Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-25-2019

New Zealand

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen HDMI Not Working and Thunderbolt Missing

2019-04-25, 23:18 PM

We have purschased 2 of X1 6th Gen and both of them driving us mad with HDMI issues. After trying everything in the community the problem has became temperamental

Options

148 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

580 Signins

3869 Page Views

• Views: 3869
  • Message 12 of 18

2019-05-01, 19:53 PM

I wonder if it's HDMI or just output in general.

I've now realized one of the display issues I've had falls into this category.

Display isn't detected if I plug it in (works now), then unplug it, the plug it back in (now it doesn't work). Windows cannot find the second display, nor can the Intel Graphics Commander Center.

Doesn't matter if it's through an USB-C dock or directly connected. HDMI will not work. I haven't tried with DP, yet.

For now, I've been putting the system to standby, then plugging in the dock. This seems to make the display work again, until my next dock/undock cycle.

Options

5 Posts

04-25-2019

New Zealand

4 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 13 of 18

2019-05-01, 22:28 PM

Hi Jeremy,

I think we have found the problem.Both machines has been working fine after the change.

Just had a look at all the windows service, Thunderbolt(TM) Service by defualt has been set to manual start. Just open that and change to "Automatic".

Options

148 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

580 Signins

3869 Page Views

• Views: 3869
  • Message 14 of 18

2019-05-03, 20:19 PM

wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

I think we have found the problem.Both machines has been working fine after the change.

Just had a look at all the windows service, Thunderbolt(TM) Service by defualt has been set to manual start. Just open that and change to "Automatic".

Hello Oceanever

Thanks. It didn't resolve my issue, though it did help.

Now, with the same conditions as my previous post, detecting HDMI monitors (whether using the port or an USB-C dock) still fails. However, if I plug in the HDMI monitor then restart the TB3 service, the monitor becomes detected.

At least I have something now. Previously, the laptop was just failing to detect the monitor, and I had little recourse beyond either a standby cycle (not guarenteed to work) or a reboot.

Either way, among with the other "minor" TB3 related issues, a few issues with Intel's single channel wifi cards, and a very poor DCH rollout for their IGP drivers that required weeks of DIY work to fix... This has all shaken my faith in Intel's software support. I also will not buy any laptop that requires the TB3 controller (specifically, the attached PMIC) to charge. I've had enough problems dealing with this poorly executed technology from Intel.

Options

1 Posts

04-15-2020

Poland

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 15 of 18

Re:X1 Carbon 6th Gen HDMI Not Working and Thunderbolt Missing

2020-04-15, 8:54 AM

Hello, I had similar issue, after some driver updates HDMI stopped to respond, I found that Thunderbold device is not shown in device manager. I found solution on another thread on this forum, perform reset - save your work, use paperclip at small hole at the bottom and power up again. For me worked like charm, TB and hdmi are running again.

Options

11 Posts

04-20-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 16 of 18

2020-04-20, 15:41 PM

i cant seem to find the NHI service.  is it possible newer versions of TB have a different service?  i do have a thunderbolt TM service

Options

1 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 17 of 18

2020-12-13, 17:47 PM

I'm having this same issue.  It has been going on for a year now.  I tried all the things with the reset then I updated the software package as they described but it won't let me update the firmware.  I have it set to automatic.  I've opened thunderbolt app then checked in device manager and it still doesn't show up under system devices.  No amount of reboots or resets are doing anything for me.  I have been using an alternate laptop since this 6th gen x1 will no longer output to a monitor at my desk or for presentations.  The most recent thing says that the old firmware can damage the chip.  I think that might have happened on mine.  Kind of crap since this is an 1800$ laptop used for my business.  

They also show that lenovo isn't covering it if you are out of warranty.  I was in warranty when it happened but they didn't put out any info on the fix until mid year and never contacted us directly.  I purchased it directly through lenovo business page so they have all of my info linked to this serial number.  Do they expect us to have to find them for an issue that could completely destroy our laptop?  I feel like that burden should be on them and this is their problem which should be covered.

Options

2 Posts

01-03-2021

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

1 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 18 of 18

2021-01-03, 16:04 PM

Hi,

You can try to use a paperclip to hit the reset hardware reset button under the laptop (small hole on the back). This allows Thunderbolt and the monitor to work for me but the problem with reoccur intermittently. (I don't think this has any negative side effects but at your own risk).

I have had THREE motherboards so far and all have had the same issue so I wouldn't recommend forking out for a new board.

Better just not to buy a Lenovo again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms