Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CvT
Not applicable
Views: 1,148
Message 1 of 14

X1 Carbon 6th gen and X1 Yoga 3rd gen Modern Standby issues

As a new owner of an X1 Carbon 6th gen I love the hardware, really light and thin and excellent screen!

However I cannot get used to the modern standby (S0i3) that this laptop uses. It no longer supports the normal (S3) standby which causes me a lot of confusion and trouble.

Everytime I use the laptop to complete unattended tasks (number crunching, VM's or a backup) the screen turns off after a while (as set in the power & sleep options in Windows). But somehow the laptop also goes to sleep automatically when the screen is turned off, even though I have the sleep option under power & sleep setting to Never on AC. After some research online I found that this is a "feature" from modern standby. The laptop makes it look like it goes to sleep (the power button light is pulsing slowly) but it is actually in a low power state that is designed to make it work more like a smartphone always on device. The advantages should be that your email, music etc continue during this low power state. This is all very nice if it would work as intented, however it appears that only certain Microsoft apps support this low power state. My usual email program (EmClient) crashes everytime the laptop goes to this low power state, my backups (even Windows own) fail, my VM's stop, my number crunching apps stop etc...

So basically this laptop cannot run any unattended tasks, since you have to move the mouse/keyboard every few minutes to prevent it from turning the screen off which causes the low power state. Of course you also select the screen to never turn off, however I don't want my screen on and burning in for whole nights...

One of the other issues with modern standby is that the laptop does not immediatly go to sleep when you close the lid. The power light will start pulsating making you think it is sleeping, however the fan continues to run and the laptop remains hot since it appears to still running some programs while in low power state. So when everybody wants to close the lid of their laptop and throw it in a bag to go home, this laptop while continue producing heat with fans on, something I am not confortable with when travelling for example. Of course this also results in really poor "standby" battery drain, about 3-4% per hour.

The alternative would be to hibernate the laptop everytime instead of putting to "sleep" when closing the lid, but basically this makes the whole idea of laptop "sleep" a bit ridiculous.

I have already tried every power setting to resolve this issue, changed registry values, changed BIOS settings etc, nothing helped, as it is designed to work like this. So I ended up putting everything back to default (BIOS default, reinstalled recovery Windows) and have given up on solving this issue myself.

I think Lenove should enable the users to choose between S0i3 and S3 standby modes, even if this involves a OS reinstall. In it current state the X1 Carbon 6th gen is not fit as a "work" computer with it's high sleep battery drain and being unable to stay on (AC power) unattended with it's screen off. It would also be nice if Lenove & Microsoft point out that modern standby only works well with a select group of Microsoft apps but more often not with other mainstream software.

zekeblue
Not applicable
Views: 1,119
Message 2 of 14

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen and X1 Yoga 3rd gen Modern Standby issues

Is this a Lenovo or a Windows "feature"?

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 14

Is this one of the registry tweaks you've tried?

https://superuser.com/questions/1153162/how-do-i-stop-windows-10-going-to-sleep-after-locking-with-w...

Does running a screensaver instead of screen blank/lock avoid the problem?  Not suggesting that as a fix, but looking for data points and possible temp workarounds...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

CvT
Not applicable
Views: 1,112
Message 4 of 14

The modern standby ($083) and lack of normal standby (S3) is a X1C6 "feature" meant for Windows 10. It also causes a lot of issues for Linux users, see other threads. Some users are trying to hack the ACPI tables to enable normal standby, but I think lenovo should offer an alternative BIOS option to enable it.

CvT
Not applicable
Views: 1,109
Message 5 of 14

Selecting a "blank" screensaver doesn't help as the screen backlight doesn't switch off, it just shows a black screen.

zoltanthegypsy
Not applicable
Views: 1,108
Message 6 of 14

@CvT wrote:

The modern standby ($083) and lack of normal standby (S3) is a X1C6 "feature" meant for Windows 10. It also causes a lot of issues for Linux users, see other threads. Some users are trying to hack the ACPI tables to enable normal standby, but I think lenovo should offer an alternative BIOS option to enable it.

Roger that.  I'd still like to know if you've tried that specific registry hack.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

zekeblue
Not applicable
Views: 1,107
Message 7 of 14

Thanks.  If my unit, arriving today, functions this way, I will add my complaint directly to Lenovo.

. . . . . Zeke . . . . . X1 Carbon G6 - Win10 (current), P50 - Win10 (2 yrs), T510 - Win7 (previous 6 yrs)
CvT
Not applicable
Views: 1,085
Message 8 of 14

I tried the registry hack as mentioned above, but it doesn't work. It prevents the display from turning off, which already worked for me. What I actually want is to be able to turn the display off without going to sleep (low power state) so I can leave my laptop working through the night without screen wear.

I don't think it is possible with a device with the modern standby as the X1C6 is, technical documents from Microsoft state it as design feature that the device goes to low power state when the screen turns off.

Personally I think the only fix is a BIOS one that changes the laptop from a modern standby device (S0i3) to a normal device (S3 support). Maybe others will succeed with a ACPI table hack, but personally I am not going to do that because of the risk corrupting the BIOS etc...

Basically this laptop is suitable for light Microsoft Office work when charged every night and using only Microsoft apps that support modern standby. But I also want to use other software and that is only possible with the screen permanently on, which is not acceptable for longer periods.

Hopefully someone at Lenovo reads these forums and helps putting out a BIOS fix that will let users change the device to a normal S3 sleep device.

Paul_Review2020
Not applicable
Views: 568
Message 9 of 14

Has anything been updated in BIOS to resolve the battery drain issue.

Microsoft's website says the batter should not drain more than 5% over 16 hours with in Connected Modern Standby

NealD85
Not applicable
Views: 460
Message 10 of 14

Can we get an official reponse from Lenovo on this issue? Connected Standby is causing my users a lot of headaches. One user's battery report showed this state used 71% of their battery overnight. We'll likely have users shutdown or hibernate their X1s when not in use, but that's not really acceptable.

I don't understand the need for this state, as X1s come out of a traditional sleep state fairly quickly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors