Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piehei
Paper Tape
Views: 1,741
Message 1 of 12

X1 Carbon 6th gen: BIOS update broke external monitor support

Hi

I updated my X1C6 to BIOS v 1.31 and external monitors stopped working. Nothing comes out of the USB-C and HDMI ports. Also, the computer itself doesn't recognize external monitors at all. I then upgraded to BIOS v 1.34 (latest as of now) and it didnt' help.

This happens under both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.10.

What can I do? How to debug this? How to be sure that it was the BIOS update that broke something (or if it was just bad timing and actually there's a HW issue occurring at the same time)?

Thanks a million!

rodrisanz
Punch Card
Views: 1,696
Message 2 of 12

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen: BIOS update broke external monitor support

Just got the same issue. I installed the latest "Lenovo - System"  Update 10.0.56.0 last night.  This morning my Thunderbolt 3 Dock and Thunderbolt Graphics Dock ARE NOT WORKING.

I currently have no external devices attached.  If I open Device Manager, the list of devices refreshes every 3 seconds or so - as though I were connecting and dissconnecting a device.  VERY FRUSTRATING. 

Lenovo System Update picture.png

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,661
Message 3 of 12

@rodrisanz wrote:

I currently have no external devices attached.  If I open Device Manager, the list of devices refreshes every 3 seconds or so - as though I were connecting and dissconnecting a device.  VERY FRUSTRATING. 

I recently heard of this problem, and it was solved by doing the following:

1.  reboot and press F1 to enter BIOS setup

2.  Config -> Thunderbolt

3.  For Windows 10, the setting about Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode should be Disabled.  To try to fix this problem, set it to Enabled, and select Yes to confirm it.  Then press F10 to Save and Exit

4.  The system will reboot and you will see "Configuring Thunderbolt Controller... Please do not power off!" at the bottom of the screen

5.  The system will reboot again after about 10-15 seconds.

6.  Press F1 to enter BIOS setup

7.  Config -> Thunderbolt, and change Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode back to Disabled.  Then press F10 to Save and Exit

8.  You will see "Configuring Thunderbolt Controller" again, then the system will reboot into Windows.

9.  Is the problem fixed now?

In summary, you want to toggle the "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist" setting to Enabled and back to Disabled, rebooting in between.  Can you check if this fixes the problem for you?

joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 1,639
Message 4 of 12

@someotherguy wrote:

In summary, you want to toggle the "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist" setting to Enabled and back to Disabled, rebooting in between.  Can you check if this fixes the problem for you?

Given this thread: X1Y3 Stuck at Black Screen After Enabling Thunderbolt BIOS Assist is there any chance that toggling TB BIOS assist will cause trouble? Or is that problem specific to the X1Y3? 

rodrisanz
Punch Card
Views: 1,636
Message 5 of 12

Unistalled / reinstalled the drivers and toggled the Thunderbolt 3 option in BIOS. Not sure what was the fix but it's working again. Thank you for the info!
Bird_Lawyer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,614
Message 6 of 12

None of this worked for me. 

I still can't use my external monitors on displayport. 

The dock only works with 1 HDMI monitor. 

This is annoying as hell. 

dtroyclark
What's DOS?
Views: 1,567
Message 7 of 12

We have several Lenovo T480 laptops and the ones that received the Lenovo System 10.0.56.0 update experienced the same problem with only a single external monitor working (they are plugged into a Thinkpad Ultra docking station).  We discovered that if you undock the laptops, boot them once off the docking station, and then attach them back to the docking station after booting them, that both monitors  work (and then when rebooting them while on the docking station, both external monitors continued to work).

INU000
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,175
Message 8 of 12

Hi! Did you find a way to fix the problem? I’m currently have the same issue with my X1C. Both of the Type-C ports can’t be used for external display. It’s weird that one of the port used to work, and after I unplugged it, it never worked again.

Just contacted Lenovo support and they are sending me a box for me to send back the laptop to a US depot center. Not sure what that is. Anyone fixed their laptop through that before?

cratu
Blue Screen Again
Views: 344
Message 9 of 12

I have problem that looks similar:

Dock don't work, exept Display Port. Looks like dock is totally broken. I even replase it by warranty. But nothing was changed.

After reading Thunderbolt-TB3-NOT-found-in-device-manager-for-X1-Carbon-6th I found that the ThubderboltServise was stopped. When I try to run it I found that there is no even directory from exe file. Then I try to reinstall Thunderbolt driver. Files not appear, but if you run setup.exe from C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Thunderbolt  (unpacked driver) installation will be correct. After this dock was connected succesfully.

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 289
Message 10 of 12

Same problem here, SUPER ANOYING!

Crashes after I remove Thunderbolt devices - nearly all times. 

Today, got stuck in pre-BIOS screen where it shoes the Lenovo screen. 

Interrupt by pressing enter works in the first 2 seconds, after that I have to power shotdown by longpressing the button. 

Was able to get into the BIOS, resetted to factory default settings, changed boot order to boot directly from SSD, that worked. Booted into Windows. Made an Update. 

Rebootet, still super slow in BIOS, arbitrary freezes in the BIOS. No external Monitor via HDMI are recognized. 

I will try the suggest solutions, but if I'm not responding soon, I probably have a brick in front of me. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors