Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenbrooks10
What's DOS?
Views: 1,119
Message 31 of 40

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen HDMI not working

Got a StarTech USB3.0 to dual HDMI converter. Works great. Maybe Lenovo should just throw in one of these with their computers instead of the crappy HDMI hardware and software they build in.

fiberoptic
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 32 of 40

The issue is the Intel graphics driver. Using Window's  or Intel's update won't do it, nor did Lenovo's website direct to the right one. Using Lenovo System Update, which itself had to be updated on a April 2019 built X1 Carbon. It found the new driver.

The correct Intel HD Graphics driver is Win10 64bit 25.20.100.6519

fiberoptic
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 33 of 40

Nikhil291
What's DOS?
Views: 879
Message 34 of 40

Amazing fix. Very helpful. Thanks
squawkasian
What's DOS?
Views: 869
Message 35 of 40

I spent hours troubleshooting getting my Thunderbolt 3 Docking station working properly with my new X1 Carbon  even after reinstalling drivers, making sure BIOS was set correctly, and going through other forum posts.  The paper clip reset did the trick and got the Thunderbolt Controller to finally appear in the Device Manager and now I can see Thunderbolt devices attached.  Great solution!

fritzmg
What's DOS?
Views: 571
Message 36 of 40

@ThinkPadXpert could you please explain what that reset button actually does? I cannot find any detailed information about that feature. I just want to make sure, that I do not loose any settings or data etc.

I am currently experiencing the same problem. HDMI is suddenly not working anymore (neither via a USB-C dock nor directly via the HDMI connector). The Thunderbolt controller is also not found on my system - thus it seems I need to do this reset as well.

Mattd151
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 37 of 40

@ThinkPadXpert I too am having the same issue. Windows 10 1903. HDMI suddenly stopped working, same with my USB-C to HDMI (I have two external monitors) this setup has been working more or less without issue up until today and now I'm completely blocked at work and can't get anything useful done as I'm busy troubleshooting this. I get the same issue with my Thunderbolt Controller not appearing in Device Manager, paperclip restart / BIOS settings / uninstall software has not worked. 

Please advise or should I send the laptop in to Lenovo? How could this break effectively overnight? 

EDIT: 5 hours of plugging / unplugging USB-C / HDMI cables, uninstalling / reinstalling drivers, doing system updates, paperclip resetting, and opening the back of the laptop and spraying compressed air at it and it suddenly starts working again with, it seems to me, no tangible changes since when it wasn't working. So I really don't know what that was about, or if some connection is loose or what, but I can finally work again despite half my day being wasted on this. Here's hoping it does not happen again.

gomie
What's DOS?
Views: 207
Message 38 of 40

after an hour and a half of restarting, trying to update firmware, THIS DID IT, paperclip to reset fixed HDMI issue, unbelievable, thanks!!
changsta2004
SCSI Port
Views: 175
Message 39 of 40

glad you got yours to work. 

gdowdy3
What's DOS?
Views: 86
Message 40 of 40

I pressed the power reset button as you suggested. I did not then see any Thunderbolt Controller items in the Device Manager list. However, my external monitor is now working! Thanks!

Update: It stopped working again the following day.  Smiley Sad  The paper clip fix made it work again, but this isn't a sustainable solution.  Lenovo, there are clearly a lot of people experiencing this problem.  You need to get serious about fixing it, or you're going to lose some customers.  Personally, this is my first Lenovo product, and, I've got to say, I'm not impressed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors