Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
technomorph
Paper Tape
Views: 3,039
Message 1 of 18

X1 Carbon - Driver Sierra Wireless EM7345 showing "Insert a SIM"

Hello everyone, I'm a bit desperate because I already tried so much.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo X240, BIOS version 2.3 and the WWAN functionality broke about two weeks ago and I'm quite sure that this is related to a few updates that came either with Windows or more likely with Lenovo System Update which had a BIOS update and some driver updates alongside at that time.

I cannot even try to establish a connection to the Deutsche Telekom LTE network, because all I'm seeing is "Insert a SIM" in the connection bar.

This is what I tried so far:

• Use a different, well known working SIM card.
  • Re-Install the driver package
  • Uninstall and re-install the driver package
  • use the "repair" function of the driver package setup
  • BIOS downgrade from 2.3 to 2.29
  • Disable and enable the WWAN functionality in the BIOS
  • Replace the mainboard (lenovo service technician just went away an hour ago)

And I'm still having the same issue. Now it's really nailed down to be either the BIOS or the driver in win 8.1 x64. One thing makes me wonder:

When I choose to update the driver in the device manager and the Sierra card details, I'm pointing Windows direclty to the directory that contains the inf files and the device manager tells me that "The best driver software for your device is already installed." and shows me a "Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter". Is this an indicator for Windows completely ignoring all drivers in the setup directory of the driver package?

Also, when I lookup the driver details, it tells me that the diver provider is Microsoft. Shouldn't that be Sierra networks or something like this? It shows me version 6.3.9600.16453 from 2013-10-31

Any idea if this or something else is the cause and what the remediation is?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jürgen

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,024
Message 2 of 18

Re: X1 Carbon - Driver Sierra Wireless EM7345 showing "Insert a SIM"

Hi, Jürgen

What wwan card related items are there in the device manager now? Are there unknown devices, as well with "1 CDC" context in the name?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

dtscaps
Token Ring
Views: 2,990
Message 3 of 18

I have seen success by upgrading the firmware on the 7345 adapter to WordWide 09.

See:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440p-no-SIM-detected/td-p...

and

http://zukota.com

technomorph
Paper Tape
Views: 2,962
Message 4 of 18

Hi, no there are no unknown devices. The devices appears correctly as "Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE". Really suspicious are the driver details. Those are:

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 31.10.2013

Driver Version: 6.3.9600.16453

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Shouldn't that be a driver from Sierra Wireless, stating a version like 1.6.10513.4153  like the package at the Lenovo driver downloads at http://support.lenovo.com/de/de/downloads/ds040771 is stating?

Thanks

technomorph
Paper Tape
Views: 2,960
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the suggestion but I doubt that this related to the firmware version as I did not change anything related to the firmware version and it worked before.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,953
Message 6 of 18

The driver with details above is win8 built-in one with native MBIM mode support. It doesn't allow neither fw update nor modem manage as well sim card installed.

What's the fw version in the LTE modem? Open command line window and type in the following string:
netsh mbn sh cap int=*

Show the output here (remove device ID value for your privacy).

The latest Sierra drivers Lenovo provides are:
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gtwo36ww.exe

W/o Sierra's drivers the only way to troubleshoot I see is to remove LTE device from Device Manager and reboot laptop to allow Windows to find device and to reinstall drivers.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

technomorph
Paper Tape
Views: 2,940
Message 7 of 18

Hi x220forMe,

This is the output from the nets command:

C:\Windows\system32>netsh mbn sh cap int=*

Device capability information for interface Mobile broadband 2:
-------------------------------------------------------
Device type : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the sy
stem
Cellular class : GSM
Voice class : No voice
Sim class : SIM is removable
Data class : GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE
GSM band class : Unknown
SMS capability : PDU receive, PDU send
Control capability : Manual network selection is allowed
USSD support available

Device Id : 0XXXXXXXXXXXX

Manufacturer : Sierra Wireless Inc.
Model : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
Firmware Information : FIH7160_V1.1_MODEM_01.1349.12
Maximum activation contexts : 8

I tried your approach and removed the device from the device manager (went to network adapters, "Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE" --> Right Click --> Uninstall --> Reboot --> still leveraging version 6.3.9600.16453 from Microsoft  :-(

The files in use are:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\wmbclass.sys

Is there anybody who has the card working with Windows 8.1 x64 and can provide the driver files, manufacturer, version and date in use?

Thanks,

Jürgen

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,936
Message 8 of 18

FW version installed is too old, Sierra drivers package includes updated fw also.
It might need the small efforts to reflash new fw in the manual mode.

You can reflash the card w/o Sierra drivers installation if you won't to use them. But, again, you lost (to be exact, don't get) modem and sim card management capabilities.

technomorph
Paper Tape
Views: 2,921
Message 9 of 18

Hi all,

after all this hassle, I decided to go with a fresh OS install. Because I wanted to test the March Preview of Windows 10 (Build 10041), I did a complete fresh installation of this and guess what the result is:

I'm having the very same behaviour as with Windows 8.1.

Still the drivers in use are vwifibus.sys and wmbclass.sys and the error message still is "Insert a SIM". **bleep**? The same is true after installing the latest Windows 8.1 drivers from the Lenovo Support web site.

After all the issues I tried to flash the firmware. As it seems, the M.2 WWAN Firmware Updater Tool does not recognize my LTE module ("Device Information: Device not found or removed").

What's wrong here? Please help.

Thanks,

Jürgen

Parrotos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,905
Message 10 of 18

I dont no what the admins here on lenovo forum doing...I beg  the Lenovo administrators to help the people with concrete solutions here in problem cases....etc...and if they do not have a solution ...then please you  should learn it..how the things works...etc...

please check this out about you Sierra Wireless EM7345 ...und falls du noch ärger hast meld dich einfach...mfg.

http://zukota.com/sierra-wireless-em7345-how-to-flash-the-latest-firmware/

Best regards .....

Mod Comment: Over sized, and non-constructive image removed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors