Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Klowny
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 371 of 377

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

This is all pretty absurd. Paying over 1k for a laptop that drains like it is 8 years old. 

Klowny
Punch Card
Views: 1,028
Message 372 of 377

Re: Thinkpad x1 6 gen: extreme battery drainage during sleep mode

I agree. This definitely isn't solved.
digi7gang8
Paper Tape
Views: 702
Message 373 of 377

Posting again here almost two months later.

While the problem seems to have initially been solved, issues definitely remain. I check to make sure PC is suspended, but I've experienced on multiple occasions now that it simply runs out of battery (while suspended) after a day or two, not quite sure when exactly.

For example, I'll put it into suspend on Friday afternoon. When I open the lid Sunday afternoon, it's dead and won't boot until I attach AC. I'm on Linux sleep state.

Pretty frustrating that this is the state of modern PC's in 2019.

Klowny
Punch Card
Views: 678
Message 374 of 377

Mine was never fixed with updates or anything like that. I've just come to accept that leaving it on over night is a death sentence to the battery. 

ThinkPad_Slave
Paper Tape
Views: 537
Message 375 of 377

I'm hopefully cautious that I've found a solution because I love my X1C6 otherwise.  So I think this all stems from the fact that the BIOS and the 6th gen carbon allow for something called Modern Standby (aka S0i3 in Windows sleep states). It's meant to be a standby mode that mimics phones or tablets where the power draw is supposedly minimized (screen off) but network adapters are still on. I don't think it works real well as my X1C6 would drain in <24 hours when in this state. When I would look for it from another machine in an app like TeamViewer - it showed a status of available and I was able to connect to it immediately which suggested it was just on. What's been most frustrating is that I bought my wife an identical X1C6 and hers did not experience the battery drain and seemingly stayed in true sleep mode.

I've been looking for solutions since I bought it last year but I finally lucked out on my latest Google search today.  There's a batch file that Lenovo seems to have released in Nov 2018 that allows you to turn off the network radio(s) that I'm hoping finally solves this problem. I've only had my machine asleep for 6 hours now but so far so good!

Specifically, in the Additional Information section of the link below:
1) Download the PowerCfg.zip.
2) Unzip
3) Run a command prompt as administrator
4) Run the batch file Set-Power-DisconnectedModernStandby.bat

My machine's dispaly settings instantly became dimmer (presumably because it lowered the default brightness setting) but ever since, it appears that it's stayed in sleep mode.  Only a couple multi day tests will confirm but I'm hoping this finally helps the avoid battery drain.

Some disclaimers: if you rely on connections to your machine while in "Standby" mode like through Remote Desktop, you probably don't want to use this.  Likewise, I'm wondering if Wake on Lan will work if you're using a hardline but I don't care about these things and just want Standby like we all know and love.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht507599

Steve187
What's DOS?
Views: 452
Message 376 of 377

My battery drains too much while in sleep mode. What can I do?

ThinkPad_Slave
Paper Tape
Views: 246
Message 377 of 377

Please see the post immediately preceding yours. I found a solution that works well for me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors