Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thinkpad_123
What's DOS?
Views: 1,640
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 6th gen extremely hot when charging

I got this laptop 2 days ago and I noticed charging produces a massive amount of heat. Most of the heat is concentrated to the top left corner of the laptop where the charing port is. I cannot even put a finger there as it is too hot. Is this normal for TB3 charging laptops?? I have an older laptop that used the barrel charger and it never got this hot.

I also noticed once it gets above 80% charge the heat reduces. This issue happens both in linux and windows. except in windows for whatever reason the fan comes on at 4000 RPM when it is plugged in. BIOS is 1.31 and I have set everything to balanced power mode in BIOS. 

Guru
Views: 1,594
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen extremely hot when charging

My X1 Yoga gets very warm when charging, but never too hot to touch. It's most likely because of the rapid charging system Lenovo has. 

If your laptop gets dangerously hot to touch, I recommend contacting Lenovo support because that is not normal.

I'd also recommend checking out this Reddit thread about your issue and this link here on how to lower temperatures w/ a third party application.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 1,582
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen extremely hot when charging

Mine gets pretty warm in the top left corner, too. Not hot, though. Only about as warm as the area near the vent, when playing a game or running a long and heavy load. Does this happen with all chargers?

Tempurature (and heat) reduces after 80% because of how Lenovo's quick charging works. It's basically disabled after 80%, since charging that last 20% of the battery is the most damaging to a battery (w.r.t. an usual charge cycle; due to internal resistance at higher voltages). To lengthen the overall lifespan of the battery (the one measured in cycles and Whr capacity, not hours), the system charges the top 20% at a much lower rate. This is consistent with Lenovo's marketing claims for quick charging.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors