cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devnulljp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 644
Message 1 of 3

X1 Carbon: Disabling trackpad and buttons but not trackpoint?

I have an X1 Carbon Gen 3

On all my previous Thinkpads wasy back since the T20 I've disabled the trackpad and buttons in the BIOS, but with this one disabling the Trackpad seems to leave the buttons active. I've always hated trackpads, and use the trackpoint or a mouse. I keep hitting the buttons when typing, which causes problems.

Don't want tto diasble the trackpoint, just the pad and buttons. Possible?

Also, a Windows Control Panel solution won't work as I run Linux.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 588
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon: Disabling trackpad and buttons but not trackpoint?

I don't have a 3rd gen carbon to test, so I hope someone with one can add something.  As far as I remember, T20 didn't have a touchpad option.  The keyboard assembly had the trackpoint and the 2 mouse buttons.  I think T30 was the first thinkpad with a trackpoint and a touchpad.  I believe that disabling the trackpoint killed the red stick and the buttons that were part of the keyboard.  The 2 buttons below the touchpad were still operational.  If you turned off the touchpad, the pad and the buttons below the pad were off, but the red stick and the buttons on the keyboard still worked.  I am typing this on a 2nd gen x1 yoga which is VERY much like a 4th gen Carbon and I had always thought the 3rd gen carbon worked like the 4th gen carbon.  On my X1 Yoga, the pad, stick and buttons work like the T30.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
devnulljp
Fanfold Paper
Views: 585
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Carbon: Disabling trackpad and buttons but not trackpoint?

You're right the T20 and T23 didn't have the trackpad -- just the trackpoint and buttons. I guess the T40 was the first I had with both trackpad and trackpoint. I've been using my old T500 now for many years, but it finally died so was replaced by the X1. On the T40 and T500, I diabled the trackpad in the BIOS and kept the trackpoint working. Trouble with the X1 is that I've diabled the trackpad in the BIOS, but the buttons reamin active and are in the way when typing, so I keep hitting them, causing the cursor to jump around. The buttons werre smaller in the previous incarnations so didn't get in the way so much.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors