321

i have to use both linux and windows and both show this sleep problem: huge power consumption and also the device remains quite warm while sleeping...

Would be nice if lenovo could implement a bios option to enable normal s3. By the way is there any advantage for using this Si03, i don't see any...?

TobiasHch
Paper Tape
Views: 1,482
Message 23 of 321

+1, Lenovo please provide classical S3 Standby mode with some beta bios etc. I have the exact same issue with my X1 Yoga 3rd generation i7 which makes sense as the X1 Yoga 3rd and X1 Carbon 6th have much identical hardware despite from the touch screen.

My X1 Yoga 3rd also turns to standby mode (Thinkpad dot is blinking red) but the fan keeps running almost all the time. If the fan is not running, the laptop itself still gets hot. I keep it in a laptop bag and this whole bag warms up!

I put it to sleep at 8pm with a fully charged battery and in the morning at 8am (12 hours later) the battery has about 5% left.

All drivers installed from Lenovo, newest Windows 1803 build. I tried to disable hibernation (and supposedly hybrid standby) by entering "powercfg -h off" in a Command prompt line as admin, but this did not make a difference at all..I guess this is hardware/Bios related at the moment.

This is a business notebook and I paid around 2500 USD for it, please implement basic standby functionality in the X1 Carbon 6th and X1 Yoga 3rd asap @ Lenovo.

chivitli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,402
Message 24 of 321

+1, this sleep mode uses way too much battery, I don't dare leaving laptop unplugged overnight. I hope we can have an option to choose between the classic and the modern standby, otherwise I'd rather have them implement the old standby, imho battery preservation in a day to day use wins over not so important functionality the new standby mode brings.
Floyd2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,396
Message 25 of 321

Same problem. Tried ratcheting up Win10 and BIOS settings to no avail!

Will try hibernation, but other comments indicated it doesn't make a major difference. (I hope that's wrong).

VERY DIAPOINTING for a $2500 notebook.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,392
Message 26 of 321

Hibernation works fine for me, no significant battery drain.

However, that's not the same... Startup after hibernation takes much longer than from standby.

I do fully agree... Standby performance would have been acceptable 15 years ago. Very poor for a today's premium device.

And very disappointing that no feedback comes from Lenovo.

I've also had a support ticket, yet the service guy could not even tell me if this is the expected battery drain or if it is a problem of my very device, as he had no access to a X1C6 to test it.

Very disappointing.

Cavman
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,303
Message 27 of 321

I also have the same issue on an X1 Yoga Gen 3. 

Put it it to sleep and lose about 6% per hour. 

Have tunes off fast startup, have disallowed usb charging on sleep or shutdown, to no avail. 

Most recent sleep report showed the “DAM phase” as the main culprit. It was running the entire time the computer was supposed to be asleep. 

Lenovo - PLEASE FIX THIS. MacBook Pro (5 years old) that i replaced with this Yoga would lose like 1% per night.

sleep battery drain is a problem. Trying to keep this thread on the main page so “Someotherguy” or another person from Lenovo might see it and make some suggestions. 

Thank you in advance for your help Lenovo. 

juandelia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,265
Message 28 of 321

Hi there!

Same problem here.

Im really glad to have found this, since this problem is so well explained and detailed on this thread.

I have a X1 Carbon 6th gen bought a few weeks ago and if I leave the computer closed and with out AC the battery drains in 4 to 5 hours, and some times its still warm with fans on.

What Bios do you have? Mine is 1.15 and I see there is a 1.22 update available that I will try this afternoon.

Please Lenovo, at least give a ACK of the problem so we know you will be working on a solution!

Thanks to all,

Juan

Arjov
Punch Card
Views: 1,249
Message 29 of 321

@DrHouse1 wrote:

Hi,

I purchased a Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen (20KG) this week.

I have the issue that it drains significant battery when in sleep mode (connected standby).

I ran the microsoft sleepStudy (powercfg /SleepStudy) and identified that the battery drain in "modern standby" is still 1300mW. That equals 2.4% battery / hour, whereas the modern standby should get below 0.33% battery/hour.

As a result the battery is essentially empty if you charge in the evening and put the notebook into sleep over night.

The battery drain is dominated (~99%) by the entry "Fx Devices" - "Standard NVM Express Controller (\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX)", which has 100% active time (i.e., is active during entire standby period).

In device manager, I find the entry "Storage controllers" - "Standard NVM Express Controller", which looks fine and is a Microsoft driver in Version 10.0.17134.1.

I cannot find a more appropriate driver on the Lenovo page. The Lenovo NVMe firmware upgrade tool (if related at all) tells me that no FW upgrade is available for my model LENSE20512GMSP34MEAT2TA.

Regarding my System: I purchased the X1C without operating system, installed an existing windows 10 home. I installed all updates up to build 1803. I installed Lenovo System Update and installed all available items / drivers. Also I updated the BIOS from the Lenovo support page.

My questions:

- Do you also have this kind of strong battery drain in sleep mode?

- Do you also have the Standard NVMe Microsoft driver, or am I supposed to have a more specialized driver?

- Any suggestions / solutions from Lenovo?

Best

Joe

tried. for 1:27h I got 830mW consumption or 572mW per hour. Top offender being "NoHwDrips" (I don't know what it is) . Uhm on a reported 57910mWh battery capacity 572mWh is a 0.98% per hour. Feels quite in line with all my other devices using connecred standbye. I'm quite sure I can lower that disabling the wifi but I use the Wake up on WLAN function. Guess I can tolerate this 1% per hour drain Cattura.PNG

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,188
Message 30 of 321

Hi Arjov,

Unless you mistyped the "830mW" and you actually meant "830mWh", you should not divide the value by 1.5 and you would end up with 1.5%/h. (mW is drainrate, mWh is an amount of energy drained).

1% / h appears acceptable... All others here have reported 2.5-7% / h.

Although I've now seen 1%/h also in reviews of other notebooks, it's strange that sleep study rates this as high drain (the corresponding line is red in your report). Sleep study will rate the sleep behavior well-behaving (green) for values below 0.3%/h. And this tool is 5 years old whereas we deal with the very newest interested CPU...

I believe Drips means that your notebook goes to deep sleep and how long these periods of deep sleep last until it wakes up shortly to check if there is something to do.

Top Kudoed Authors