cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpadreally
Punch Card
Views: 1,029
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 6th: Possible Battery Life Reduce After Clean Reinstall of Wins 10 for Fan Issue

My Specs: i7-8650U 2560*1440 16GB RAM 512GB SSD

I was suffering from a fan and overheating issue after receiving my unit. The problem has been officially confirmed by Lenovo and other users. I tried all the solutions including BIOS and drivers update, undervolting, and run the commands from Lenovo. But the problem didn't get any better. Some folks mentioned that a clean reinstall of Wins 10 from MS could solve the problem, so I did and the situation did become better. However, I was concerned if the reinstall will affect the battery life since PC manufacturers adjust Wins to maximize the battery life.

A few days ago, I just got a chance to use the unit on battery. I had the battery saver on and set the brightness to 50%. I have been using this setting on my old unit that I was about to return to Lenovo for two months. Under it, Wins estimation usually showed me that the battery will last for more than 9 hours after a full charge. I never used the laptop long enough to let the battery die, but it was very sound.

However, with the same setting after a clean reinstall from MS on my new laptop. The Wins estimation showed me 7 hours for most and usually just 5 hours or something. I saw the battery reduce 10 percent within 10 mins for simple web browsing and email stuff. I've restarted and charged the battery to let Wins figure out the estimation for a few times. I did feel the battery percent decreased faster now than Lenovo's factory setting Wins 10.

I wonder if someone has also experienced this difference like me. Indeed, I still need to use the laptop on battery more often to make a final conclusion. But for those who want to reinstall a clean Wins 10, please be aware that this might be a trade-off you have to make.

Kevliu78
Token Ring
Views: 969
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th: Possible Battery Life Reduce After Clean Reinstall of Wins 10 for Fan Issue

@thinkpadreally

Hi have you update to latest bios?

This is work with my X1 C6

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

lifesaver1
Punch Card
Views: 963
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th: Possible Battery Life Reduce After Clean Reinstall of Wins 10 for Fan Issue

The best option, in my experience with Lenovo is to install the Lenovo Vantage program. It will check your system for any needed updates automatically and download them for you if you approve. That includes bios. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors