Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

100 Posts

04-06-2018

United States of America

221 Signins

1394 Page Views

• Views: 1394
  • Message 1 of 309

X1 Carbon 6th gen : Fan Noise

2018-04-24, 6:02 AM

I know this has been addressed by @someotherguy for the new X1 Yoga 3rd gen.

I wanted to start a new thread for the new X1 Carbon users. 

@someotherguy wrote: 

This is for X1 Yoga 3rd-gen only.  It won't install on X1 Carbon 6th.  I will check to see if there is anything in the works for X1 Carbon 6th.

EDIT:  we are still working on the X1 Carbon 6th fan fix.  But it is definitely coming.

I wanted to start this thread and I hope someotherguy can keep us X1 Carbon users updated on the fan fix.

My fan is not only audible but running full blast sometimes when I am running only one or two chrome tab, which should be unacceptable. 

I feel like I am killing the life expetancy of my battery because while the CPU pegging has been addressed, my notebook gets easily hot and the fan is constantly running to blow the hot air out. I understand that the fan should be running and the laptop may get hot under load, but I have yet tested my X1 Carbon under hard work load. 

Answer
Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2087

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen : Fan Noise

2018-05-21, 17:17 PM

No the cases are reversed that’s why. 

Try these:

​​C:\Windows\system32\powercfg.exe /setACvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PERFEPP 33

​​C:\Windows\system32\powercfg.exe /setACvalueindex OVERLAY_SCHEME_MIN SUB_PROCESSOR PERFEPP 60

​​C:\Windows\system32\powercfg.exe /setactive scheme_current

I’ve now edited this to what you need based on your error screenshot.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor

Replies(308)
Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 2 of 309

2018-04-24, 8:22 AM

Please let us know asap @someotherguy, mine is hot like bbq grill with fan blasting at full power (I think) when plugged into Lenovo thunderbolt dock (with 2 27" monitor) with only office related usage: 5-8 excel, firefox or chrome with 10 tabs, outlook 2016, skype, skype business, kaspersky internet security...

PS: Windows 10 and Lenovo Vantage on most updated update, checked support website and I think I installed all.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 3 of 309

2018-04-24, 9:39 AM

Hi guys,

Does this occur if you close Chrome? Chrome is well known to have high CPU utilisation even with basic workload, it's just the way it works. Other browsers don't tend to do this.

PS: I'm considering getting this machine as well and am thus keen to know. Thanks.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 4 of 309

2018-04-24, 9:44 AM

wrote:

Hi guys,

Does this occur if you close Chrome? Chrome is well known to have high CPU utilisation even with basic workload, it's just the way it works. Other browsers don't tend to do this.

PS: I'm considering getting this machine as well and am thus keen to know. Thanks.

I have tab suspender so technically all non active tab are killed. Even without chrome or browser its still the same.

its a great machine but this problem is worrying...

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 5 of 309

2018-04-24, 9:57 AM

OK thanks. What is your average CPU % Utilisation though?

I'm just trying to determine whether this is a hardware design issue, fan curve issue or whether there is some unnecessary 'bloatware' process/service consuming CPU. The latter is quite common even on vanilla Windows installations that have very little basic software installed and is very likely to happen on branded machines due to the additional background processes that it runs.

Thanks again.

Options

100 Posts

04-06-2018

United States of America

221 Signins

1394 Page Views

• Views: 1394
  • Message 6 of 309

2018-04-24, 10:28 AM

@BrianSu My CPU % Utilization is usually 3% to 10%. This is ranging from nothing opened, 1 -2 chrome tabs opened, word or excel open. It's like the fan decides on its own to turn on randomly whenever it wants, despite low CPU usage. 

If I run heavier apps like Hearthstone, then the fan is running full blast and the right side of the keyboard gets very hot.

If this issue can be resolved, I highly recommend this device.  If you are picky on the touchpad, keyboard, display, then I don't think anything else beats the X1 Carbon in terms of ultrabook (maybe the X1 Yoga or the Microsoft surface books if you are willing to pay a little more, but I find them on the heavier side). I'm sure battery life will/can be extended if the fan/heating issue is solved too. 

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 7 of 309

2018-04-24, 10:42 AM

changsta2004,

Thanks for the info.

With regards to the first scenario that you've described, I have the same issue with my liquid cooled PC. CPU fan responds to temp rather than workload. I believe the issue is that the system lacks histerisis. On mine I set a histerisis of 12 seconds, i.e. if the fan curve is for it to spin up at 50 degrees C, then it will wait for 12 seconds at > 50 degrees before pushing the fan to the given RPM. Without histerisis, the fan will spin up even when the CPU experiences very brief spikes in temp. In seems in your case that the CPU briefly peaks at 10% for a second or so and falls back down, however that is enough to trigger the fan and keep the fan on for some time.

If what I have described is true, then this can be fixed via software and it isn't a hardware design issue.

Is yours using the 8650U CPU?

I did consider several options within the same form-factor e.g. Dell, HP, Asus etc. Dell and HP are still on Kaby Lake. Both have 4K screens but I would need a magnifying glass to read anything on a 4K 13 inch screen!. Asus has its own complaints. None of those have Dolby Vision though. Lastly but most importantly, I want a laptop with built in LTE-A. Ohh and the Carbon X1 is the lightest of the lot (but the MacBook is a bit lighter).

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 8 of 309

2018-04-24, 10:59 AM

wrote:

OK thanks. What is your average CPU % Utilisation though?

I'm just trying to determine whether this is a hardware design issue, fan curve issue or whether there is some unnecessary 'bloatware' process/service consuming CPU. The latter is quite common even on vanilla Windows installations that have very little basic software installed and is very likely to happen on branded machines due to the additional background processes that it runs.

Thanks again.

It’s only few %... Perhaps you want to check other thread or forum about this issue detailed numbers.

and BTW, I don’t have issue with surface pro 5 with same setup.

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 9 of 309

2018-04-24, 11:01 AM

wrote:

changsta2004,

Thanks for the info.

With regards to the first scenario that you've described, I have the same issue with my liquid cooled PC. CPU fan responds to temp rather than workload. I believe the issue is that the system lacks histerisis. On mine I set a histerisis of 12 seconds, i.e. if the fan curve is for it to spin up at 50 degrees C, then it will wait for 12 seconds at > 50 degrees before pushing the fan to the given RPM. Without histerisis, the fan will spin up even when the CPU experiences very brief spikes in temp. In seems in your case that the CPU briefly peaks at 10% for a second or so and falls back down, however that is enough to trigger the fan and keep the fan on for some time.

If what I have described is true, then this can be fixed via software and it isn't a hardware design issue.

Is yours using the 8650U CPU?

I did consider several options within the same form-factor e.g. Dell, HP, Asus etc. Dell and HP are still on Kaby Lake. Both have 4K screens but I would need a magnifying glass to read anything on a 4K 13 inch screen!. Asus has its own complaints. None of those have Dolby Vision though. Lastly but most importantly, I want a laptop with built in LTE-A. Ohh and the Carbon X1 is the lightest of the lot (but the MacBook is a bit lighter).

I wanted the LTE but it doesn’t seem available as mine was the CTO one.

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 10 of 309

2018-04-24, 11:02 AM

wrote:

@BrianSu My CPU % Utilization is usually 3% to 10%. This is ranging from nothing opened, 1 -2 chrome tabs opened, word or excel open. It's like the fan decides on its own to turn on randomly whenever it wants, despite low CPU usage. 

If I run heavier apps like Hearthstone, then the fan is running full blast and the right side of the keyboard gets very hot.

If this issue can be resolved, I highly recommend this device.  If you are picky on the touchpad, keyboard, display, then I don't think anything else beats the X1 Carbon in terms of ultrabook (maybe the X1 Yoga or the Microsoft surface books if you are willing to pay a little more, but I find them on the heavier side). I'm sure battery life will/can be extended if the fan/heating issue is solved too. 

I agreed, this is a solid machine if no cpu or fan problems....

if you want good touchpad, probably Mac is still the best, surface was ok but for x1c6 I am a bit disappointed with the touchpad to be honest....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms