Options

1 Posts

11-21-2018

US

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 41 of 68

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen: Synaptics Touchpad Firmware Update broke Touchpad and Trackpoint

2018-11-21, 19:00 PM

I ran into the same issue and hit up Lenovo support. They suggested using recovery media to fix the problem. I was apprehensive as I assumed that the recovery media would be for the windows partitions and not actual firmware, and I think that apprehension was correct. They mailed me the recovery media which appeared to be for windows. I ran it anyway and it ended up failing as well, thus resulting in a dead windows recovery parition and a corrupt windows partition. At that point they suggested returning it since it was essentially brand new.

Options

1 Posts

11-22-2018

NL

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 42 of 68

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen: Synaptics Touchpad Firmware Update broke Touchpad and Trackpoint

2018-11-22, 7:10 AM

I have a similar issue. After the trackpoint firmware update, my touchpad is not working anymore. The trackpoint however, is still working.

I have removed the Synaptics SM Bus and pointing device. At that point the touchpad is working again. But soon after the drivers are installed back again and the trackpad stops working. Updated al the Synaptics drivers, etc. but nothing works.

Has anyone found an earlier trackpoint firmware (<1.0.0.3) perhaps? Maybe a downgrade fixes it again...

Options

16 Posts

10-30-2018

SE

46 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 43 of 68

2018-11-22, 8:56 AM

I have been in contact with official Lenovo Mouse Pad engineers (R&D) and this issue can be reproduced by a forced shutdown / reboot while the Synaptics Touch pad FW update tool is running.

For me, it appears this happened accidentally by running a batch update job in Lenovo Vantage which updated something that required a restart that ran in parallel to the reflash of the mouse pad, or something along those lines. If someone else can look in Lenovo Vantage and find out what ran simultaneously this could help with confirming this, but until then it's just a qualified guess on what happened to my machine.

And unfortunately, this is as far as we've got. They haven't found a way to repair the bricked parts on the device as of yet, but they told me they will share the fix if they can find one.

Current, fastest, solution is (quote) sending the machine to a Lenovo Repair Center and get the parts replaced - unfortunately.

For what it's worth it seems they are trying really hard to fix this issue.

Options

36 Posts

07-13-2018

DE

73 Signins

578 Page Views

• Views: 578
  • Message 44 of 68

2018-11-22, 9:18 AM

"Current, fastest, solution is (quote) sending the machine to a Lenovo Repair Center and get the parts replaced - unfortunately."

No, it is not.

Lenovo can't deliver replacement parts. (I am on auto hold for weeks).

Options

16 Posts

10-30-2018

SE

46 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 45 of 68

2018-11-22, 9:22 AM

Thank you for the information.

Just so I'm clear, that is a quote.

And it doesn't have to be wrong either. Fastest doesn't necessarily mean fast.

Options

36 Posts

07-13-2018

DE

73 Signins

578 Page Views

• Message 46 of 68

2018-11-22, 9:27 AM
True.
Options

36 Posts

07-13-2018

DE

73 Signins

578 Page Views

• Message 47 of 68

2018-11-22, 10:00 AM

Update from the Lenovo Support:

• Parts maybe available in another 3 weeks
  • You can't replace your laptop if you didn't have 3 repairs
  • Repairs don't take place if they can't get the parts

Flagship business laptop.

Options

14 Posts

11-17-2018

DE

41 Signins

337 Page Views

• Views: 337
  • Message 48 of 68

2018-11-22, 12:45 PM

I got a call from the support after i opened the ticket. There are a lot of users affected. They reqeuested my system-information-file and they are working with high priority on the issue. I really hope for others that they disabled the distribution of the firmwareupdate.

My development experience is that if the device is "killed" by a firmwareupdate the hardware is not "destroyed" but functionallty can only be restored by a hard flash via e.g. JTAG-interface (if available) - which can usually not be done by enduser. Probably they re trying to find a way to avoid this step. So it might even be cheaper to replace the whole part instead if hardflashing the device again, depending on the PCBs layout, repairtime, logistics and so on...

PS: Fastest temporary fix is using an external mouse. Just in case somebody hasn't thought about that.

Options

3383 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12382 Signins

178430 Page Views

• Views: 178430
  • Message 49 of 68

2018-11-22, 14:05 PM

wrote:

I really hope for others that they disabled the distribution of the firmwareupdate. 

It's still on the website: TrackPoint Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG)

The ReadMe file has an interesting comment, "NOTE- System must apply the Synaptics Touchpad Firmware (N23GC04W: PR2698617/PR2812761) prior to applying this TrackPoint Firmware Update Utility"

One interpretation of this Note is that the System isn't applying Synaptics Touchpad Firmware properly and/or that the TrackPoint firmware update utility isn't checking for this prerequisite before it proceeds with its update.

Further, the ReadMe file for the Synaptics Touchpad Firmware has this comment, "NOTES - The UltraNav driver needs to be installed to install this firmware.

So there's yet another prerequisite/codependency that could be related to the issue.

PS: Fastest temporary fix is using an external mouse. Just in case somebody hasn't thought about that.

That of course is very awkward, especially for a thin, light, sleek notebook like the X1C6. Another option for models with touch screen is to that with a stylus to point. Hardly ideal, but a bit more portable. 

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

15 Posts

11-26-2018

AU

30 Signins

234 Page Views

• Views: 234
  • Message 50 of 68

2018-11-26, 7:19 AM

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with this issue. After the synaptics touchpad firmware update my trackpoint and the touch pad buttons stopped working on my X1C6. The touchpad was working fine.

I am running Windows 10 and my BIOS version is 1.34. In the mouse settings window, under the "Thinkpad" tab, the "Enable Trackpoint" section was grayed out. It was enabled in the BIOS. 

I tried reinstalling the driver for the Synaptics Pointing Device in the device manager, but that didn't fix the issue. So I contacted the Lenovo Support and they had me install the followling two files: 

TrackPoint Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG)

Synaptics Touchpad Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG)

After installing the firmware update files and rebooting, my trackpoint and the touchpad buttons started working again. 

Thought I would just share my experience just in case it helps anyone. Cheers. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete