Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 1,839
Message 21 of 35

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Freezes

Hi there. 

Yep, sounds about right. Contact Lenovo and ask for a new machine. They do the replacement job pretty well, I got my replacement before I even send back the old one. LOL Smiley Happy Only I would be happier if they give me a functioning machine first hand.

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,833
Message 22 of 35

See my previous comment. I'm saying you don't need a new machine. The wrong power management settings were installed at the factory. This is a simple matter of applying a hot fix. All new Lenovo's had the correct profile applied. 

Calvin0824
Paper Tape
Views: 1,822
Message 23 of 35

Hi there. 

Yes, I did read your comment and I also think your post is very helpful for people who have the same problem. But the reasons why I said it might be better to ask for a new machine is that.  1)  All I did was chatting with the Lenovo representatives online, it’s easy and no charge. 2) It might be an easy fix for you, but there are also people who are less educated on these computers and afraid to make changes in the system 3) The excessive heat that was produced during the malfunction might  protentially damage the hardware in a long-run since the fans were not able to properly send it out  and I felt the overheating was quiet severe at some point. 4) Speaking from my experience,I had to hard-reboot the system every time it freezes. Because there was just nothing else I could do to fix it. And my first machine freezed at least 20 times, that means I had to hardreboot at least 20 times in two days of usage.  Would this also damage the machine? Maybe, maybe not I am not sure. But I am sure to keep using a newly purchased, over 2k dollars computer that has these many potential risks is not what I wanted.  Meaning if it’s Lenovo that messed this up, then they should be apologetic and send me a new machine, as a costumer I think I deserve that. Let alone all the frustration I had dealing with it and the work I had lost because of hard reboots. At the end of course, you have every right to do whatever you want to your machine. Fix it or get an exchange. And I am glad that Lenovo and people like you finally realize this problem and came up with a good solution. Thank you and Good luck ! 

kpshaver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,820
Message 24 of 35

Yup that all makes sense! 

Acasto
What's DOS?
Views: 1,770
Message 25 of 35

While the CPU spiking could cause the input to lag, I think these are two separate issues. The CPU running hot is just due to the power profile and is really easily fixed with jsut a couple PowerShell commands. The intermittent freezing issue though is different and seems like an Intel issue. I've noticed some new Microsoft Surface users complaining about the same thing. Disabling "Screen Self-Refresh" in the Intel graphics control panel power settings pretty much solved it for me. It has occasionally cropped back up after undocking from a TB3 dock, but rebooting seems to fix it in those rare occasions. 

EijiK
Paper Tape
Views: 497
Message 26 of 35

I had same symptom and it has been solved by disabling 'Panel Self-Refresh' from Intel Graphic Control Panel > Power, in my case. I am not 100% sure of your case but it will be worth to try!

Refrence:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-Latest-Intel-HD-Gr...

Cheers,

Eiji

PHIMA
What's DOS?
Views: 322
Message 27 of 35

EIJI,

I've been fighting with my machine for 9 months. I narrowed it down to the video card.

Then saw your post. YOU SOLVED it, many thanks. You have cut my workday by 2 hours

since I don't have to deal with the freezes anymore (it's been 24 hours so far). Thank you

very much.

Yhua
Paper Tape
Views: 199
Message 28 of 35

If I start my x1 carbon laptop with plug-in of another screen, it kept frozen after I unplug it. looked like the new generation laptop switched the display but still looking for the previous screen. it doesn't happen to my other x1 generation laptops. don;t know how to resolve it in addition to restart after unplug.
Yhua
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 29 of 35

The problem is resolved if I started the laptop without other devices plug-in. It is fine to plug in/out later.
tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 164
Message 30 of 35

I have the same problem, Lenovo told me to update the drivers. But no luck at all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors