Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 843
Message 1 of 19

X1 Carbon 6th Generation Refuses to Recognize Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Sorry for the bit of a wall of text, I'm trying to be as detailed as I can.

I've been pulling my hair out a bit on this one, and I've tried steps found in at least half a dozen threads that I read through on here, but to no avail. I wanted to make a separate thread because my issue seems to be happening before most of everyone else's.

I've tried: installing drivers in a specific order, not plugging the dock in until everything is setup, forcing a PD reset (hold power 8 seconds), updating bios to latest and trying all the Thunderbolt security/compatibility/passthrough settings, etc.

Specifics:

An end-user has a 6th gen X1 Carbon and purchased this dock: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-thunderbolt/Thun...

Which specifically says it's compatible, and I've used the dock finder utility to verify the compatibility.

I'm running Windows 10 1809 and have triple checked driver versions and BIOS settings.

The driver shows up correctly in Device Manager and the Thunderbolt software runs properly.

I've disabled my antivirus in case something was interfering.

Problem:

However, no matter what I try, when I plug the dock into the machine, I don't get a single prompt or anything that indicates it's been connected, other than that the LED on the dock goes from amber to white, the NIC lights up (if plugged in), and the laptop charges properly and indicates as such.

You're supposed to see something like shown here: https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udv/#Authenticate - But I get nothing. The cursor spins a little as if the machine is trying something, but only for a second.

Questions:

Are there log files for the Intel Thunderbolt software that I can look at somewhere? I don't see anything in Event Viewer. I've attached an image of the furthest I can get.

Are there any temp files or registry keys that I'm missing that could be preventing the popup from showing up?

I noticed that the Thunderbolt manager runs with .NET4.0 as a requirement, and have verified that it's installed, but 3.5 refuses to install even with the iso, could this be part of the issue?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide Smiley Happy

Lenovo Employee CandyZhao
Lenovo Employee
Views: 764
Message 2 of 19

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Generation Refuses to Recognize Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Hi, I' m not sure if fully understand your question or not, but I will try to anwer first.

1. You X1 carbon 6th can't recongise thunderbolt3 dock?

Answer: Could you please try to press the reset hold of X1 carbon 6th? The rest hole is at the back of the machine, a little hole. Please shut down your machine, then  use a needle or something to press the rest hold for 10s, then press the power button to start the machine, then try to connect the dock to machine. Your machine may can recongise thunderbolt3 dock

2. Your machine can't get the Thunderbolt message when you connect the thunderbolt3 dock?

Answer: Please enter BIOS - config - Thunderbolt(TM)3 security level, check the setting. If you choose the "no security", you won't get any promopt message when you connect thunderbolt device, please change the setting to user authorizaton.

If you have any further question, please let me know.

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 747
Message 3 of 19

Good morning CandyZhao, 

Thanks for your response and sorry for the confusion. 

The machine SEEMS to recognize the dock, as it is being charged by it and, each time I plug it in, the cursor reacts like it's attempting to install/configure something, but the popup to be accepted as a device never shows up, and it never appears in the Intel Thunderbolt 3 software. 

I tried a hard reset as you asked but it did not fix the issue. 

I've tried both "No Security" and "User Authorization" in the BIOS, neither work. 

I tried the Windows 10 (1709)/Linux compatibility mode in the BIOS despite being on Windows 10 (1809) and that doesn't allow the Intel Software to run at all - no surprise there though. 

I was just hoping there was maybe a log file or something I could grep through and see if I can find out where it might be failing. 

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 4 of 19

Replying to my own thing here as I've done more tests but still haven't figured it out.

I submit and received a Lenovo recovery media download and proceeded to image the computer with Lenovo's factory Windows 10 image. Upon completion, I installed the correct, up to date, Thunderbolt 3 drivers/software and triple-checked that my BIOS was fully up to date (it is). 

Still nothing beyond charging from the dock. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 700
Message 5 of 19

Hello Gidrakos,

I'm sorry that you can't catch log without a tool. And I find 3 X1 carbon 6th, can't reproduce your issue. So let's try to fix this issue by try more actions.

1. Have you intall the driver of Thunderbolt3 dock? link as below: 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ACC100356

2. Could you try to update Thunderbolt FW and Thunderbolt softwa of your machine? Please find the FW and SW at below link. 

Under "Display and Video Graphics (5) " tab, FW and SW name as below.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Machine types: 20KH, 20KG)

Intel Thunderbolt Software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T480, T480s, X1 Carbon Gen 6

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

3. Could you help to try re-scan to detect HW in device manager? It indicates TBT SW works well , also check if you ever rejected this dock unit or not while the app pop up.

4. Do you have any other thunderbolt device? Could you help to try your X1 carbon 6th can recognise other thunderbolt device? I want to confirm if the system thunderbolt port is OK..

Thanks for your cooperate. And if your problem haven't been solved,please let me know.

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 694
Message 6 of 19

Good morning CandyZhao, 

Thank you for your response. 

1. Yes, I have installed the latest driver from that exact link. 

2. I've updated the FW and SW for Thunderbolt.

3. I've checked Device Manager for any faults or new hardware. 

4. I have two docks here: a ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3, and a Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock, though the latter doesn't specifically say it's compatible. I'm trying to get access to a 2nd laptop to see if works on there, but that's proving difficult. 

I've attached a screenshot verifying 1 - 3. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 647
Message 7 of 19

Hello Gidrakos,

1. Your Thunderbolt Software seems not the latest. Could you update?

2. Could you help to try the Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock's cable on Thunderbolt 3 dock? In case the cable is bad. You can plug a U disk or HDD on Thunderbolt 3 dock, check if the U disk or HDD  can be recognize.

3. I want to check if your X1 carbon 6th thunderbolt port is OK. Could you help to try Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock dock on your machine? We didn't announce Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock support X1 carbon 6th, but I try Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock on my X1 carbon 6th, can recognize, can charging for system, and can recognize the USB devive on dock, such as U disk, HDD. Display can support after install the driver of Thunderbolt 3 Graphics dock.
Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 621
Message 8 of 19

Hello CandyZhao, 

1. I have updated to the latest Thunderbolt software, 17.4.78.500, but it still does not work. (Side note: the software link on the dock's page is not up to date, but the link on the X1 Carbon's driver page is). 

2. I have tried both Thunderbolt 3 cables on both docks and it does not make a difference. 

3. I have tried plugging in multiple devices to each dock but they aren't recognized by the laptop and they do not show up in Device Manager. Hard drives receive power momentarilly when first being plugged in, but soon are put to sleep as they're not being accessed. 

4. Lenovo Support has shipped me a new Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 dock and it should arrive today for testing. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 597
Message 9 of 19

Hello Gidrakos,

Thanks for your update.  I guest the Thunderbolt port of your X1 carbon 6th may have some problems.

Anyway, wait for your test results with new Thunderbolt3 dock.

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 514
Message 10 of 19

Good morning CandyZhao,

Well, after waiting over a week for the new Dock to arrive.........because FedEX apparently dropped the package off at my company's local shipping office instead of mine, and it took them forever to get it to me, I can confirm that the new dock does not work either. 

I have convinced my company to purchase another X1 Carbon that we may test this with and try to see what's going on. I will leave all factory settings when it arrives, install the latest software, and see if it works. I will report back once things arrive and I've tested them.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors