Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,870
Message 1 of 35

X1 Carbon 6th Gen Freezes

My brand new 6th Gen freezes and has to be hard booted. Also, from time to time the Touchpad can become choppy and while that is happening the Bluetooth mouse exhibits the same symptoms.  A diagnostic test indicated no hardware issues. I am thinking it is a software issue.  One dicovery I have had is that for a certian touchpad they use there is a glitch in the Synaptics driver that can cause this intermittment problem. Also, I think it could be the Wifi. When using Task Manager I have watched the Wifi peg intermittently and when that happens the CPU pegs too.  In a T version Thinkpad I owned a few years ago I had to olny use the lower speed on the Wifi and it soleved all my problems. I am fearful this may be the case here too.

Anyone had any freezing issues with their 6th Gen laptop.  Really horrible to have this happen right out of the box.  Have downloaded and installed every driver their is available to try resolve the problem as well.

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,779
Message 2 of 35

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Freezes

I changed the adapter on the 2.40 GHZ channel from auto to 20 mhz and no problems so far and the laptop's performance has improved. It has only been two hours but I have never went more than a 1/2 hour without a problem
elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,769
Message 3 of 35

Too good to be true. Starting freezing again and have to hard boot to get out of it. Calling Lenovo
Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 6,748
Message 4 of 35

God!! Finally I found someone who has the same problem.

So I have just got the Laptop out of box yesterday and it keeps freezes with no obvious reasons. I have not done anything intensive other just browsing the Web. Sometimes it works ok but often time it starts acting up after 20 mins after booting. My screen will freeze for like 3 seconds and my keyboard and touchpad become not responsive. Sort of like the machine is doing a slow motion itself, and after 3 or 4 seconds it response and then freeze again, I cannot fix it until I restart the machine.  I also tried to restore the entire system and that doesnot work either. I also ran Lenovo diagnostic, does not seem like it's a hardware issue either. And today I went to the tech support center at my University, ran bunch of tests and updated my BIOS, again, THE PROBLEM STILL OCCURS ! I am honstly so done with this thing, The tech person told me according to my discribtion it seems like, if it's not a software problem, it might be a defected SSD, he guesses. Anyway, Now I am typing these words on the x1, and it seems to be fine, but honstly I do not know when will it (oh **bleep**,it's acting up right now)act up. Plus, when the power adapter is pluged-in, the fan will sometimes  boost up itself for no reason. 

And I notice when it freezes, the cpu boosts to the maximum clock speed which is at 4.1 GHZ for even just not doing anything??????

I have already ordered a exchange and see how that will work out. Honstly man, right out of box, this is just frustrating.

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,744
Message 5 of 35

Hi Calvin: 

We have had an identical experience. Mine freezes the same way and diagnostics were good. Have to boot as well. Anyway I have requested a replacement. Customer service is working on that now:  Waiting for them to get back to me for any questions in 24 - 36 hours. My view hearing from you they have some defective part that has been put in a batch and you and I got them.

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,742
Message 6 of 35

Oh forgot; my CPU pegs when it happens too
Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 6,732
Message 7 of 35

So just to update,

I realize that my carbon x1 turbo boosts itself even without the heavy workloads. I am guessing the overclocked CPU is heating up quickly but the fan did not run as fast as it should, as a result, it throttles and starts freezing. 

Could you please check whether your CPU does that as well? You can check your CPU speed in Task Manager. Because right now I am using third party software to temporarily disable the turbo boosts and I see a quick drop in temperature, so far it has not been acting up yet.

Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 6,726
Message 8 of 35

NVM BRO 

IT'S STILL FREEZES

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 6,717
Message 9 of 35

Yep just happened. CPU pegged with very little workload. When they call me going to mention I know two of us with the same problem. There will be more you can bet on that. I would call them and insist on a replacement. Nothing we can do to fix this.
Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 6,694
Message 10 of 35

Just to further update at this issue in case other people have the same problem.

There is definatly a problem related to the hardware. 

Today I went back to the tech support center at my university, we suspcted it might be those pre-loaded Lenovo apps that are causing the CPU to peg, therefore we wiped out the entire system and installed a clean Windows with no Lenovo pre-load apps, problem STILL OCCURS. 

Therefore, If you have the same problem go contact Lenovo for a exchange or return, it's not something that can be fixed on my level.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors