Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

02-25-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 40

Re:X1 Carbon 8th Generation - Internal Microphone not recognized. Reboot fixes it temporarily

2021-02-25, 14:39 PM

Is there now a solution to this problem?  I have just purchased a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen8 and for no reason the microphone disconnects and is extremely problematic for meetings when it works and then doesn't so you have to reboot at the start of the meeting.

Options

1 Posts

04-08-2021

Australia

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 32 of 40

Re:X1 Carbon 8th Generation - Internal Microphone not recognized. Reboot fixes it temporarily

2021-04-08, 1:27 AM

I have had exactly the same issue with my Gen 8.  It is a known issue, but there appears to be no pending solution.  The same issue has been raised many times on forums.  My new Gen 8 (bought last year) had this issue, but then eventually the mic stopped working altogether (reboot didn't help).  Lenovo replaced it with a new Gen 8.  The new one worked for about a week before doing the same again.  Windows updates tend to make it worse.  Recommend raising the issue with Lenovo so at least they understand how widespread this issue is - we're all working remotely and it is a huge disruption for a business laptop not to be capable of calls / conferences.  

Options

1 Posts

05-11-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 33 of 40

2021-05-11, 20:27 PM

I recently purchased the Lenovo Think Pad X1 Carbon and the microphone is not working - does anyone have a fix for this? 

Options

1 Posts

05-19-2021

Germany

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 34 of 40

2021-05-19, 10:23 AM

I also have a similar problem:

After one year of usage my YogaX1Gen4 doesn't recognize the microphone anymore (already updated driver etc). Reboot does NOT help in my case, however I don't think it's a hardware issue because from time to time it decides to work again until I shut down.

Any ideas?

Answer
Options

31 Posts

12-19-2013

United States of America

55 Signins

281 Page Views

• Views: 281
  • Message 35 of 40

2021-06-11, 15:14 PM

Double check your windows microphone privacy settings!! This worked for me recently.

Make sure apps have access to the microphone

Microphone settings

If your microphone isn't detected after updating Windows 10, you may need to give your apps permission to use it.

• To let apps access the microphone, select Start  ,then select Settings  > Privacy  > Microphone  . Select Change, then turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.

• After allowing access to the microphone, you can choose which Microsoft Store apps can access these features under Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone, and give access to non-Microsoft-Store desktop apps by ensuring that the switch beneath Allow desktop apps to access your microphone is set to On.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

07-31-2021

Canada

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 36 of 40

2021-07-31, 2:11 AM

Still a huge headache. Privacy settings do not work!

Options

1 Posts

08-17-2021

Thailand

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 37 of 40

2021-08-17, 3:30 AM

I had this problem on my X1 Carbon Gen 8 and tried everything I could find on the various forums without success.  My issue was the "No input devices found" in the sound settings, and no microphone was showing in the Device Manager Audio inputs and outputs.

Finally, I got the mic working again this way:

1. Made a new system restore point in case I messed anything up.

2.  Downloaded "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad" from here.

3. Installed that and followed the installation wizard completely and rebooted.  Then, I got an error that the drivers are incompatible with my device (sorry I didn't copy down the exact error).

4. Then I got the "Realtek Audio Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1809 or Later) - ThinkPad X1 Yoga 5th Gen, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 8th Gen" from here.

5. Installed that, rebooted,

6. Now the "Microphone Array (Intel Smart Sound Technology Intel SST" shows in the Device Manager.

7.  And it works now!

Seems like a difficult issue and different fixes work for different people.  This way worked for me.

Good luck!

Options

7 Posts

08-25-2020

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 38 of 40

2021-08-17, 11:36 AM

Same fault with my X1 yoga 5th gen - was without the laptop for 6 weeks last year as they decided it screen and camera replacement to repair the fault with the missing microphone.

Now suddenly recurred again and having to rely on an external webcam. Reboots don't fix it (full USB recovery fixes the issue for a day or so). 

Partly reassured that other people have issue but points to a serious quality control issue with Lenovo?

I guess I probably have to accept that a less than 2 year old laptop isnt fit for purpose if I have to be without it a few weeks every year or so for repairs.

Options

1 Posts

05-20-2014

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 39 of 40

2021-09-18, 8:29 AM

Dear all,

I tried all the solutions mentioned by different users in this thread.  Unfortunately the issue remains unresolved.  I was wondering if it is Lenovo or Microsoft Windows which is causing this issue in the first place so that the root cause can be addressed.  It looks like we have to live with any issue that will start to pop up with newer releases of both Lenovo and Microsoft and people have to suffer the consequences since all these releases are not tested and certified for older products.  We are yet to suffer more now with the release of Windows 11 !  What is witnessed in the past is that all newer versions have created more problems than the promised smoothness and customers are forced to purchase newer and newer versions of hardware and software.  Life was so good with Windows 7 and the whole never ending solutionless problems started with Windows 8.1 onwards 

Request LENOVO to consider this and only issue certified updates to old products and issue a patch which will rectify this issue once and for all in all the cases.

Options

7 Posts

08-25-2020

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 40 of 40

2021-09-19, 9:49 AM

I'd agree - definitely not solved from my perspective - although lenovo have closed the service request without fixing the issue!

So part of the issue seems to be with the Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology OED driver

A temporary fix appears to be to force the above module to use an older driver (specifically the 07/09/2020 version.

After changing the driver and re-booting the microphone array re-appears.

Unfortunately this fix only lasts for a couple of days before recurring.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms