Did you mean: 
AMGew
Paper Tape
Views: 6,557
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 6th Generation USB-C

Hi there, 

I just got an X1 Carbon 6th gen. Can someone tell me if, 

1. Is it safe to charge the laptop from either USB-C ports?
  2. Just to make sure, you should be able to charge the laptop with the USB-C charger plugged in either way correct? It took me literally 20 minutes to explain to the support guy. Then finally he tried it in an X1 he had on him and realized it should charge no matter how it's plugged in, unlike a traditional USB. 

I appreciate the help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,556
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Generation USB-C

From your user's guide, page 3:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon_6th_ug_en.pdf

"The two USB-C connectors also work as power connectors. The ac power adapter shipped with your computer is a USB-C power adapter. Use the shipped power adapter and power cord to connect the computer to ac power through either of the two USB-C connectors."

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

AMGew
Paper Tape
Views: 6,551
Message 3 of 5

Hahaha nice! Yeah this guy had no idea what he was talking about. So both the USB-C ports working as charging ports, got it!

So my second USB-C port (the one closer to me) works when I input the cord either way, but the one for the "charging" only works one way.

Would you personally send it back to get it fixed?

Do you have the same computer? If so, does yours work both ways?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,547
Message 4 of 5

I don't have that model ThinkPad Smiley Sad  It's my understanding that any USB-C port should work in either orientation.

Are you able to inspect the port with an illuminated magnifying lens?  Anything look hinky?

I'd probably get it fixed, but that involves some hassle and inconvenience.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

AMGew
Paper Tape
Views: 6,539
Message 5 of 5

Yeah I'll have to take a look.

Thank you for sending over that information. Good to know I can use either port. While thei tech support told me I'd fry the computer haha.

I appreciate your help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors