cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadgetfreaky
Paper Tape
Views: 25,043
Message 1 of 22

X1 Carbon 6th Gen WWAN 4G LTE? sim card but no modem?

Got my maxed out machine. on the website it says ' WWAN Integrated Global Mobile Broadband LTE-A". It's got a sim slot. I even messaged with customer support before I ordered it to ask if it works on LTE w/ a verizon sim card. they said yes. 

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-6th-Gen/p/22TP2TXX16G?g...

I put the sim card in, but for the life of me can't figure out how to activate it. In other discussions of previous generations it says it was an option. Is it the same on this? It's one of the reasons I got the machine! Will they let me return it without a restocking fee if this is the case? I really wanted an always on laptop

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 25,004
Message 2 of 22

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen WWAN 4G LTE? sim card but no modem?

What's the model number of your laptop (e.g. 20KH002QUS, 20KH002KUS, 20KH002HUS, ...)?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
gadgetfreaky
Paper Tape
Views: 24,964
Message 3 of 22

20KH002HUS

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,917
Message 4 of 22

There no integrated mobile broadband/WWAN listed for that model Smiley Sad.

20KH002HUS.JPG

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,909
Message 5 of 22

From the information I can find, I can't determine if it is "mobile broadband upgradeable" i.e. the antennas are there and the card can be added when it is available. One way to determine this is to disable the battery in BIOS then remove the base cover and look for the antennas - wires with small connectors on the end, usually taped in the vacant mobile broadband card slot.

vcvijayan
What's DOS?
Views: 23,917
Message 6 of 22

Hi gadgetfreaky,

Found the information in Lenovo site,

WWAN: Integrated Global Mobile Broadband LTE-A (Available in May 2018)

Link: (Under Tech Specs Section) 

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-6th-Gen/p/22TP2TXX16G?g...

Thanks

Vijayan

mbkw
Paper Tape
Views: 23,060
Message 7 of 22

Unfortunately the 6th generation isn't "WWAN Upgradeable" - it doesn't come with the antennas. So you have to order it specifically with the LTE modem; and for that you have to wait till sometime in May.

RicFr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,741
Message 8 of 22

It is upgradebale, at least the model I have, 20KHCTO1WW. I am just  awaiting for the Fibocom L850-GL module to be released, then I will buy it; Drivers are already available from Lenovo.

Edit: spoke too soon, after visual check can confirm WWAN antennas are not there even on 20KHCTO1WW. too bad.

mbkw
Paper Tape
Views: 22,695
Message 9 of 22

Quoting the excellent review by notebookcheck.net:

"The WWAN issues from the previous 2017 model are still with us. You once again have to decide whether you want an LTE module when you buy the device. It is not possible (or at least difficult) to implement a WWAN module since the required antennas are not already installed. The sibling T480s has an advantage in this respect."

I highly recommend going through the full review: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2018-WQHD-HDR-i7-Laptop-Review.284682.0.html

ecopelan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,036
Message 10 of 22

I have a 5th Gen X1 Carbon with WWAN card + Antennas. I'm about to upgrade to the 6th Gen, anyone know if the antenna kit in the 5th Gen is the same as the 6th Gen? What I'm thinking is, can one simply transplant the LTE guts from the 5th Gen to the 6th Gen. The WWAN system in the 5th Gen is pretty straightforward, antennas sit on either side of the battery and the cables run around the battery to the LTE modem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors