Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 446
Message 1 of 13

X1 Carbon 6th Gen touchpad freezes

I have an X1 Carbon 6th gen that is about 6 months old. About 10 times since I got it the touchpad has randomly frozen. The mouse buttons and keyboard work fine, but the touchpad does not work until I reboot. Strangely, every time right after the touchpad freezes I get a popup from Lenovo Vantage suggesting a firmware update or something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? any workarounds?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 404
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen touchpad freezes

Hi jeffbg123! Welcome to our forums community. Did you install the update that Lenovo Vantage is suggesting you? If not, we suggest you to update the system. You can run the update through the Lenovo Vantage app and install all available update. If the issue persist, try these steps: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht075464.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 3 of 13

Yes I regularly install updates through Lenovo Vantage and windows update. Yet this still happens regularly. 

Are you suggesting to disable/enable the touchpad when this happens? Or right now?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 399
Message 4 of 13

Try to disable and re enable. When was the last time you installed the update? There's a recent BIO update from the website: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-.... If the issue is the same, run the hardware test from the Lenovo Vantage and post the result.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 371
Message 5 of 13

I tried everything reccomended and it just happened again (right before an update appeared). It is the trackpad and the red button mouse that both freeze. The keyboard still works.....So it's not just a trackpad issue. 

Hardware Scan passed everything. I can't attach .html and I can't paste it because it is too long. Let me know if you need it. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 358
Message 6 of 13

Hey there! 

We highly recommend contacting the Lenovo Think Line support at 1-800-932-0465 and inquire for a complete diagnosis/repair service as this could be a hardware malfunction with the touchpad. We hope everything will turn out smoothly. 

Thanks! 

jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 349
Message 7 of 13

Since it is both the touchpad and the trackpoint at the same time, and it is happening when the update pops up, doesn't that point to more of a software issue?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 337
Message 8 of 13

@jeffbg123 wrote:

every time right after the touchpad freezes I get a popup from Lenovo Vantage suggesting a firmware update or something like that.

What exactly is the message? Is it the TrackPoint firmware update? Did you agree and apply the firmware update? Have you tried applying the TrackPoint firmware update manually?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 334
Message 9 of 13

What message are you referring to? The popup? It varies depending on what update is requested. Sometimes it prompts me to click to update, sometimes it is just a black console window that pops up to do the update and then disappears when it is done. I always agree to do the update via keyboard. I did some driver updates last night and always go into vantage to make sure I am up to date, but I'm not sure if I have done exactly what you said about applying firmware update manually? You mean not through Vantage?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 331
Message 10 of 13

Yes the popup you refer to in the quote. There IS a TrackPoint firmware update on the support page linked to by Jwes_Lenovo. Try running it manually.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors