cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piljekks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,380
Message 1 of 21

X1 Carbon 6th Gen - Coil Whine/Dock Issues!

Hi Community,

Have a X1 Carbon 6th Gen with Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock - issue is, after high CPU load or sustained use throughout the day, the displays attached to the dock will flicker/shut off completely, and a very audible coin whine/metalic hard drive sound can be heard from around the thunderbolt 3 port area (left side)..

If the dock is unplugged, the sound goes away. If the machine is rebooted, the sound goes away and dock will function normally for a few hours before having the same issue.

Anyone had issues similar?

Admin note: link to OneDrive requesting log in credentials removed.

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,220
Message 2 of 21

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen - Coil Whine/Dock Issues!

Brand new X1Y3 plus ThunderBolt 3 dock user here. I have not seen any display flickering, but my TB3 dock has very loud coil whine under certain scenarios. The weird thing is that it happens for example when I load a bunch of Chrome tabs at once. In this case there is not much on the screen (since those tabs are in the background), but the dock 'chirps' reasonably loudly, indeed at "mechanical HD" levels. 

Working hypothesis: if the CPU+GPU draw a lot of power, the dock charging circuit is loaded heavily which might cause some response in the charging circuity. I'm just guessing here, but initially I though it was display activity related, but now I think power/charging issues are more likely. Also seems to match your scenario, minus the part where it gets worse after a long time of high CPU.  

piljekks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,206
Message 3 of 21

Thank you so much for this post!

The Lenovo admin team seem to have removed my OneDrive link claiming there is a login prompt (not a phishing site, and the video can be viewed publically without login), so I've uploaded it to Youtube on unlisted instead.

https://youtu.be/xE4p5ViipeQ

Is this noise similar to what you are experiencing? The Google Chrome tab theory is 100% spot on, this is what I find to trigger the issue. I have a tech onsite today replacing my motherboard and a new docking station being sent out.

Surely if this were a power delivery issue with the dock, it would be far more widespread and reported on?! 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 3,197
Message 4 of 21

@piljekkswrote:

Thank you so much for this post! [..] https://youtu.be/xE4p5ViipeQ

Is this noise similar to what you are experiencing? The Google Chrome tab theory is 100% spot on, this is what I find to trigger the issue. I have a tech onsite today replacing my motherboard and a new docking station being sent out. Surely if this were a power delivery issue with the dock, it would be far more widespread and reported on?! 

It sounds a little different than mine, and in my case the sound definitely comes from the TB3 dock itself. To me your example sounds a little more 'sputtery' whereas in my case it's almost more like an 'electric hiss'. Very much like my previous experiences with coil whine, but quite a bit louder. 

I'm also surprised I don't see more reported on this. I did a google search for Lenovo TB dock related noise issues, but no luck. At least it's 100% reproducible, as far as problems go that's a plus. Smiley Happy  I'm curious whether the motherboard swap alone will fix things. 

renetr
Paper Tape
Views: 3,154
Message 5 of 21

I heard the same sound from my X1C6 yesterday. I also have the TB3 dock, but I am convinced that the sound came from the laptop, not the dock. It went away after a restart. Still not sure what triggered it, and haven't been able to reproduce. 

piljekks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,133
Message 6 of 21

The noise is coming from the laptop, definately. When your noise/issue occured, did your external monitors turn off and come back on?

The motherboard and CPU heatsink/fan was replaced yesterday - once the machine was powered back on and the tech had left, I noticed the fan at 100% usage - checked AIDA64 and it was thermal throttling 60% and CPU temps of 95+ degrees on idle.

I won't say how I fixed it, but if you ever have a technician out onsite, be sure to inspect their work as there is a plastic cover on the CPU shield that someone may forget to remove causing the CPU to not make contact with the heatsink at all. Smiley Happy 

renetr
Paper Tape
Views: 3,128
Message 7 of 21

Not 100% sure, but I think I remember that the external monitor (VGA) switched off and on again. My primary focus was to put an end to the suffering of my new laptop - and so it all went a bit fast..
jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 3,104
Message 8 of 21

@joesixgigwrote:

Brand new X1Y3 plus ThunderBolt 3 dock user here. I have not seen any display flickering, but my TB3 dock has very loud coil whine under certain scenarios. The weird thing is that it happens for example when I load a bunch of Chrome tabs at once. In this case there is not much on the screen (since those tabs are in the background), but the dock 'chirps' reasonably loudly, indeed at "mechanical HD" levels. 

Working hypothesis: if the CPU+GPU draw a lot of power, the dock charging circuit is loaded heavily which might cause some response in the charging circuity. I'm just guessing here, but initially I though it was display activity related, but now I think power/charging issues are more likely. Also seems to match your scenario, minus the part where it gets worse after a long time of high CPU.  

I'm also a X1Y3 user with a thunderbolt 3 dock. I think I hear the exam same noise as you do! I haven't noticed if the noise is worse / more noticeable with prolonged use, but when the noise happens, it's not continuous and I can reproduce it very reliably with clicking the start icon. To me the noise seems to be coming from somewhere close to the eithernet cable, but I'm not 100% sure. I am nearly 100% sure that the noise comes from the dock and NOT the laptop itself. 

I read in a post on the forum that it's due to inadequite insulation and the person posted said s/he was disappointed by the quliaty of a product that comes with such a premium price tag... 

piljekks
Paper Tape
Views: 3,101
Message 9 of 21

I think you may be having a different issue. The noise with mine is 100% coming from the notebook itself. The thunderbolt controller is under the "1" key, and this is where the noise is coming from.

With the new motherboard today, the issue has not occurred yet - however one of my screens does still randomly turn off and back on during the day (annoying but not a shower stopper).
Highlighted
jackzh2011
SCSI Port
Views: 3,029
Message 10 of 21

To be honest, I can't tell anymore if the noise if coming from only the dock or both the laptop and the dock. When I was doing an SSD performance, during one test I heard very constant, audible noise today and noticed a ~66% SSD performance drop with the "coil whine". I posted it here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-Decreased-SSD-performance-wit... and on Reddit. Did you guys experience this issue at all? 

Thanks!

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors