Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 603
Message 1 of 7

X1 Carbon 6th Gen Touchpad Goes Nuts Occasionally

I have the X1 Carbon 6th Gen model 20KHCTO1WW.

This seems to be triggered by me picking up the laptop.  If anyone knows what device in device manager is responsible for detecting whether the laptop is on a stable surface or in someone's hands or on their lap, maybe disableing that divice would help.  

My touchpad starts acting insane every now and then.  It will move all over the screen sporadically, randomly scroll the page up and down, zoom in and out, click all by itself, etc.  When it is not doing things by itself, it will have limited/reduced sensitivity, and attempts to reduce zoom by "pinching" my fingers minimize windows instead of zooming out.  It also moves around or scrolls when I type.  It is really annoying me.  It is randomly minimizing this window, scrolling down, and switching windows while I'm typing this, and I'm taking extra care not to touch the touchpad at all.  

I have had this laptop since early September, and now it is October 11.  This problem has only been happening this week.  Two things changed just before it started happening that could be related to this:

1. I connected a bluetooth mouse

2. "Lenovo - System - 9/7/2018 12:00:00 AM - 1.0.1.248" was installed on 10/2/2018

I disconnected the bluetooth mouse because I didn't like the lag it had.  After disconnecting, removing it from bluetooth history, and also uninstalling the driver for it, the problem persists.

I tried disabling two human interface devices in device manager, but this did not help:

disabled devices.JPG

The latest synaptics touchpad driver was installed on September 21, but I didn't notice any issues until roughly the beginning of this week, so I highly doubt that was the problem.  

I have just tried disabling the touch screen, and it did not help.

roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 569
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen Touchpad Goes Nuts Occasionally

Update:  This appears to be a hardware issue.  I have noticed that when I press on the are to the left of the trackpad, it triggers this random trackpad behavior.  This is very dissappointing as I have had this laptop for just over 45 days.  

DawsonGunn
What's DOS?
Views: 537
Message 3 of 7

The same thing is happening to me and it is very frustrating. Lenovo please give a solution. This laptop was not cheap.

roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 530
Message 4 of 7

Do you notice the mouse issue when there is pressure on the laptop in the area left of the touch pad?

I sent my laptop to Lenovo for repair and the current status is "Parts on hold".  I found this status by logging into their 3rd party repair status website, I was not contacted by Lenovo about this delay.  

I whited out my info just in case.  

Laptop-Repair-History.jpg

Edit: I called the repair depot (1-800-426-7416) and the guy on the phone told me that they have backordered a new trackpad that will be there on November 5th.  It's kind of a bummer I have to wait that long.  I'm in grad school and it's not easy to get by without a laptop.  

DawsonGunn
What's DOS?
Views: 496
Message 5 of 7

No the touchpad will just go nuts randomly. Somtimes it will work perfectly other times it jumps around, zooms in and out randomly, and clicks unintentionally.

roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 436
Message 6 of 7

I would definitely contact Lenovo support then.

roweder
Paper Tape
Views: 414
Message 7 of 7

Update:

The repair has been completed by Lenovo.  They have replaced the trackpad entirely and it is no longer having any issues.  However, they did not install the new trackpad with as good alignment as the original one had.  

20181113_154107.jpg

20181113_154150.jpg

20181113_154157.jpg

It may be difficult to tell from the photos, but the trackpad is not centered, and after this replacement there is a significant gap (1-2mm) between the bottom of the trackpad and the laptop chassis, as well as between the right side of the trackpad and the laptop chassis.  This does not look as nice and it presents a much greater opportunity for dust and other crap to get in under the trackpad.  But, at least it doesn't minimize my windows while I type.  That was annoying.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors