Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TrueAlpha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,069
Message 1 of 9

X1 Carbon 6th gen: Audio clipping noise through the headphone jack

I am using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th gen with the HDR display. With new Realtek audio driver (ver. 6.0.1.8422 released May 15th) which enables Dolby Atmos, I have been experincing audio clipping noise through the audio jack when headphones are plugged in. I know my headphones are quite fine since my five year old Lenovo Y500 or my phone doesn't seem to have this issue. 

I sent my machine to the depot since I was experiencing this issue and a few more issues. After getting my machine back I am still experiencing the same audio clipping issue whether it's listening to music using Google Music, or watchin Netflix. The noise is really anoying when listeing to acoustics.

I am just wondering if any others are experiencing the same issue?

TrueAlpha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,019
Message 2 of 9

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen: Audio clipping noise through the headphone jack

Since my original post, I have identified that the clipping noise is greatly heard when the charger is plugged in to the machine. Otherwise, it's really rare and a light noise. 

I think that the voltage that the audio card needs is not supplied when the power is plugged in to the system. What I beleive is that since the processor is running at a higher voltage when power is plugged in, the audio device is not always getting the power it needs. Hence the clipping noise.

Maybe that prevous driver version with DAX2 api actually ran at a lower voltage. Which is why I didn't notice this issue with the original driver. I hope they can fix this. That clipping noise is extremely annoying, and it is difficult to enjoy movies and music with that noise.

SS2018
What's DOS?
Views: 969
Message 3 of 9

I'm facing the same issue, though I haven't tried to use the headphone jack when the computer is not charging. You're right that the noise is very annoying and loud. 

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 823
Message 4 of 9

I have such a problem with the new carbon x1 6th. The service center does not recognize the problem - brazenly responds that nothing hears. But I can not work with such a laptop. I propose to collect such a case and sue Lenovo to get a good working laptop. The same situation was with Dell, which was forced to recognize the design flaws of the notebooks of the xps series.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 820
Message 5 of 9

Hi dm-00, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Have you tried the solution to the similar problem found here (update to the latest BIOS)? Let us know how that goes.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
TrueAlpha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 817
Message 6 of 9

Yes, bios ver. 1.25 did fix this issue for me since updating to it last week. As far as I can tell, it is fixed, but I'm still testing it further though. I will post an update as soon as possible.

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 793
Message 7 of 9

I updated the BIOS to version 1.25.
The noise did not disappear, but it became a little quieter. But after updating the BIOS the CPU operates at maximum frequency, which leads to overheating and noise.
To get rid of the noise problem, Lenovo disconnected the power management of the CPU. This is a solution to the problem of the schoolboy at school.

I regret that I contacted lenovo, as I did not expect such a low level of engineers. Get rid of electrical interference to a sound card isolated from the motherboard - this is an elementary task, but it is solved by hardware, not by firmware.

Carbon x1 has such a high cost, a lot of compromise solutions (screen quality, sound, backlash with boron body and touchpad, key pounding) that saving on a film and screen cost less than $ 1 is surprising.

Lenovo has become one with the Dell - there is noise problem, but it can not be solved, the guarantee is not recognized as a problem.

TrueAlpha
Fanfold Paper
Views: 725
Message 8 of 9

Yes, the clipping/breaking noise seems to be muted yet still exsitant.

Also, the dolby atmos app seems to stop working when I restart my laptop too. I don't kno if others have the same issue. The Atmos app says "plug in headphones or speaker to enable dolby atmos". The only way to fix this is by removing all connected devices (power, headphones, usb devices), uninstall Audio driver and reinstall. If I have anything plugged in and restart the laptop the issue comes back.

The orginal audio driver the system came with didn't have either of these issues. The only way to get back that driver is to reinstall the stock Lenovo OS and force windows from updating drivers and ignoring the Lenovo Vantage Realtek Audio driver update.

That is just sad. I wish they fix these issueIMG_20180710_033945220.jpg

dm-00
Punch Card
Views: 659
Message 9 of 9

Unfortunately, from my experience, this problem is hardware and not treated reinstalling the driver or installing Windows updates.
Sadly, this problem manifests itself in a massively expensive laptops that should epitomize reliability.
Lenovo says in an advertisement that laptops undergo reliability tests, etc, and actually the new laptops have a lot of problems.
I regret my purchase, and I want to return my laptop to buy Dell XPS.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors