Highlighted
XiP
Paper Tape
Views: 2,979
Message 1 of 14

X1 Carbon 6th Gen HDMI Not Working and Thunderbolt Missing

Machine: X1 Carbon 6th Gen, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Everything is up to date through Lenovo Vantage / Windows Update

Issue 1: HDMI port is not working, no output detected on any monitor. Same HDMI cable / monitor using a different laptop works just fine.

I did everything here already : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-gen-HDMI-not-working/td-p/40915...

Issue 2: Thunderbolt 3 is not detected in Device Manager under System.

Tried everything here already: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-gen-BIOS-update-broke-external-...

In summary I've tried pressing the little button on the bottom the laptop, toggling Thunderbolt BIOS assist, and reinstalling the Thunderbolt drivers but those have not resolved the issue. Any other suggestions I should try?

MSC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,840
Message 2 of 14

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen HDMI Not Working and Thunderbolt Missing

We're having the same issue as you described. Yesterday the laptop was working fine and today it started behaving like this. 

XiP
Paper Tape
Views: 2,813
Message 3 of 14

I ended up opening a support ticket and sent the laptop into the depot for repair. They had to replace the motherboard.

MSC1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,788
Message 4 of 14

Unfortunate you had to do that. :/ 

My tech found a way to get ours working. In his investigation he discovered the that Thunderbolt (TM) service was stopped on the machine. It was set to manual start. He changes this to automatic, restarted and everything worked fine after that. 

viktu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,313
Message 5 of 14

Same issue here. Yesterday Lenovo Vantage updated Thunderbolt Firmware using this package:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/es/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Now I have two expensive bricks: my dock at home, and my dock at work. Incredible...

I've uninstalled and reinstalled thunderbolt drivers, with no luck. Trying to run thunderbolt firmware update says theere is no thunderbolt controller, and looking into device drivers there is no thunderbolt controller.

Any clue?

Thank you

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 2,308
Message 6 of 14

AFAIK, a TB3 device has to be plugged into the TB3 port to get its Device Manager listing to show up (normally).

That being said, a clean reinstall of the TB3 software and drivers did the trick for me (must disable "nhi" service to successfully uninstall). But I did not have the HDMI issue. This is in a long line of issues that have caused me to completely lose faith in Thunderbolt and eGPUs. I will never, ever make this mistake again.

cellarguyva
What's DOS?
Views: 1,850
Message 7 of 14

Simliar problems here as this thread and the other.  In my case my Thunderbolt is showing up, and all drivers have been updated, but still no functioning HDMI.  Thunderbolt service appears to be active and running as well.

Any further thoughts?

BMO-Ott
Paper Tape
Views: 1,834
Message 8 of 14

I have the same problem and have gone through the same steps for my X2 Carbon 5th Gen. without any resolution.  I can't find a fix.  Driving me crazy since one day my HDMI monitor connected monitor was fine and now it doesn't work.  Cable and monitor are fine.

viktu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,809
Message 9 of 14

I reinstalled the computer from scratch, tried different versions of thunderbolt drivers, from old to new ones, nothing worked. None of the docks where recocgnized, and Thunderbolt device did not appear on devices list.

I opened a case and got my motherboard replaced. After that all worked again.

It's a shame that a firmware upgrade can brick a feature like thunderbolt. Intel is going through a bad path...

apander
What's DOS?
Views: 1,110
Message 10 of 14

I had a very similar issue but none of the posted solutions worked.

- Thunderbolt was continually looping from installed to uninstalled

- Couldn't re-install the drivers

- The thunderbolt service couldn't be restarted or stopped

The add/remove hardware notification sound was driving me nuts nevermind that I couldn't power up my laptop or use the displayports.

The resolution was a simple battery reset. The reset pin is top right 5cm in from the right hand edge, 10 second reset and the problem resolved.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors