Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benjaminbusch
Paper Tape
Views: 1,039
Message 61 of 332

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Battery drain in sleep

I also have this frustrating problem with my X1C6. I have turned off Always-On USB in the BIOS and deactivated Smart Standby in Lenovo Vantage. Still having the same problem.

It's very concerning to pull my laptop out of my bag most days to find it very hot, because some process has been running while I expected it to be asleep on battery power.

Thank you for taking your customers' concerns seriously and solving this issue hopeflully in a swift manner!

benjaminbusch
Paper Tape
Views: 1,038
Message 62 of 332

I mean, come on, seriously? I have "Smart Standby" disabled in the Lenovo Vantage app!

lenovo.PNG

lenovo2.PNG

benjaminbusch
Paper Tape
Views: 971
Message 63 of 332

...this is my current workaround. It takes about 6 seconds for the login screen to show up after opening the lid. Acceptable, but not ideal for a €2,500 laptop.lenovo3.PNG

scooter5aa
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 64 of 332

Battery drains in sleep mode; sleepstudy points to USB Root Hub, Bluetooth

I have a Lenovo X1 6th Gen. Ever since I had to reinstall windows (after an seemingly unrelated issue where I had to have the motherboard and battery replaced), my computer battery drains significantly when in sleep mode (30-70% overnight). Calling Lenovo tech support was a waste of time; they said to update the bios (which only fixes a security issue for processors) and put in a new battery (even though the battery is nearly new and in Good health). I already did all of the standard checks, to make sure sleep mode is activated, there are no waketimers, etc., all of which looks normal.

I discovered the "powercfg /sleepstudy" tool, the results of which I have attached (converted to a PDF with the relevant sections expanded). This confirms the massive battery draining overnight. It shows the Top Offenders as the USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC), then specifically says USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) then Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R). Maybe this means my USB Hub and/or Bluetooth are turning on throughout the night even though it is supposed to be in sleep mode?

I do have bluetooth on as I use a bluetooth mouse when I'm plugged in. I just updated my bluetooth driver to see if that helps, though the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) already has the most recent driver. I'll also try disabling bluetooth before putting it to sleep, however even if that solves it that's not a great fix since I'd have to turn it on and off every day. While testing these, please let me know if anyone has any ideas how to prevent these from actively running throughout the night in sleep mode. Thanks so much!!

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 928
Message 65 of 332

Yes, this is totally unacceptable for such an expensive laptop.

scooter5aa
Paper Tape
Views: 856
Message 66 of 332

I have the same problem as everyone with my 6th Gen X1. Interestingly it was fine when I first got it, but I had to have my motherboard and hard drive replaced, and since then I have had the issues. Please see my attached sleep study. It seemed to show USB or Bluetooth involved somehow. I disabled USB charging in the BIOS, which did nothing. I then disabled my Bluetooth, and that helped but only reduced the discharging by 50%. While useful to know, it's annoying to have to turn off Bluetooth when I put it to sleep. Anyone seen Bluetooth involved and found a way to get around this without turning it off? I've also tried hibernation to get around this, but when it comes back from hibernation the computer is super slow and has to be restarted anyways.

After turning off the Bluetooth, instead of the USB/Bluetooth being involved, I have a new issue coming up, which is NoHwDrips. Does anyone have any idea what that is? Thanks!!

abcpdo
Paper Tape
Views: 806
Message 67 of 332

I too have this sleep drain problem. I think it started pretty recently, with nohwdrips now using up ~3000mW on sleep. I've tried all the solutions posted here, to no avail. The sleep study says it has something to do with the SSD, so I agree it might be the PCIe power management at fault. It seems thinkpad users in the past have had similar issues before: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/PCI-Express-Active-State-Power-Management-...

absolut20
Punch Card
Views: 773
Message 68 of 332

My sleep study looks the same. It seems the hardware never gets into deep sleep (HW always shows 0% DRIPS), causing battery drain. Lenovo - please investigate this nohwdrips issue!

derek1284
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 697
Message 69 of 332

I am also experiencing unexpectedly high drain rate in modern standby. Very disappointing in a top of the line laptop. Lenovo, PLEASE give us a BIOS update with the option for S3 sleep (suspend to RAM). Even if you can get the modern standby issues worked out, it physically cannot get as low as the S3 power draw.

pmidy
Vacuum Tubes
Views: 674
Message 70 of 332

Agreed.

Hi lenovo, please fix the modern standby sleep issue soon. Otherwise, please consider providing S3 sleep as a workaround.

I know the Linux user community has hacked its own way to make S3 working.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/X1-Carbon-Gen-6-cannot-enter-deep-sleep-S3-state-aka-S...

I also noticed you have provided X1 Yoga (3rd gen) BIOS update with S3 sleep support. See  this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Fan-stays-on-when-it-s-in-sleep-mode/m-p/4128...

I assume that providing S3 sleep support to X1 carbon won't be a big problem. Besides, the Linux user community can also benefit from this fix.

Top Kudoed Authors