Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Employee CandyZhao
Lenovo Employee
Views: 266
Message 11 of 19

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Generation Refuses to Recognize Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Hello Gidrakos,

Thanks for your update. I will keep tracking this issue and wait for you further results after you change another machine.

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 12 of 19

So the new X1 Carbon 6th generation arrived yesterday and, both out of the box and after I placed out image on it, every dock works perfectly. No need to install the latest drivers/firmware, no need to update the bios settings; it just works. 

So it would seem our original brand new X1 Carbon is the issue and I will be contacting Lenovo today about how they want to move forward. Thanks for all your help - I'll reply one final time to this thread once the original laptop's issues have been resolved (whether that's replacing the motherboard or the whole unit). 

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 205
Message 13 of 19

Updating this once more. 

Lenovo sent out a tech to replace the motherboard on the laptop, which he did. We boot the machine and, upon login, were given an error message that the Thuderbolt firmware needed to be updated (woohoo!). 

HOWEVER, the tech and I spent the next 3 hours troubleshooting why the firmware update tool wasn't working. It was giving us an error involving 'safe mode.' Not sure if it thought the machine was in safe mode or not, we made sure msconfig was set to all defaults. We tried uninstalling and re-installing all device drivers, Thunderbolt software, updating the bios, etc. Same error.

Diving further into the issue, I found the command line-based firmware update tools and was able to properly identify the thunderbolt ports but, when I tried to run the firmware update tool, it told me that the device itself (the port) was in safe mode. Intel's website informs me that, when a device is in safe mode, the ONLY thing you're supposed to be allowed to do is update the firmware - not in my case. I even found a different Intel firmware update tool and gave it the Lenovo firmware package to install on the device, but it failed as well. 

My only guess at the moment is that it's some incompatibility with the latest Windows 10 1903, which the user updated to since the machine currently has a default image on it while we test. I was unable to wipe the drive and place my good, known, 1809 image on it, as the owner had saved (against my advice) a couple hundred Gb of data locally and needed the laptop that evening. 

So, I'm slightly closer to my goal, but cannot currently work on the laptop because it is out of my posession. I will continue to update my findings. 

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 174
Message 14 of 19

Final update before the weekend. 

The user brought the laptop in and I was able to install my perfectly working Windows 10 1809 image on it. This is the image that I have placed on the exact same model X1 Carbon a week ago with perfect success for all the docks. 

Did it work? Nope. This laptop is a lemon if I've ever seen it. After installing my image I get the exact same issue, the firmware needs to be updated but I can't run the firmware update tool because the device is in safe mode. 

I've followed everyone's ideas in this thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thunderbolt-3-controller-has-expired/td-p/441... and the furthest I got was that some other varient of the Intel Firmware update tool acted like it updated the firmware but it actually didn't. 

I've tried other solutions from other threads as well, including installing older versions of the software, removing all drivers, etc - still nothing.

I've submit another request to Lenovo because this is ludicrous. 

Lenovo Employee
Views: 141
Message 15 of 19

You mean the PC's  TBT dock FW update tool, right?

Could you try to update the PC's TBT SW first, then update TBT FW?

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 132
Message 16 of 19

Yehp. Been there; done that. 

I've tried at least 4 different versions of the TBT Software (completely uninstalled, reboot, re-installed) and I've tried 3 different versions (including 1 directly from Intel) of the TBT firmware update tool. No success at all. 

The version TBT Software I deploy through my image has worked flawlessly on another X1 Carbon 6th gen a couple weeks ago, so I know that's not an issue. We also tried a newer version (I believe it was released June 24th) of the TBT Software running on the latest Windows 10 1903 and that failed with the same issues. 

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 99
Message 17 of 19

Continuing on with the saga. Lenovo has spoken to me at length about this and has asked to send the laptop in to them. The package was sent out yesterday and they will work on it until it's fixed. 

I don't know what solution they might come up with, or if they'll let me know, but at least I have everything recorded here so they can't say I didn't try lol. 

Gidrakos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62
Message 18 of 19

It's finally over!!!

After spending a little time at the Lenovo shop getting ANOTHER motherboard replacement, the docking station finally works properly on it. 

What a nightmare.......

Lenovo Employee
Views: 34
Message 19 of 19

Thanks for your final feedback and hope all things go well in the future.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors