Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liface
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,396
Message 1 of 13

X1 Carbon 6th Gen - No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system

Bought a used X1 Carbon 6th Gen and am trying to hook it up to a Dell U2711 monitor via a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort adapter. Monitor doesn't receive a signal. Borrowed my roommate's T480 and used the same adapter and it works fine, so I know the monitor and cable aren't the problem.

Then I go investigate the Thunderbolt controller on Lenovo's forums and find some other people with the same issue, several replies point to a driver and software update that fixed this. I install the Thunderbolt software is fine. Then I go to install the Firmware, and it says:

---------------------------
Thunderbolt(TM) Firmware Update Utility
---------------------------
No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system
or Thunderbolt(TM) software is not present in the system.

Make sure you have Thunderbolt(TM) software installed.
Then connect Thunderbolt(TM) device and press OK to retry or press Cancel to abort firmware update process.

Sure enough, I open Device Manager and Thunderbolt isn't even recognized.

UlBFn7N 

Anything else I can try? Keep in mind that both of my Thunderbolt ports do transmit power without an issue via the AC adapter.

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,353
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen - No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system

Hello,

Please follow the below step to fix this issue.

1.Open Device Manager and click System devices. Right-click Thunderbolt(TM) Controller-15BF/15D2 and select Uninstall device.

2.Open Control Panel and view by Category. Click Programs-> Programs and Features -> Uninstall a program. Right-click Thunderbolt software and select Uninstall.

3.Download and install the latest Thunderbolt software from Lenovo Support Web site.  

a, Install that Intel Thunderbolt Software for WINDOWS 10(17.4.78.500/17.4.78.21).

URL:https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

b. Install Thunderbolt Firmware(17.0.0.3-N23TF18W).

URL:https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Liface
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,350
Message 3 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen - No active Thunderbolt(TM) controller found in the system

There is no Thunderbolt controller in my System Devices. That's the entire point of this post.

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,332
Message 4 of 13

Hi,

Please reboot PC and press F1 go into BIOS->Security->I/O port Access .Check Thunderbolt(TM)3 device is enabled ?

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 2,319
Message 5 of 13

Hello,

Hello,

1, Is there exist a base system device under the device manager->other device ?

2. Please make sure the internet are work and try to scan for hardware change at device manger after reinstall that Intel Thunderbolt software . Usually, that controller can able to found and install driver automatically.

Liface
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,292
Message 6 of 13

Thunderbolt is enabled in BIOS.

I don't see anything about Other devices:

soURVeJ.png

I'm having the motherboard replaced under warranty tomorrow. Hopefully that will do the trick.

itgpqb57
Paper Tape
Views: 2,246
Message 7 of 13

Hello,

Is this problem solved? It seems that the issue is more than  year old.

I had it in July 2019 two weeks after I bought the laptop. I got very poor support from Lenovo helpdesk. They offered a motherboard change. Then, I  accidentally found some updates which solved the issue. No idea why they did not know about that solution.

The same problem repeated in October 2019. Again, I solved it myself checking updates. The mass email from Lenovo about the solution came AFTER I solved it myself.

Now, AGAIN I have the same problem this morning. I tried the updates but they do not solve my problem now.

I cannot afford to leave the computer for a motherboard change; I need it for an major client deliverable.

1) Is there any solution through software update? PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME THE LINK FROM OCTOBER; I HAVE TRIED IT ALREADY

2) Does the motherboard change really solve the problem? THERE ARE SOME USERS WHO COMPLAIN THAT IT DID NOT SOLVE THEIR PROBLEM

Thanks

Best regards

Liface
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,231
Message 8 of 13

The motherboard change solved the issue.

You might have gotten mixed up on dates, I posted this topic less than a week ago.
masakkkali
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,974
Message 9 of 13

I am facing simillar issues, have you resolved this? Can this be resolved by software update. I am in no state to get the motherboard replaced.

Liface
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,971
Message 10 of 13

The only thing that worked for me was replacing the motherboard.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors