cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
musical7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 589
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 6th gen : Won't sleep at the set sleep time in Windows 10 power settings

Two related issues:

1) With "Turn off the display" set to never and "Put the computer to sleep" is set for a number of minutes, the computer does not sleep after the time set and the display stays on.

2) With "Turn off the display" set to a number of minutes while sleep time is set to a longer time or never, the display turns off at the set time. However, it appears the computer immediately goes to sleep at the display off time, as the display turns off the sleep and power lights start blinking. How can I tell tell whether the computer is really sleeping at that moment or whether just the display is off?

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 537
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen : Won't sleep at the set sleep time in Windows 10 power settings

I've long given up trying to get this laptop to seperate "screen off" from "standby."

musical7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 532
Message 3 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen : Won't sleep at the set sleep time in Windows 10 power settings

@jeremyshaw wrote:

I've long given up trying to get this laptop to seperate "screen off" from "standby."

do you have any thoughts on whether the laptop really goes to sleep or standby when the display times out?

my laptop is my laptop is brand new and I'm concerned that it is not really going into standby or sleep at all.

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 525
Message 4 of 5

EDIT: I should note I have disabled Modern Standby for a week or so now, so what I posted about system behavior above might no longer be valid.

I ran the sleepstudy and correlated the time periods the screen went off and the system entered standby.

You, too, can run the Microsoft Sleep Study by opening an admin level command prompt (or Powershell), and invoking powercfg with the arguement, "/sleeystudy" and the program will output a html file in whatever directory you invoked the command (you can also redirect the output somewhere else).

One way of doing this is:

1) right click the start menu icon

2) click "Windows Powershell (Admin)" or "Command Promt (Admin)"

3) since I'm a bit lazy, type into the shell

cd c:\

and press the Enter key. This sets the current directory as the c drive root, so when we generate the report, it will be output into the c:\ root. The lazy part? There is a proper way of invoking a different output directory from the powercfg tool, I just don't want to look it up.

4) then invoke the sleep study with

powercfg sleepstudy

and press the enter key to generate the report. It may take a few seconds.

5) once it's done, you may close the command prompt (or Powershell) and open up the c:\ drive.

6) open the report (should be a html file named "sleepstudy-report.html"), and you should be able to figure it out from here Smiley Happy

source:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2014/06/26/sleep-study-diagnose-whats-draining-your-batt...

I know the link says Windows 8.1 and uses some depreciated terminology (InstantGo is basically Modern Standby), but the steps from there are still valid.

musical7
Blue Screen Again
Views: 502
Message 5 of 5

@jeremyshaw
powercfg sleepstudy

Great tip, it does show my system entering Modern Standby.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors