Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTSB
Paper Tape
Views: 2,154
Message 1 of 6

X1 Carbon 6th gen audio stopped working

Audio was working perfectly then stopped. Had a recent system update installed, so not sure if that caused it. Also recently installed headphone drivers. Among my actions: updated driver; also unistalled and reinstalled latest driver. No effect, still no sound from Realtek speakers.

I'd welcome any suggestions. Right now I have a great laptop but no sound.

BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 2,116
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen audio stopped working

Hi GTSB,

There was a known issue regarding Windows 10 Version 1809 Cumulative Update KB4471332 Breaking Down Audio. Check if it exists in your Windows and remove it if necessary.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
GTSB
Paper Tape
Views: 2,104
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, KBCowboy. Yes, this is exactly the OS Build that I believe caused the problem, and exactly the problem (playback audio not working on default device - laptop speakers with Realtek High Definition Audio driver). I saw no corrective action mentioned, and I've literally tried everying short of rolling back my entire system using a Restore Point. Nothing has worked, and I've been at it for the last 48 hours.

At this point I'm going to wait until Microsoft/Lenovo/Realtek figure it out. I don't want to waste any more time on this. But thanks for the heads up on this article to confirm the real source of the problem. Much appreciated.

GTSB
Paper Tape
Views: 2,103
Message 4 of 6

And yes, I know you're "BMCowboy"...but to me you're "KBCowboy"...
BMCowboy
802.11n
Views: 2,086
Message 5 of 6

Hi, here comes the KBCowboy again ^^"

Check on post #8 from this thread and see if it helps to fix your X1 Carbon.

"May the Force be with Lenovo"
GTSB
Paper Tape
Views: 2,038
Message 6 of 6

SOLVED: Just as I suspected, the cause of the speakers not working was a Windows 10 update incompatibility with the correct current Realtek driver. No amount of updating or reinstalling of the Realtek driver fixed the issue. Today, Windows installed its latest update and without any further jerking around with the Realtek audio driver, the speakers immediately started working again with no problems.

But thanks for trying to help, "KBCowboy".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors