Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-22-2021

Poland

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 7th gen - win10 20H2 update issue, facial recognition keeps failing

2021-03-22, 0:59 AM

After downloading the latest updates my computer begun having problems with the camera. Although regular Camera app works fine, the system doesn't seem to detect the IR camera. Each time I try to log in using face recognition, I get "something went wrong, use your password instead" and when I hit "improve recognition" in system settings, it keeps returning some unidentified error and closing the window. 

I tried installing recommended drivers using Vantage, downloading camera drivers from support's website and even downgrading the driver, nothing helped.

Has anyone else encountered similar issue related to the update? 

Answer
Options

1319 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

90 Signins

6597 Page Views

• Views: 6597

Re:X1 Carbon 7th gen - win10 20H2 update issue, facial recognition keeps failing

2021-03-22, 10:49 AM

Hello greenkeys,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I'm sorry that you're having facial recognition issues

I suggest that you go to BIOS, load default settings then save and exit.
Have you also checked for the latest BIOS update from the support site?

Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(4)
Answer
Options

1319 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

90 Signins

6597 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:X1 Carbon 7th gen - win10 20H2 update issue, facial recognition keeps failing

2021-03-22, 10:49 AM

Hello greenkeys,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I'm sorry that you're having facial recognition issues

I suggest that you go to BIOS, load default settings then save and exit.
Have you also checked for the latest BIOS update from the support site?

Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2140 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

233 Signins

10941 Page Views

• Views: 10941
  • Message 3 of 5

2021-03-22, 11:27 AM

Hi greenkeys,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If what Lorenzo suggest doesn't help, then I'd try to roll back the update or use a System Restore Point to set the device back to a state where it was working, while also disabling the Automatic hardware driver updates. In the even this doesn't help solve the issue, then there's a witch hunt in trying to figure out where the incompatible drivers from the Win 20H2 update are and what the incompatibility is, so a system recovery/reset is the best course of action in this case:

Step 1. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :
- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.
- Click “Update & security”
- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.
- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”
- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

Step 1.2. System Restore Point
- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"
- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  
- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.
**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 2. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"    
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 3. Windows Reset/Recovery
**This is a complete factory reset of the computer
**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Stay disconnected from the Internet after entering the OS again, then perform step 2. before allowing any Windows updates to take place.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

03-22-2021

Poland

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-03-22, 13:58 PM

Hello Gentlemen, my pleasure to meet you.

Thank you for your answers.

Entering the BIOS turned out to be the cure.

I spent a while in the setup and I found an option called "enhanced biometric security" with annotation that said this option should be disabled on newer win10 installations. 

After disabling it and booting into updated system, face recognition works again. 

Options

1319 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

90 Signins

6597 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-04-07, 22:09 PM

Great to hear it's ok now.

If you have any questions, feel free to voice it out here in the forums

Best regards,

Lorenzo_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms