US

113 Signins

844 Page Views

• Views: 844
  • Message 11 of 64

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen fan always on

2018-03-21, 23:40 PM

wrote:

I don't know if my cpu can even make it. I feel it is burning. It would turn to 80 to 90 degree range once i open a app or a web. The laptop was so hot and I can even reset my hand on the right side of it. I already undervoluted the cpu.  

Please open task manager and click on performance tab. what is your CPU load? It is not normal to hit 90 degress when not under full load. You may have to open it up and examine the cooling heatsink and fans. Likely it is not seat correctly.

Options

19 Posts

09-26-2016

US

32 Signins

299 Page Views

• Views: 299
  • Message 12 of 64

2018-03-27, 15:00 PM

For the heating problem: my X1C6 is even overheating on a Thinkpad "Ultra" Docking station, reaching more than 80 degrees with CPU load less than 25%. Also, the fan kept working hard: not sure if the fan is helping getting rid of heat, or contributing to it.

And, for the buzzing sound from the fan: it is making consistent high-frequency noise when docked/plugged-in, though it is not super loud. Not sure if I can get used to it over the time.

Options

52 Posts

03-08-2018

US

113 Signins

844 Page Views

• Message 13 of 64

2018-03-27, 15:50 PM

wrote:

For the heating problem: my X1C6 is even overheating on a Thinkpad "Ultra" Docking station, reaching more than 80 degrees with CPU load less than 25%. Also, the fan kept working hard: not sure if the fan is helping getting rid of heat, or contributing to it.

And, for the buzzing sound from the fan: it is making consistent high-frequency noise when docked/plugged-in, though it is not super loud. Not sure if I can get used to it over the time.

I received my x1c6 yesterday and the thing is absolutely quiet and cool. The fan rarely come on during initial Windows updates and software install. I did updated the bios and Lenovo thermal solution (marked as critical) via Vantage metro app right away.

There is definitely something wrong with your unit. I suspect the HSF is not seated correctly or too much thermal paste applied. You should try to reseat the HSF with proper amount of thermal paste.

Options

6 Posts

03-18-2018

US

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 14 of 64

2018-03-27, 17:28 PM

have u tried to plug in the power ? try to plug in the power cord and try to surf on internet

Options

19 Posts

09-26-2016

US

32 Signins

299 Page Views

• Message 15 of 64

2018-03-27, 18:58 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I received my x1c6 yesterday and the thing is absolutely quiet and cool. The fan rarely come on during initial Windows updates and software install. I did updated the bios and Lenovo thermal solution (marked as critical) via Vantage metro app right away.

There is definitely something wrong with your unit. I suspect the HSF is not seated correctly or too much thermal paste applied. You should try to reseat the HSF with proper amount of thermal paste.

Thank you for posting positive review. I have got the current unit from Costco, and should be able to swap/return within 90 days. (Yeah, they are great).

Per your answer, and a later answer that I am not quoting here (did not find a way to quote a later response), the over-heating issue may be addressed in three scainierals:

• When left on battery, the laptop should remain cool
  • When plugging through a Type-C charger, ideally, it should still stay cool
  • Yet, when docked, one shall expect a lot of heat with gental CPU usage

A side note: maybe it is me who should be "blamed" for a over-heating X1 Carbon: while on the Docking station, I am booting 4 monitors from this Ultra book. More specifically, the integrated graphic card is booting two 2K monitors. With no knowledge of how integrated graphics are supposed to work, my guess is that my monitor setup at the docking station is demanding most of the power.

(I have been booting exactly the same set of external monitors using a T470 machine, which felt way cooler than X1C6 on a newer Ultra Docking station. The graphics on these two machines are identically: both are some "620" numbered integrated graphic card.)

I guess I should conclude by documenting that: there is a over-heating issue on Docking stations, which may or may not have to do with the workload for hosting numerious external monitors.

Options

52 Posts

03-08-2018

US

113 Signins

844 Page Views

• Message 16 of 64

2018-03-27, 19:29 PM

Does fan speed up docked but with no monitors connected?

4 monitors put a lot work on the integrated graphic and chipset assuming you aren't using Lenovo's graphic dock with eGPU inside. The bus chipset share the same HSF with CPU which maybe the one that is causing fan to spool up.

Of course, there is also the possibility of TB3 driver or firmware issue. Try update them with the newest verison.

T470 has bigger fan which require less rotation to move same amount of air. Its dual core CPU also generate a lot less heat than x1c6's quad. 

If you absolutely need to run multiple monitors, I would suggest get Lenovo's graphic dock with eGPU build in. To be honest, ultrabook isn't a good to run multiple monitors, even if it could, its probably going to decrease its lifespan. 

Options

7 Posts

03-27-2018

US

9 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 17 of 64

2018-03-27, 21:22 PM

I have the same problem. When using battery, it is perfect. When plugged-in, the fan starts screaming for no reason. The wired thing is that CPU clock always around 3.8 even idle, no matter how I set the power option.

Options

19 Posts

09-26-2016

US

32 Signins

299 Page Views

• Message 18 of 64

2018-03-27, 22:33 PM

wrote:

Does fan speed up docked but with no monitors connected?

4 monitors put a lot work on the integrated graphic and chipset assuming you aren't using Lenovo's graphic dock with eGPU inside. The bus chipset share the same HSF with CPU which maybe the one that is causing fan to spool up.

Of course, there is also the possibility of TB3 driver or firmware issue. Try update them with the newest verison.

T470 has bigger fan which require less rotation to move same amount of air. Its dual core CPU also generate a lot less heat than x1c6's quad. 

If you absolutely need to run multiple monitors, I would suggest get Lenovo's graphic dock with eGPU build in. To be honest, ultrabook isn't a good to run multiple monitors, even if it could, its probably going to decrease its lifespan. 

, thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. I just returned to my office and found the same consistent Fan sound: relatively high frequency, thus very noticable. Will resort to return X16C and get a T480 then.

Options

45 Posts

03-21-2018

US

55 Signins

817 Page Views

• Views: 817
  • Message 19 of 64

2018-03-28, 0:24 AM
i experienced the exactly same thing!
Options

3 Posts

03-29-2018

US

9 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 20 of 64

2018-03-29, 6:34 AM

I received yesterday my laptop and the exact same thing happens to me.

Even when only browsing some web pages fan can go really crazy if the power cord is plugged in.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete