Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seattlenerd
Punch Card
Views: 4,105
Message 1 of 13

X1 Carbon 6th gen Integrated Camera Stops Sending Video After 30 minutes

Late in June (and it may go back further to when I bought the laptop earlier this year), I noticed the integrated camera in my X1 Carbon 6th Gen always stops sending video from the integrated camera exactly 30 minutes into a video conference.

It doesn't make any difference if it's Skype, Zoom, or Google Hangouts. After 30 minutes in a video conference, the video feed freezes on a single frame of me, but the white LED next to the integrated camera is still lit.

I've discovered that I need to start Task Manager, find Windows Camera Frame Server, force WCFS to quit, turn off the integrated camera in the video conference application, wait a moment for the white LED to go out, and then restart the integrated camera in the video conference application to get the video to restart.

Lately I've been keeping Task Manager running from the start of the video conference calls. I've noticed that WCFS spikes at 20-30% of CPU use just before the video freezes (it usually is below 5-10%). 

I appear to have the latest Integrated Camera Driver for Realtek (updated 6/11/18, released 6/5/18) and have the most recent BIOS and other firmware updates. The last time this behavior occurred was in my most recent video conference, on 8/24/18.

Is this a known issue?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 4,052
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen Integrated Camera Stops Sending Video After 30 minutes

I haven't heard this before.

Can you please open Device Manager -> Cameras -> Integrated Camera -> Driver tab, and tell me who is the Driver Provider?

We have a couple suppliers for the camera so when I try to reproduce this, I want to make sure I'm using same camera as you.

seattlenerd
Punch Card
Views: 4,049
Message 3 of 13

The Driver Provider in the Driver tab of Integrated Camera Properties is listed as Realtek.

If it helps, the Driver Date is 4/20/2018, and the Driver Version is 10.0.16299.20037.

Thanks!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,988
Message 4 of 13

I could reproduce this here.  We will investigate it.

Just FYI.  X1 Carbon 6th comes with either Realtek or SunPlus camera.  This problem only happens with the Realtek camera.  It might be a bug in the Realtek camera driver.

There is a newer version of the Realtek driver that isn't released yet.  My next step is to try this newer driver.  If the problem still happens, then I will need to ask Realtek to debug it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,987
Message 5 of 13

I found that this problem is solved by a newer driver that hasn't been released yet, version 10.0.17134.20050

Could you please try it?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhfg8sOQHG5bjqp9Iyw

To install it:

1.  download and unzip

2.  open Device Manager

3.  open the Integrated Camera device and then click on the Driver tab

4.  click on the "Update Driver" button

5. click on "Browse my computer..."

6.  point to the folder where you unzipped in step 1

seattlenerd
Punch Card
Views: 3,967
Message 6 of 13

I do appreciate the diagnosis. Unfortunately, Chrome is blocking the download due to the zipped file's contents. If there's another way to obtain the file, I'm glad to try it.

UPDATE: Actually, I was able to bypass the Chrome warning after experimenting with a setting after the initial downloads were discarded. I will give this a try.

seattlenerd
Punch Card
Views: 3,950
Message 7 of 13

After applying the updated Realtek driver for the integrated camera, I was able to host a one-person (me only) video Google Hangout for more than 30 minutes without the video freezing. Also, I had Task Manager running throughout, and Windows Camera Frame Server CPU usage didn't abruptly spike at the 30 minute mark, either, as far as I could tell. I'm looking forward to trying it on a real video call.

So I can confirm the updated Realtek driver 10.0.17134.20050 appears to fix to the problem. 

Greatly appreciated. This probably will be very useful to others, too, who have longer video conference calls.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 3,937
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for letting me know.  Sorry for this trouble!

sikyon
Paper Tape
Views: 3,921
Message 9 of 13

Perfect! Thank you so much I have been seriously struggling with this problem for the last month on and off!

mitsuhide
Punch Card
Views: 3,892
Message 10 of 13

Got a Realtek cam here and can confirm that it continued to work for 33 minutes without stopping under Ubuntu 18.04 out of the box, so it's not a hardware limitation.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors