Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MountainSilence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,210
Message 41 of 332

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

!!!SOLUTION FOUND!!! - from this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/8p7q2i/x1c6_battery_drain_during_sleep/

"I think I've beaten the issue finally. I've contacted Lenovo support. They suggested to turn off Always-On USB in BIOS. It did the trick!"

I tried this and it worked for me as well. After setting everything else back to the defaults and changing this USB BIOS setting the report from my "powercfg  /sleepstudy" command shows standby sessions that aren't "red" and use very little power

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,182
Message 42 of 332

Hi @MountainSilence, thanks for the reference.

Will try this and report the result on my machine latter today.

DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,178
Message 43 of 332

Please also state hard numbers for the drain rate.

(I've occasionally had gray indicated sleep phases that appear to be not properly recorded. Nevertheless, the drain rate was actually not lower in these gray phases).

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,148
Message 44 of 332

Hi, MoutainSilence. Just checked my BIOS setting and I have already turned "Always-On USB" off. Still got 14% battary drain in 10 hours.

The main reason is the same as I have posted in a previous post. I guess I have to live with it until Lenovo fix this.
pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,087
Message 45 of 332

Follow some guide online, I run the following command

powercfg /enegry /output engry-report.html

I found one error shown as below.

4.png

Is this the main reason for the battery drain in my case? Dose anyone know how to fix it?

chivitli
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,065
Message 46 of 332

No change for me with turning off Always-On USB in BIOS. I disabled it, and still got 15% drain in 6.5h last night. The top offender is:

USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC) Fx Device 97% 6:21:22
DrHouse1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,062
Message 47 of 332

Also for me: no change by disabling USB always on!

Before: about 750mW = 1.4%/hour drain rate.

After: about 800mW = 1.5%/hour drain rate.

Essentially no change.

Reason appears to be SoC NoHwDrips in both cases, as others have described before.

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 1,036
Message 48 of 332

SadSmiley Sad

It has been a month since this issue has been raised.

I got my unit for only one week and it already drive me crazy. Is there anyone from Lenovo that would ack this issue and look into it?
MountainSilence
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 49 of 332

Ok, my previous post where I said "!!!SOLUTION FOUND!!!" and said turn always-on USB off actually didn't work for me either. I had few short-duration standby cycles that looked good, but an overnight test revealed I was really in the same state I always was.

Some more investigating revealed detailed articles from Microsoft on Modern Sleep and how to debug problems with it as well as what DRIPS acutally is. See this article, and this one, which suggest that the next best step is to run the WPA tool (download here) to get a trace of power usage. 

WPA.png

I'm going to try that soon and see what it reveals, has anyone tried running the WPA tool before?

CvT
Fanfold Paper
Views: 927
Message 50 of 332

Same problem here, battery drain is bad...

Modern standby drives me nuts, putting the my X1 Carbon 6th gen to sleep at unpredicable moments. It completely ignores the power settings in Windows, because even when I set it to sleep:never on AC, it stills goes to sleep while plugged in Smiley Sad((

I have not been able to make a single backup from my laptop since every backup failes half-way because the laptop thinks it needs to go to sleep. So the only way to make a backup is to stay put with the laptop and physically keep it awake by moving the mouse, it is insane!

Top Kudoed Authors