Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nay-Kee
Paper Tape
Views: 103
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon 6th gen throttles CPU when display is off

Hello world,

this is my first Lenovo Notebook (X1 Carbon 6th Gen) and my first post because i still have problems.

Did anybody else experience that as soon as the display goes off the fan noise becomes more quiet under full load (encoding a video).

I looked into XTU and the max CPU freuqency is throtteled as soon as display is off.

When display goes on it fan noise comes back to normal.

Thats quite bad, because i want to encode a video, go and drink a coffee, come back and then it should be finished instead of the notebook saving battery life ^^.

Maybe its something related to modern standby, that annoying thing.

Of course standby in Windows 10 is off, performance in BIOS is set to maximize performance in both options, windows energy state is on max performance and that power saving setting in lenovo vantage is off.

BIOS version is the most actual 1.28 but i also had this problem in the older firmware versions.

Help and experiences are much appreciated, hotline is not helpful, thanks.

Nay-Kee
Paper Tape
Views: 93
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen throttles CPU when display is off

Update: it seems that this happens on battery no mattery which setting i choose in BIOS power options. in the older BIOS versions it was also on AC.

In BIOS Version 1.28 on AC it's ok (no throttling)on battery throttling while display off even on max Performance (2*BIOS, Windows, Vantage)

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 62
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon 6th gen throttles CPU when display is off

Absolutely has to do with Modern Standby. Your computer goes into reduced power mode as soon as screen goes dark - you can confirm this by looking at the power LED, it should be pulsating. Same for lid light. It's really confusing at first. Other than BIOS setting change, you could always disable screen timeout and then set it to low brightness. At least it does continue to work on things instead of stopping execution completely!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors