Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

03-16-2010

United States of America

37 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 31 of 88

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Generation Touchpad

2020-10-08, 13:35 PM

Agree with you, I replaced my touchpad because they weren't doing onsite support due to Covid, wasn't hard to replace, and it definitely got better for a little while, then went right back to only partially sensing motion, taps, and clicks.  As one user reported, it works okay if you lay your finger on the pad for about 2 seconds, but that doesn't work, as you regularly lift your finger and place it back down.

What a mess.  I really dislike this Carbon, compared to all of my previous Thinkpads.

Options

25 Posts

03-16-2010

United States of America

37 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 32 of 88

2020-10-21, 16:14 PM

So quick update on my end, a Lenovo tech came out and replaced the touchpad again, even though I told them it likely wasn't worth it.  And within 1 hour of use, the issue was happening again.  Given that I've reset all touchpad settings to default, updated firmware, deleted and reinstalled the device, double checked BIOS, etc etc, this to me is a driver/firmware issue with the touchpad itself.  The fact that the new device relies on windows native drivers, rather than having custom drivers from say synaptics, to me is a problem.

But regardless, here I sit, with a fully loaded $2500 device that has a terribly annoying, consistent problem with such a rudimentary function, I'm left a bit at odds.  Now they are talking about replacing the motherboard, can't see how that will help.

But I'm not rebuilding this laptop, that's for sure.  It can take days or weeks to get all of my software, licenses, settings back to normal.  Especially with everyone working remote right now.  If rebuilding is the answer they give me, it will be either on a free Gen8 (which hopefully is more reliable) or I'll go to my parent company (D-e-l-l) and get what I used to consider an inferior product. 

Options

1 Posts

10-22-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 33 of 88

2020-10-22, 18:43 PM

Yes, this is certainly a windows driver issue. I have the same issue and then I partitioned and dual booted into Ubuntu. Never faced the issue for 2 weeks of use. Back to windows and the issue is back.  If I wanted to use only Ubuntu why would I pay the windows tax for this machine?

Options

25 Posts

04-27-2016

Slovakia

38 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 34 of 88

2020-10-27, 13:50 PM

I already wrote it to another topic today, but hey let's scream everywhere possible :) 

..and I sit here with completely new unpacked Carbon 7th with latest WIN10 updates and the issue is still there (same as for my previous one year old C7th  I  wrote about on previous pages)

Options

3 Posts

10-28-2020

Switzerland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 35 of 88

2020-10-28, 10:58 AM

Same issue here. Only after 2 seconds I put the finger on the touchpad I can move the pointer. This is ridiculous. 

On top of that when using the trackpoint, it permanently (about every 3rd time) moves on its own in the opposite direction. Apparently this is expected and 'totally normal'.  When I lower the sensitivity the problem occurs less often, but it takes ages to move from one side of the screen to the other one. Also unacceptable and ridiculous.

Never ever had that issue on older Lenovo laptops or on linux. 
In the current state the laptop is a huge disappointment, as well as that nobody on Lenovo side cares about the problem, known for over a year.

I also do not understand the idea of blaming it on windows and ignoring anything beyond that, while it is clearly a software issue and Lenovo should be responsible for making the hardware work with drivers shipped or available.

I am so embarrassed to have recommend Lenovo laptops to my colleagues at work.

Options

25 Posts

04-27-2016

Slovakia

38 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 36 of 88

2020-10-28, 22:12 PM

I'm trying to find out the differences in the drivers/firmware on both my new and old Carbons 7th gen.  Firstly on the brand new Carbon, there was Intel SMbus device shown in Device manager, but have no drivers installed (it says device not working properly as it's missing driver).  On old Carbon there was Synaptics SM Bus instead.

So I found Synaptics drivers on old Carbon (where touchpad works correctly) and installed it to new Carbon. Unfortunately, this won't solve the problem.

Also the difference is in the touchpad firmware ,  old Carbon FW 2949533 , new Carbon FW 3013337.  I can't find the previous version 2949533  anywhere , would be worth trying. Can some Lenovo representative provide it maybe , so I can test it ?  Interestingly the new version 3013337 is suppose to "Adjust 250ms suppression time on touchpad when using trackpoint for palm rejection enhancement"  . 

Options

3 Posts

10-28-2020

Switzerland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 37 of 88

2020-10-29, 22:43 PM

The problem with the touchpad can be reduced in my case (lately) by:
win-key : (type) touchpad settings->  touchpad sensitivity change from most sensitive(awful) to high sensitivity.

The trackpoint problem -- the permanent drift at higher sensitivity is absolutely horrible,; the low speed at lower sensitivity is absolutely horrible -- persists no matter what setting.
How can one destroy one major feature working for all previous generations of a product?

Options

25 Posts

04-27-2016

Slovakia

38 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 38 of 88

2020-10-30, 22:02 PM

Update*

Slowly getting there. Was able to remove the lag from touchpad while pressing trackpoint buttons . 

BUT,  it destroys the two,three finger scrolling and all gestures on touchpad. 

What I did was I went into Device manager - Human interface devices -  opened HID-compliant touchpad (it had Location : on I2C HID device) - Driver - Update driver - Browse computer - Let me pick from the list -> located the SynPD.inf which I have from another Carbon device .

Touchpad stopped working immediately,  after restart it worked again ,  lag is gone ,   so are the gestures unfortunatelly. 

In Human interface devices  there's new item  'HID-compliant vendor defined device' with Location : on Location 0    and also  'HID-compliant touchpad' changed Location to Location 0 . 

Now trying to revert it back as there's no Rollback driver option .

Options

25 Posts

04-27-2016

Slovakia

38 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 39 of 88

2020-10-31, 19:45 PM

For the trackpoint drift problem, I see there's firwmare update version 0x4B03  from July2020 with bellow description which seems related to your problem as you described it? Did you tried to install ? 

Options

13 Posts

09-01-2020

Lebanon

22 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 40 of 88

2020-11-01, 11:17 AM
Thank you soskolin this looks promising. Please keep us updated I'm sure we can find smthg here.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms