Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DotA1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,188
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 6th Gen Boot Order Lock

Hi - we have the X1 Carbon 6th Gen systems (20KG, 20KH) with the latest BIOS version 1.13 manually installed. On first reboot after imaging with Win10 the process stops at the message "Boot Manager recovered from an error; Boot Manager has restored Boot Priority from default configuration; Press ESC to continue or F1 to enter Setup."
When pressing ESC the PC boots right into our Win10 image.  Have tried rolling back the BIOS verson to 1.12, same results.  Then changed the Boot Order Lock from "Disabled" to "Enabled" in the Startup section of the BIOS and had sucess without the error. 

My question is: Since all of our other Levovo systems image fine with the Boot Order Lock set to "Disabled", what may be different in the X1 Carbon 6th Gen for this behavior to be different? 

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,167
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Boot Order Lock

How are you applying the image? Are you using SCCM, and PxE booting to the 6th gen?

If so, are you using the Ethernet Extension cable Gen 2 to access the built in ethernet subsystem?

Make sure you are deploying Windows 10 1709 on that unit, as it uses 8th generation processors...

DotA1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,121
Message 3 of 9

We are using PXE with the extension cable but are using an older Win10 version (1607 and 1703). Could the Win10 version be the issue with the BIOS setting?
Lieutenent77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,893
Message 4 of 9

Hi,

I have encountered the same issue running Win 10 1803 image deployed via SCCM task sequence.

Attempted a number of configs in BIOS and boot order lock is disabled, Disabled DeviceGuard and CSM on with various other combo's to no avail.

As confirmed by DotA1, previous models are fine. 

Using ethernet dongle to PXE boot.

Has anyone found a potential soultion for this? 

Many thanks

DotA1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,882
Message 5 of 9

It sounds backwards but we had to change the Boot Order Lock from "Disabled" to "Enabled" in the Startup section of the BIOS and had sucess without the error. 

Lieutenent77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,874
Message 6 of 9

Thanks. Will give this a go tomorrow.

DotA1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,871
Message 7 of 9

Please post if this worked for you too. Thanks!
Lieutenent77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,832
Message 8 of 9

I can confirm that has worked for me. (BootOrderLock to Enabled) Task sequence now runs without any interaction after that change

Will now automate the change of that setting within OSD to allow zero touch (PXE aside)

Thanks for your help on this

Elias9545
What's DOS?
Views: 757
Message 9 of 9

Hello Lieutenent77,

I know this topic was solved almost a year ago but I'd like to append another question. For me settint the Boot order lock to "enabled" also helped with most of our devices but on our T540p the problem persists. I am also trying to run a Task Sequence via SCCM to update our OS from 1607 to 1803. Do you guys use T540p and experience a similar issue or do u use them and the solutions works for them too? 

Kind regards
Elias

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors