Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gooman2
Paper Tape
Views: 926
Message 1 of 2

X1 Carbon - Adaptive Function Keys won't switch modes after update

Since a series of recent updates (Windows 10 updates and BIOS), my Adaptive Function Keys won't switch modes. The function key strip is stuck in the F-key mode. Function keys F1 through F12 work OK, as do the additional four icon keys on the right-hand end.

But they won't auto switch based on foreground application as set in Control Panel->Adaptive Keyboard, nor do they obey the default mode as set in the control panel applet, nor will they switch manually when I press the Fn key on the strip.

"Fn and function keys" is listed under System Devices in the Device Manager, using driver version 9.0.2.18 dated 02/11/2018. I've downloaded the HOTKEYS driver and reinstalled it successfully, but with no change.

What can I do to re-enable the autoswitch (or even manual switch) capability of the Adaptive Function Keys?

jvalenti370
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 2 of 2

Re: X1 Carbon - Adaptive Function Keys won't switch modes after update

I have the same problem...

and to elaborate slightly: only the F-keys are visible now. The button at the far left is supposed to toggle through the modes, but it nothing happens when I press (or press-hold) that toggle.

Note 1: The function keys do work, but I but simultaneously press-hold the Function (windows) key, then the F-button in question.

Note 2: the four "adaptive" buttons at the right work fine. The gear at the far-right, for example, brings up the Adaptive Keyboard settings (and I am able to confirm that all four available modes are active).

In other posts, I read that updating the power management driver from Lenovo for my 20A7 would fix the problem. It did not!

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Again, this did NOT work as others have claimed previously.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors