Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johor
Punch Card
Views: 881
Message 1 of 61

X1 Carbon 7th Gen sound card can't start

I posted here but it seems the post was deleted or didn't reach the server... I don't know. I'll repost my mini-praise for my newly aquired X1 Carbon 7th gen, which is great. 

I have an issue though, after updating Windows through Windows Updates and then doing the updates in the Lenovo Vantage software, the sound card can't be started anymore. I tried many, many things from uninstalling to re-installing drivers from different sources, no luck. Any clue someone?

Sound card issue.png

Moderator edit: Matched subject to content.

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 562
Message 2 of 61

Re: X1 Carbon 7th Gen sound card can't start

Could you please help to confirm what system version and intel smart audio technology version?

I tried on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen with the Intel smart audio, it has no Yellow Mark after windows update and system update.

And the OS version is 18362.239, intel smart audio driver version is 10.23.0.2618.

May you can try more times windows update and system update in Lenovo Vantage and have a check again.

Highlighted
Johor
Punch Card
Views: 530
Message 3 of 61

@AmyYu wrote:

Could you please help to confirm what system version and intel smart audio technology version?

I tried on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th Gen with the Intel smart audio, it has no Yellow Mark after windows update and system update.

And the OS version is 18362.239, intel smart audio driver version is 10.23.0.2618.

May you can try more times windows update and system update in Lenovo Vantage and have a check again.

I didn't see this answer until now, sorry.

I have the same OS version and same driver version for the Intel Smart Audio Driver. 

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 517
Message 4 of 61

So the Yellow Mark still existed on this version which is the same as me? Does it have some function impaction? 

Johor
Punch Card
Views: 499
Message 5 of 61

@AmyYu wrote:

So the Yellow Mark still existed on this version which is the same as me? Does it have some function impaction? 

Yes the yellow mark is still there. The impact it has is that audio just doesn't work (the icon in the taskbar shows a little red cross). I tried to re-install the driver. I tried to uninstall the driver, then reinstall it.

Eventually I achieved to make audio work by following an advice online, to install the wrong driver (a generic one). Then I reinstalled the right one and audio worked, yet, the yellow mark was there.

Yesterday I updated the BIOS in Lenovo Vantage and audio didn't work again, I kind of panicked because I forgot the procedure. I achieved to make it work again by uninstalling the device and reinstalling it. I still got the yellow mark but audio now works.

Another impact besides the yellow mark is that the Dolby configuration software shows an error, saying that it can't find the speakers.

By the way, the yellow mark shows on the OED driver that shows the yellow mark, but i got the sound to somehow work by uninstalling and reinstalling the SST-audio controller driver, see picture here:

image.png

This is a very brittle situation though I can use the machine in daily life for now. I'm afraid of the next update and would love to be able to use sound at its full potential on the expensive new computer, which otherwise I find nothing short of fantastic! Typing this on its amazing keyboard looking at a relaxing mate screen is great Smiley Happy 

Any pointer would be appreciated but I understand it's a weird one. Seems to be an isolated case.

PS: I even re-installed Windows, clean from an image downloaded on microsoft.com and I ended in the same situation...

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 494
Message 6 of 61

That's strange, I have the same OS and driver, but still not reproduce your bug.

Could you please provide your modules.log(C:\Windows\Modules.log) and csup.txt(C:\Windows\csup.txt) files?

Besides, please help to confirm what is your machine's MTM?

If we can reproduce your issue, then advices can be given.

Johor
Punch Card
Views: 486
Message 7 of 61

@AmyYu wrote:

That's strange, I have the same OS and driver, but still not reproduce your bug.

Could you please provide your modules.log(C:\Windows\Modules.log) and csup.txt(C:\Windows\csup.txt) files?

Besides, please help to confirm what is your machine's MTM?

If we can reproduce your issue, then advices can be given.

Hi,

There is no such file where indicated:

C:\Windows\Modules.log

C:\Windows\csup.txt

I also don't know what the machine's MTM is. Sorry!

Johor
Punch Card
Views: 468
Message 8 of 61

I'm sorry that I can't find what you're asking, maybe there's something to turn ON in order to get these logs? I made sure all hidden and protected files were displayed. 

I'm happy to follow any step by step in order to get to the bottom of that issue. Thanks!

Johor
Punch Card
Views: 442
Message 9 of 61

Hello,

Any further help on this case? Here the last answer I received from the mail support, before they closed the case without asking whether this helps:

"we found out that it is a Windows Update issue. Your device is not ready yet for Windows 1903, here is a list from Lenovo with devices that were tested and that are ready, yours is not in the list:
https://support.lenovo.com/hr/en/solutions/ht508488

Please make a rollback to he previous Windows version and everything should work normally again."

This is quite a bad answer, as this windows version is what ships with the X1C7. I expected Lenovo support to be better quality, at least not to close a case on such a bold generic answer. 

I understand my case seems isolated and weird but I'm a little clueless. Again I found a way to make audio work but still have the error in the Device Manager.

thanks.

Lenovo Employee AmyYu
Lenovo Employee
Views: 421
Message 10 of 61

I feel sorry about late reply. The Lenovo Support seems misunderstand your bug. It refers to the test machines that have coved the 18362 OS upgrade . Since your machine ship with 1903(18362) OS, there is no need to cover the upgrade scenario, it is not listed on that page.

Anyway, let's discuss your problems. First, we need to reproduce your bugs on order to analyze it. However, I tried on some machines with the same OS version and same driver version. Still not reproduced your bug.

Could you please press Ctrl+R button run 'msinfo32' and provide the System Model(such as: 20L5002HCD)?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors