Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renetr
Paper Tape
Views: 607
Message 1 of 2

X1 Carbon (6th) + Thunderbolt 3 Dock: WMI Provider Host goes crazy

Just setting up my new X1C6 with Win10 and the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 dock. Everything seems to be working, but occasionally the fan starts spinning like crazy, and a process named "WMI Provider Host" appears in the Task Manager with >25% CPU usage. After a few minutes the system is back to normal. 

After a bit of Googling, I went to Event Viewer -> Applications and ... -> Microsoft -> Windows -> WMI Activity, and I found a series of errors that coincided with the excessive CPU load events. Every error has a reference to a process ID that corresponds to "Thunderbolt.exe". This leads me to think that the problem is related to my docking station.

I tried downloading the docking station drivers from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/en/solutions/acc100356 but it turns out that I have an even newer version installed already (something .12 vs .10) .

Yesterday, I heard some loud hissing from the corner of the laptop where the TB3 ports are. It disappeared when I unplugged the dock, and came back after I plugged it in again. After a restart, it went away, and the port as well as the dock seems to be working fine (currently with Ethernet and a VGA monitor).

Any ideas what to do here? 

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 601
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 Carbon (6th) + Thunderbolt 3 Dock: WMI Provider Host goes crazy

@renetrwrote:

Just setting up my new X1C6 with Win10 and the ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 dock. Everything seems to be working,  [...]

Yesterday, I heard some loud hissing from the corner of the laptop where the TB3 ports are. It disappeared when I unplugged the dock, and came back after I plugged it in again. After a restart, it went away, and the port as well as the dock seems to be working fine (currently with Ethernet and a VGA monitor).

Any ideas what to do here? 

There's a separate thread discussing the 'hissing' which appears to be coil whine from the dock in my case. Another person resports more of a clicking sound from near the left of the laptop (near the TB3 port), see here: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Coil-Whine-Dock-Issues/td-p...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors