Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 241 of 310

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen : Fan Noise

2018-05-31, 22:08 PM

wrote:

wuga, did you install Lenovo Vantage after performing the clean installation?

Yes I did, lazy and dunno which to install so vantage is the easiest...

i am even happy with connecting to usb c dock with one wqhd monitor on DP, keyboard, mouse and plantronics phone.

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 242 of 310

2018-05-31, 22:09 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. I started a new post here. If any of you have experienced the difference of battery life after and before the reinstall of Windows 10: Please post here.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Possible-Battery-Life-Reduce-After-Clean-Reinstall/td-p/4095526

Tried yesterday and today and got 8:25h from 100% to 10%  70% brightness normal use. I don't see any difference from what I used to get before windows fresh installation.

I think so, I am happy on better battery with >5 hours

Options

58 Posts

11-19-2015

United States of America

51 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 243 of 310

2018-05-31, 22:21 PM

Cheap Cooling Pad: Here's a no-cost cooling pad for you all. My prior X1 (3rd generation) also created a degree of heat that was sometimes uncomfortable when positioned in my lap (across my thighs). I looked for solutions online (cooling pads) and they were all expensive, too big, too heavy, etc. So I created my own for free. I picked up a UPS shipping box, folded the cardboard sides in half (making it double thickness), cut it to size, and taped the open end (away from the fold) with shipping tape. As I work almost exclusively with the unit on my thighs, this has worked great. It's very light (a few ounces), small, and cheap. I've taken it with me around the world for a couple of years and it's still going strong. I found with this new 6th generation that the feet on the comuter were not keeping it up above the cardboard. The 3rd had round feet. The 6th has elongated feet. I any case, I figured out that this was starving the air intake vent, so I cut a square hole the size of the intake, as you will see. Works great. Costs nothing.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2087
  • Message 244 of 310

2018-05-31, 22:26 PM

wrote:

wrote:

i am even happy with connecting to usb c dock with one wqhd monitor on DP, keyboard, mouse and plantronics phone.

OK thanks. Yeah Lenovo Vantage does some cool stuff like auto airplane mode, auto power settings based on whether the unit is on the user's lap or a table, etc. But the best feature IMO is the battery saver one that allows one to specify the charging trigger % and cutoff %. This is something that all Li-Ion powered devices should have had years ago. I love it!!!

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 245 of 310

2018-05-31, 23:46 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

OK thanks. Yeah Lenovo Vantage does some cool stuff like auto airplane mode, auto power settings based on whether the unit is on the user's lap or a table, etc. But the best feature IMO is the battery saver one that allows one to specify the charging trigger % and cutoff %. This is something that all Li-Ion powered devices should have had years ago. I love it!!!

Enjoy ur new toy...

Options

58 Posts

11-19-2015

United States of America

51 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 246 of 310

2018-06-01, 1:24 AM

BrianSu: Thanks for pointing out the options in Lenovo Vantage. I found in the Hardware Settings, Smart Settings the Intelligent Cooling feature you mention, which is on by default. More interestingly to me, I found that you can disable it and choose to optimize the system for Performance or Cool and Quiet. I disabled it and picked Cool and Quiet. What a difference it seems to make! I'm not sure what level of performance I might be losing, but for my level of use, this seems MUCH better. Haven't heard the fan since.

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 247 of 310

2018-06-01, 8:01 AM

wrote:

BrianSu: Thanks for pointing out the options in Lenovo Vantage. I found in the Hardware Settings, Smart Settings the Intelligent Cooling feature you mention, which is on by default. More interestingly to me, I found that you can disable it and choose to optimize the system for Performance or Cool and Quiet. I disabled it and picked Cool and Quiet. What a difference it seems to make! I'm not sure what level of performance I might be losing, but for my level of use, this seems MUCH better. Haven't heard the fan since.

Yeah that’s my next course of action if the fan still causes me problems. I doubt the performance deficit can be felt unless we multitask etc. If a single program requires high CPU like video encoding it should still run at the same speed because this option doesn’t seem to be throttling the CPU. I think it sets the affinity differently. Gaming motherboards normally have such features to lower CPU allocation to background tasks and I think this is doing something similar.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
Options

48 Posts

03-21-2018

United States of America

55 Signins

817 Page Views

• Views: 817
  • Message 248 of 310

2018-06-02, 16:15 PM

Two days ago, I switched a type c cable to connected the laptop with my dock to connect with two 1080P monitors. And then, the fan starts to run much more often than before. It runs crazily sometimes when CPU usage under 20%, which never happened before after my reinstall of Wins 10. I switched back to my USB 3.0 type A cable but the problem remains. I checked all the drivers and everything seems fine. Right now, if I open one more tab in chrome, the fan will run and then becomes silent. So the fun just runs for a few seconds and then stops. back on, off, back on off. It is super annoying. 

Options

218 Posts

04-24-2018

258 Signins

2087 Page Views

• Message 249 of 310

2018-06-02, 16:39 PM

wrote:

Two days ago, I switched a type c cable to connected the laptop with my dock to connect with two 1080P monitors. And then, the fan starts to run much more often than before. It runs crazily sometimes when CPU usage under 20%, which never happened before after my reinstall of Wins 10. I switched back to my USB 3.0 type A cable but the problem remains. I checked all the drivers and everything seems fine. Right now, if I open one more tab in chrome, the fan will run and then becomes silent. So the fun just runs for a few seconds and then stops. back on, off, back on off. It is super annoying. 

Hmm wasn’t aware that was possible. I thought only TB 3 could support monitors but guess I was wrong.

Options

76 Posts

04-23-2018

Singapore

105 Signins

494 Page Views

• Message 250 of 310

2018-06-03, 0:25 AM

I am using both TB3 and USB C dock, I M fine with USB C dock but not TB3, doing an exchange on TB3 dock, will check again when I get the new one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)