Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,734
Message 11 of 35

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Freezes

Initiated my request for a replacement yesterday. Have not heard anything yet. I am going to do my best in my case to make sure they know they have a problem that they may have not recognized yet
elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,621
Message 12 of 35

Hi Calvin:

Thought I would let you know got my replacement 6th Gen and no problems at all. Seems we got a bad batch
Expatmark
Punch Card
Views: 2,611
Message 13 of 35

@elbooko wrote:
Yep just happened. CPU pegged with very little workload. When they call me going to mention I know two of us with the same problem. There will be more you can bet on that. I would call them and insist on a replacement. Nothing we can do to fix this.

You have 3 months if you buy from Costco to return. I bought mine from Costco just because of this return policy. Had a feeling I may run into problems with new X1. Lenovo will blame Microsoft and Microsoft will blame Lenovo.

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,602
Message 14 of 35

yea would not disagree that problems can arise. I have all my software installed and have used it in many different ways. Zero issues. It has been a week.  The first 6th gen I got was freezing up and CPU was spiking right out of the box. Really a different experience. My 4th gen I got two years ago I am replacing never had an issues either.  Seems it is the luck-of-the-draw and that Lenovo definitely has manufacturing issues whether it be assembly mistakes or defective parts or both.

Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 2,598
Message 15 of 35

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. I've also received my replacement about two weeks now and had no issue whatsoever. Now the fans are a lot more active and whenever the CPU has higher clock-speed the fans kick in immediately which was not the case on my first machine. I hope Lenovo finds out what's going on quickly. 

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,383
Message 16 of 35

We just got a batch of these in the office and we've noticed similar behavior on some of them. This only occurs when it's docked though. With the exact same programs open and everything idle the CPU stays around 0.8-1.0ghz and the temps are around 40-42c un-docked.  

When it's docked the CPU is sitting at 3.8-4.2ghz and the temps are into the 60's and 70's. After about 30 minutes of being docked the freezes start to occur. 

During this entire time the CPU utilization is never over 10% even though the clock speeds are maxing out. 

The fact that this is only happening on a few units makes me think it's a hardware defect but the higher clock speeds make me think it could be a software bug but even at high workload there shouldn't be freezing. 

So maybe thermal hardware or software (firmware) issue -> causing high CPU speeds and temps -> causing freezing? 

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,365
Message 17 of 35

Update: It doesn't appear related to the dock. I undocked it and plugged the included power cable in and it's still sitting at 0-3% cpu utilization with the CPU at 4.1-4.2ghz.

My temps reached near 100C and things started to freeze a bunch: 

Capture.PNG

This reminds me of when I used to OC and everything would start locking up. I'm betting this is a thermal management / firmware bug. 

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,320
Message 18 of 35

So the 5-6 I've seen everyone's CPUs are maxed out over 4ghz with barey any CPU usage. Using Core Temp they just get hotter and hotter and there's no throttling going on. We've now noticed the freezing on 3 of them. The current hypothesis is it's related to the most recent BIOS update as I don't think this occured prior to folks doing the bios upgrade. I may try downgrading to see if it fixes it. 

elbooko
Paper Tape
Views: 2,306
Message 19 of 35

The first X1 6th gen I got was in April before the Bios update and it froze constantly. The replacement machine works like a charm. Another guy on this thread a couple of months ago had sent his in to their desktop department and they wiped it of all OEM software and reinstalled and still happened. Would bet a lot of money it is a hardware manufacturing issue and they definitely have a problem. It seems about 30% are bad off of the manufacturer’s line which does not speak well for Lenovo 

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,244
Message 20 of 35

I'm fairly confident this is related to a batch of laptops that got the wrong power profiles loaded from the factory. 

See this thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-gen-Fan-Noise/td-p/4053561

Specifically this issue from Lenovo: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht506625

"Users may notice the following symptoms when the ThinkPad is connected to AC power:

1. Excessive fan noise
  2. Task Manager shows that the processor is running at maximum speed, even if no CPU utilization. 

The fan noise and processor speed may be reduced when the ThinkPad is unplugged from AC power."

"This issue happens because of an incorrect setting that was applied in the factory preload.  The incorrect setting causes the processor to idle at max turbo speed, which may generate excess heat and cause the fan to turn on."

After applying this hotfix and the new Windows update there's a power slider option when clicking on the Windows battery (not the Lenovo one) that lets you change the idle states: 

Capture.PNG

I'm not sure increasing or decreasing the slider actually impacts performance though as Intel Turbo and Intel Speedstep have been proven to work without causing a performance hit as they ramp up the speed instantly. 

This has fixed my mouse stuttering issues as well. I believe it was related. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors