Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

51 Posts

05-05-2018

United States of America

48 Signins

323 Page Views

• Views: 323
  • Message 231 of 310

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen : Fan Noise

2018-05-30, 15:38 PM

wrote:

This reviewer claimed he got 15 hours. Don't know if that is real. What we are missing here is a clear before and after clean install with respect to the Windows 10 battery life estimate (as well as a real test).

https://techaeris.com/2018/03/24/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen/

This reviewer claimed up to 22 hours with no stress, but seemed to find about 8 hours in normal use. This review is really interesting in that the reviewer points out how hot the unit ran for him.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2018-WQHD-HDR-i7-Laptop-review.284682.0.html

I can believe the high temps. Since I updated mine it has been a hit or miss with temperatures. The odd thing is it could run really quietly and cool at one time and then run hot with fans on another time. Never really had this issue before with my previous MacBooks but also had this issue with my previous X201 S Thinkpad. Lenovo will blame Microsoft and Microsoft will blame Lenovo. Finger pointing game takes place after you buy your laptop.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2087
  • Message 232 of 310

2018-05-30, 20:57 PM

No guys, my version of Windows 10 Pro is still 1709. Yes the laptop arrived today with 1709 installed.

But the fan only spun 3 times. Each for about 5 seconds at most. I've been using it 1 entire battery charge.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

48 Posts

03-21-2018

United States of America

55 Signins

817 Page Views

• Views: 817
  • Message 233 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:23 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I started a new post here. If any of you have experienced the difference of battery life after and before the reinstall of Windows 10: Please post here.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Possible-Battery-Life-Reduce-After-Clean-Reinstall/td-p/4095526

Options

48 Posts

03-21-2018

United States of America

55 Signins

817 Page Views

• Views: 817
  • Message 234 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:26 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I was concerned if the reinstall will affect the battery life since PC manufacturers adjust Wins to maximize the battery life.  

Today, I just got a chance to use the unit on battery. I had the battery saver on and set the brightness to 50%. I have been using this setting on my old unit that I was about to return to Lenovo for two months. Under it, Wins estimation usually showed me that the battery will last for more than 9 hours after a full charge. I never used the laptop long enough to let the battery die, but it was very sound. 

However, with the same setting after a clean reinstall from MS on my new laptop. The Wins estimation showed me 7 hours for most and usually just 5 hours or something. I saw the battery reduce 10 percent within 10 mins for simple web browsing and email stuff. I've restarted and charged the battery to let Wins figure out the estimation for a few times. I did feel the battery percent decreased faster now than Lenovo's factory setting Wins 10. 

I wonder if someone has also experienced this difference like me. Indeed, I still need to use the laptop on battery more often to make a final conclusion. But for those who want to reinstall a clean Wins 10, please be aware that this might be a trade-off you have to make. Meanwhile, even though the reinstall can remit the fan noise and overheating issue, in my opinion, this laptop is far away to be considered having good heat management. The fan will still run if CUP usage exceeds 20% and become crazy when you play FHD videos, downloading or something. If only using it for some web browsing and easy tasks, then what is the point to buy this 8th CPU? Given how much Lenovo charges for this unit and the price and performance of the counterparts from other company, I am not sure I will recommend this PC to anyone I know.

I will keep you guys posted.

After we did the clean installation, if the fan doesn't kick in that much (which this is the case), we should have longer battery life, right?

This is what i have - I think it's pretty decent? I have bluetooth on, on wifi, two skype, google drive sync, sugarsync, another file sync n share, kis, ondrive and etc on backround and running about 20 windows, i.e. outlook 2016, word 2016, firefox ~20 tabs, whatsapp desktop....

Sorry buddy. I can't really tell. Everyone use their laptop differently. I mention this only because I realized this difference comparing to my other unit running Lenovo's system.  

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 235 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:41 PM

Ok so while yesterday the laptop was powered solely by its internal battery, today I had it running on external power.

I had disabled Windows Updates, Google Updates and MS Office Updates.

Unbeknownst to me, a program called Lenovo Vantage downloaded and installed drivers for some devices and prompted to flash the IME firmware.

Once all that way done, this 'fan problem' kicked in. I had the CPU speed at > 4 GHz with only 1% Utilization. After executing the 3 PowerShell commands, the CPU speed dropped to 800 MHz < > 1.2 GHz and the fan stopped spinning. It really was as simple as that.

The laptop is now dead silent while idle because I've disabled almost all Windows 10's features that I deem unnecessary. This is what I do with every performance machine that I use.

Just to add, there is a process that kicks on every now and then which takes up circa 25% CPU. I believe this is linked to Lenovo Vantage. I will monitor and try to nip it at its roots should this happen again.

Ohh here are the before and after screenshots, along with the CPU temp.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 236 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:46 PM

wrote:

Ok so while yesterday the laptop was powered solely by its internal battery, today I had it running on external power.

I had disabled Windows Updates, Google Updates and MS Office Updates.

Unbeknownst to me, a program called Lenovo Vantage downloaded and installed drivers for some devices and prompted to flash the IME firmware.

Once all that way done, this 'fan problem' kicked in. I had the CPU speed at > 4 GHz with only 1% Utilization. After executing the 3 PowerShell commands, the CPU speed dropped to 800 MHz < > 1.2 GHz and the fan stopped spinning. It really was as simple as that.

The laptop is now dead silent while idle because I've disabled almost all Windows 10's features that I deem unnecessary. This is what I do with every performance machine that I use.

Just to add, there is a process that kicks on every now and then which takes up circa 25% CPU. I believe this is linked to Lenovo Vantage. I will monitor and try to nip it at its roots should this happen again.

Ohh here are the before and after screenshots, along with the CPU temp.

Duh :(

I think best to reinstall a clean Win 10 now while still early or if you don’t mind maybe you can wait for the patch, I am happy with the clean install so far...

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 237 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:47 PM

wuga, did you install Lenovo Vantage after performing the clean installation?

Options

50 Posts

04-02-2018

Italy

155 Signins

1104 Page Views

• Views: 1104
  • Message 238 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:56 PM

wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. I started a new post here. If any of you have experienced the difference of battery life after and before the reinstall of Windows 10: Please post here.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Possible-Battery-Life-Reduce-After-Clean-Reinstall/td-p/4095526

Tried yesterday and today and got 8:25h from 100% to 10%  70% brightness normal use. I don't see any difference from what I used to get before windows fresh installation.

Options

58 Posts

11-19-2015

United States of America

51 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 239 of 310

2018-05-31, 21:58 PM

BrianSu: This is interesting. I did a clean install, but intentionally installed Lenovo Vantage afterward because it provides a nice list of items you can update in your computer if you like (you're not forced to). After the clean install, the only things that needed updating were minor things. The ones I had previously updated were apparently still as such. It hasn't occured to me that Lenovo Vantage would reset the fan problem and I think that is unlikely becuase the bulletin from Lenovo says this was part of the Lenovo Windows 10 preload on certain units. Since I removed those partitions, the problem would only continue, I would think, if it is a Windows 10 flaw, which is not the implication of the Lenovo bulletin. 

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 240 of 310

2018-05-31, 22:06 PM

wrote:

BrianSu: This is interesting. I did a clean install, but intentionally installed Lenovo Vantage afterward because it provides a nice list of items you can update in your computer if you like (you're not forced to). After the clean install, the only things that needed updating were minor things. The ones I had previously updated were apparently still as such. It hasn't occured to me that Lenovo Vantage would reset the fan problem and I think that is unlikely becuase the bulletin from Lenovo says this was part of the Lenovo Windows 10 preload on certain units. Since I removed those partitions, the problem would only continue, I would think, if it is a Windows 10 flaw, which is not the implication of the Lenovo bulletin. 

I did install as well Lenovo vantage and yes the update was minor, so far I am happy...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)