US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 8

X1 Carbon 7th Gen External Display Not Working + Thunderbolt Missing

2020-01-31, 10:05 AM

Hello everyone,

At the end of last year I bought a bunch of Carbon X1 7th Generation laptops for our office, and several of these are suffering from the issue that is also described in these threads:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-gen-HDMI-not-working/td-p/4091511/highlight/true

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-HDMI-Not-Working-and-Thunderbolt-Missing/m-p/4326149

Basically, the laptops will occasionally cease to recognise external displays, and when this happens Thunderbolt has also gone missing.

The top thread mentions that firmware has been released in June that should solve the issue (post 41), but as far as I can see our systems are currently up to date according to Vantage with Thunderbolt driver 1.41.729.0 installed, and the problem persists. (Granted, the thread was about 6th gen, and I am not sure how relevant it is for 7th gen laptops).

Another solution mentioned in the same thread is to reset the laptop with the small button on the bottom. This does indeed solve the problem, but only temporarily - after a while, the issue returns.

What I am therefore looking for is a permanent fix for this problem, but since I am out of ideas myself, I am hoping that someone here might have another suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Carbon 7th Gen External Display Not Working + Thunderbolt Missing

2020-02-03, 17:55 PM

Hi Ste627!

Welcome to our forums community.

Are you connected to the eternal display through a docking station or directly to the computer? Have you tried using a different cable? Can you send to us the system information? Just tyoe msinfo on the search box at the bottom left side of your laptop. Let us know.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

0 Posts

01-31-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2020-02-04, 7:10 AM

Thank you for the response!

I don't think it's the cable because we actually have 4 or 5 systems here that are experiencing the same issue (all of the same type and with the same specs), and switching out the cable did not seem to solve the problem. None of us have a docking station, so we're using the port(s) on the laptop itself for connecting the display(s). Please find the specs of one of the systems below:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 20QD00KNMH
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_20QD_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N2HET42W (1.25 ), 26/11/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 1.10
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Product 20QD00KNMH
BaseBoard Version SDK0J40697 WIN
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name AD\ai13035
Time Zone W. Europe Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.78 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.88 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.97 GB
Page File Space 8.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection On
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

52 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 4 of 8

2020-02-04, 19:07 PM

You're aware of this right?

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/solutions/HT508988

link says 6th gen but it's eelevant to 7th gen.

Basically thunderbolt will fail easily, if it's still failing after doing all that you should get the system board replaced.

Options

0 Posts

01-31-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2020-02-05, 10:51 AM

No, I had not seen that before - thank you for the link!

I tried to install the driver package but it told me I already have the "best" version for my pc. Something however did seem to update/install when trying the firmware, so I will see if this has solved the issue. I hope it did, because I don't think I'll be able to send back half the office pcs for replacement of the system board...

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 6 of 8

2020-02-05, 14:15 PM

There are recent updates for your machine needed. You currently have Windows 10 1903 version but your computer is upgradeable to Windows 10 1909 so kindly check pending Windows update. Go to the Start  button --> Settings --> Update & Security --> Windows Update. Install the current BIOS version here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-7th-gen-type-20qd-20qe/20qd/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI. You can also check updates from the Vantage app. Run the update then install all available updates detected. Let us know how it goes. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

25 Posts

12-19-2013

US

52 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-02-05, 14:28 PM

I would also recommend turning off Thunderbolt security in the BIOS to make sure that isn't causing problems. That actually seemed to fix a recent computer I was working on where the network adapter on dock didn't work.

Options

0 Posts

01-31-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2020-02-11, 6:53 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I ran Windows update last week and installed everything that was available. According to Vantage too I am completely up to date. For a moment it looked like the problem might be solved, but this morning when switching on my pc the external screens were unfortunately gone again.

I have not changed the setting in the BIOS yet - I will try that next. Are there any other suggestions? (I imagine that a replacement of the system board would involve returning the laptops and being without them for a while, and all data on them would be wiped when they come back? We have at least 7 confirmed cases in the office, which is about a third of the total staff, so going this route would create a large amount of issues and extra work for us (if at all doable), so I would like to avoid it if at all possible.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save