02-06-2017

US

6 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 7th Gen audio, wifi, battery problems

2020-08-06, 19:48 PM

Every laptop I've ever owned has been a Thinkpad, from the 600x onward.

I have had more trouble with my 7th gen X1 Carbon (20QD) than I have had with all the others combined.  My X1 3rd gen was great for 5 years (and still is), but since I've "upgraded" to the 7th gen I have had problems for at least the last 6 months, to the point where it's hard to use the laptop.

From most to least important:

• Audio driver sometimes stops working after waking from suspend.  This is intermittent; it usually happens once or twice per week, and is especially annoying when I have to start a Zoom meeting and the audio doesn't work.  The error is "We can't find an audio device - 0x8889000f".  The only way to fix it is to intentionally hibernate and resume or shut down and restart, which makes me think it was a software problem.  Currently on driver 6.0.8854.1, but this has been going on for at least 6 months through multiple driver and BIOS updates. (Threads: Sound not working after sleep, Realtek Audio intermittently stopping, Realtek audio keeps failing, Realtek audio stops working, )  After resuming from hibernate, audio is garbled, but only until stopped.  The next thing "played" sounds as it should.
  • Wifi intermittently loses connection with the message "No Internet, Secured" on Windows 10, and it shows the "globe" icon in the system try instead of the normal wifi signal indicator.  This happens about once every day or 2.  Every other device on my Wifi remains connected, and disabling and re-enabling wifi from Windows network and Internet settings usually fixes the problem, but sometimes I have to do it twice.  This has also happened for at least 6 months through multiple driver versions.  Current Intel 9560 driver is 21.90.2.1. (Threads: Wifi not connected when waking from sleep, )
  • "Battery not detected" issue began approximately 6 months ago.  This issue luckily hasn't happened since April after updating the Power Management driver to "1.67.17.51" from 4/13/2020 (my thread regarding this)
  • Worst Trackpoint "drift" I've ever had; I have to remove finger for at least 3 sec. to re-calibrate.  Happens multiple times per day
  • unacceptably slow on battery power.  This 7th Gen has an i5 with 16GB of RAM and an NVMe drive, and it's MUCH slower than my 2015 3rd Gen with 8GB RAM when on battery.  It's fine when plugged in.

Most of these things seem to be software problems, because futzing with it makes it work again, but taken together these problems are had to deal with.

My X1 is still under warranty, but if these are truly software problems I'm worried that a replacement won't fix the problem.

In addition, I depend on this laptop, and being without it for weeks is something I can't do.

What do you guys think?

-Wes

Options

3 Posts

02-12-2020

US

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen audio, wifi, battery problems

2020-09-11, 0:15 AM

@ waldo22 wrote:

From most to least important:

• Audio driver sometimes stops working after waking from suspend.  This is intermittent; it usually happens once or twice per week, and is especially annoying when I have to start a Zoom meeting and the audio doesn't work.  The error is "We can't find an audio device - 0x8889000f".  The only way to fix it is to intentionally hibernate and resume or shut down and restart, which makes me think it was a software problem.  

We are having this exact issue. We started out on 1809 and now we're on 1909 with the problem still occurring. Did you find a fix? If not would you be interested in comparing notes on software that each of us have loaded to see if anything we both have could be causing it? If so, send me a PM. We've had a premier support case open with Microsoft but haven't been able to make much progress.

Options

8 Posts

02-06-2017

US

6 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-09-18, 2:35 AM

I don't think I've had this happen since BIOS update 1.36 and Lenovo Power Manager 10.0.127.0, both installed right after posting this in early August.

I may have had the audio issue happen once, but I'm not positive, and it hasn't happened in the past 3 weeks or so.

Options

3 Posts

02-12-2020

US

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-09-28, 13:56 PM

Hrmm. I'll check with the team but I believe we have those two items deployed on systems that have since experienced the problem. 

Options

3 Posts

02-12-2020

US

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-28, 15:29 PM

@ waldo22 wrote:

I don't think I've had this happen since BIOS update 1.36 and Lenovo Power Manager 10.0.127.0, both installed right after posting this in early August.

I may have had the audio issue happen once, but I'm not positive, and it hasn't happened in the past 3 weeks or so.

Are you using the Lenovo Smart Standby feature that uses Windows hibernation (S4 sleep)? We only see this happen when devices are migrated from S0 > S4 by Smart Standby and then when the machine is either moved back to S0 or is woken up by the user the Realtek audio won't work. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but when it does it's always after the machine was in an S4 sleep state. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete