Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from USD SSD results in bitlocker recovery

2021-05-02, 7:43 AM

Dear all,

My 7th Gen X1 Carbon comes with Windows 10 which is my main use for work. 

After hours, I would like to play around with Ubuntu and would therefore like to boot into Ubuntu from an external USB SSD.

I've created an external bootable SSD. This was done by first using the ubuntu live installer, which I booted into by F12 from the Lenovo start up screen.

The external bootable SSD was partitioned as follows: 1) FAT32 boot/efi partition; 2) linux-swap partition; 3) ext4 journaling partition for ubuntu.

I had initial bootloader / grub bash-like (?) problems with the SSD creation which I had to solve by moving the bootloader to the external SSD following the guide at https://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux

I also had to clean the dual boot configuration from the internal Windows SSD following the guide at https://www.58bits.com/blog/2020/02/28/how-create-truly-portable-ubuntu-installation-external-usb-hdd-or-ssd (part F towards the end of the post).

On the X1 Carbon UEFI settings (new graphical version, not the old text version), I had to disable secure boot and enable both legacy and UEFI boot. Additionally, in Windows, I disabled the fast boot settings to enable the "enter" interrupt to the Lenovo start up screen.

I get the following problems booting the external Ubuntu SSD:

1) when F12 at the Lenovo start up screen, I select the SSD, but there is no effect and the UEFI screen returns to the same boot disk selection page

2) when I give up trying to boot the external SSD, and return to Windows (internal SSD) - I must pass through the bitlocker recovery page (lucky I have the bitlocker recovery key!)

3) even when I remove the external SSD - or any time I plug in or remove - I get the bitlocker recovery page (luckily it is not fatal)!

I need some help to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from USD SSD results in bitlocker recovery

2021-05-03, 23:23 PM

Sorry to bump this topic. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Options

1285 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

537 Signins

6635 Page Views

• Views: 6635
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-05-04, 13:16 PM

Hello,

This is a peer to peer forum, and this thread is for Windows issues.   Only 1% of consumer pc's have a version of linux used on them.... :(

This forum should find more knowledgeable persons regarding Ubuntu installations:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/bd-p/lx02_en

I think what you want to accomplish is leaving your Windows 10 installation pristine, and occasionally booting a different OS installed on an External USB media.

I am not expert, I have heard that disabling secure boot in BIOS will invoke BitLocker problems.

Also if you modified the /boot and /boot /efi information on your main system drive this may also trigger BitLocker issues, it may have detected those changes and be suspicious of the installation.   Windows 10 uses the exact same directories during startup.

So first to restore your main system drive to "pristine" windows configuration:

To clear up the BitLocker issue, try entering BIOS setup screens and restoring Factory Defaults, and if available Optimize for OS, all for the UEFI Boot mode.

If that does not work, someone else may know how to clear that without a full reinstall of Windows.   Windows automated system repair modes may do it.

To install ubuntu on your external system drive so all you do is a Windows "SHUTDOWN" command, insert the external hard drive, enter boot order screen and change boot order to the desired USB media, try using this method:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent    I may be naive, but I think there is no difference to external booting whether the USB media is a memory stick, flash media card, or external "hard drive."   The latest versions of Ubuntu should boot with Secure Boot Enabled.   IF not there is a way to self certify and manually insert security keys into the bootable media.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-05-05, 4:31 AM

Usedtoberich, thanks for your reply. Most appreciated.

I think what you want to accomplish is leaving your Windows 10 installation pristine, and occasionally booting a different OS installed on an External USB media.

Yes, this is exactly what I want to achieve. 

So first to restore your main system drive to "pristine" windows configuration:

To clear up the BitLocker issue, try entering BIOS setup screens and restoring Factory Defaults, and if available Optimize for OS, all for the UEFI Boot mode.

If that does not work, someone else may know how to clear that without a full reinstall of Windows.   Windows automated system repair modes may do it.

I will try this. 

I will also try the Ubuntu forums as well. Thanks for guiding.

Fazz

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms